Had really good classes this week!

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Saved_in_Blood, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I'm still a green belt and working toward my purple, which should only be a week or 2 away... I'm not really worried about rank actually, but I'm far enough up that we are starting to work on trapping and counter strikes. It was the first time we had done this. One of my instructors has a good knowledge of pressure points and is good with improvisation with the CHKD from the other arts he's done, so I really got my eyes opened to a lot of stuff that helped me with better trapping and strikes... which strikes to use that don't leave you open for punches or kicks, etc. I have a lot to learn of course. We start the 4 corners I think in my next belt, so that will be fun. I'm still going to do the private Muay Thai lessons because CHKD has a lot of elbow strikes and knees that are used in it, so I feel this is a good art to compliment it... and learn more in general.

2. Saved_in_Blood

My Sensei is still recovering from his back surgery in which he had some arthritis scraped off his spine and something else done I don't recall what. I think I would ask for his permission for us in the CHKD classes to have at least a 1-1.5 hour class during the week that would focus on the strikes and how they would be applied in real life situations. I would personally be willing to pay a little extra per month for that. The warm ups are good, but a 10 minute warm up just isn't enough. I want sweat, bruises, blood... it really doesn't matter if I am getting as much out of it as possible.

Maybe going to far by asking him?

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Do you want to warm up so you can work on your technical ability or do you want a cardio workout?

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Just go for a run after class, Warmups are meant to warm you up they're not a S&C session.

5. Saved_in_Blood

It's not about the warm up... I mean I want to spend more time on the actual trapping and counter work like we did last week. It's a lot more important IMO and has more to do with real world type of work. The cardio part I'm not worried about as I ride a bike for an hour and 20 minutes 4-5 times per week. Warming up is fine, but making sure the strikes are accurate and precise along with the trapping is just as important... I'd just like to add more time doing it, and I can't really do that at home since I don't have a training partner.... or anyone from class local to me.