Had a really excellent stick fighting class tonight!

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by aaradia, Jan 21, 2014.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I just had to talk about it someplace where someone might understand.

Usually, our stick fighting classes are drills and then matches based on our sparring rules. But tonight was different. Tonight was self defense oriented in a way we haven't done in our stick fighting before.

The theme of the night was if one person was unarmed and being attacked by someone with a stick. First drill was about controlling the arm with the stick. Then we did drills where we controlled the arm and then attempted to grab the stick from the attacker - disarming techniques.

The attacks were full on power- almost full speed to full speed - attacker moving forward with multiple swings that could target anywhere.

I did pretty well overall. I did have a tendancy sometimes to successfully get the weapon out of the attackers hand, but have it fling off somewhere instead of grabbing control of it myself. Something to work on.

Anyways, I REALLY enjoyed it! And I felt good that I actually could control/ disarm someone swinging full power/ speed at me.

Our instructor said that our Sifu is planning on adding more variety of weapons fighting in the future to the school. Actual contact fighting with staffs, and even with daggers. (I assume those plastic daggers?)

We spar, we have drills, etc. but they are mostly non weapon stuff. Our weapon stuff is mostly forms and techniques. Which was fine because most Chinese weapons are not practical to carry down the street. So I focused on the hand stuff for practical defense/ fighting and the weapon stuff for building co-ordination, strength, and knowing body targets. And just because Chinese weapons are fun.

But the thought of adding some hands on practice fighting with daggers and staff sounds really exciting! It isn't starting immediately, but I will be at the school whenever it starts.

This is one reason I love my school. They don't just get stuck in the status quo. And they could. They have been around and successful for almost 30 years. They could stick with the same thing that has worked. But they don't. They are always looking for ways to improve their teachings. That is why they added submission grappling 7 or so years ago, then stick fighting a couple of years ago. Now, more fun stuff is on the way!

Anyways, MA forums are the only place where I can talk about this and other people would get why I am so exicted. I just had to share.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Nothing quite like a stick swinging at you at 70mph to get you angling off correctly.

3. aaradia

70mph?

Is that actually the speed of the average swing of a stick?

How would anyone know that?

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Just remember to switch gloves in between bouts. :D

Eejit here forgot and left his MMA gloves on, thought I'd broke a couple of fingers after. :eek:

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I forget the name of them but devices you can tie to things to measure their speed aren't hard to get. You've clearly never watched a sport science or mythbusters show :p

6. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

That's normal. Or having a (training) knife drop point first on your foot. Our school is really small. We find ourselves ducking a lot.

I think there is a youtube video where they are checking the speed etc with a group of FMA guys. I can't find it!! i'll try and dig it out later,

7. THEFOREVERMAN

THEFOREVERMAN Banned Banned

Wow, thanks for the inspiring words. I train almost every day. (I know that's not impressive) but I'm a really busy person ant that's what I do on my off-time. Where do you teach? And I've been looking for someone to guide me in my training.

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Depends which bit of the stick you measure I think.
    The tip will be travelling substantially faster than the bit you hold for example.

9. THEFOREVERMAN

70mph stick

I think that's a given, I think it resembles a pendulum.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That's excellent Aaradia! Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much. Mind you, I'm a little biased. Eskrima is my base style, so I've spent a lot of time contemplating the wrong end of a fast-moving stick.

11. aaradia

Are you asking me?

I am not a teacher. Just a humble student. I train at White Dragon Martial Arts - La Mesa location in San Diego, Ca. USA. Odds are, you don't live in my area, but if you do, PM me if you want more info.

12. THEFOREVERMAN

Ah, when I read it, it sounded like you were the teacher. I live in mi
    Thanks anyways!

13. aaradia

You are correct, I have not watched these types of shows. Oh, except I caught a few of some show that compared -scientifically - the efficiency of two differing MA styles. Forget what it was called.

Welll, we don't use eskrima or other sticks in our stick fighting. We use those foam covered pvc pipe sticks. MMA gloves work just fine, but if you get the open part of your fingers hit just right, it can sting. What kind of gloves do you use?

I am guessing they move through the air a bit slower than 70 mph, but it seemed fast enough for practice to me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  14. aaradia

At one point, I found myself doing something really dumb and realizing how dumb it was immediately afterwards. My opponents stick went flying and my instinct was to grab the stick, But I turned my back on my opponent when doing so. It was a reminder to me to not be so focused on a weapon that you forget your empty hand abilities. If it had been a real attack, I had openings for empty hand strikes, but I bent over with my back facing my opponent - giving him quite the opening. Doh!

If you can find that video, I would love to see it!

15. THEFOREVERMAN

Turning away form enemy

I saw this post and... I just wanted to share what I would have done.
    When you lost the weapon, he immediately thinks he may have one, I would have charged him with extreme speed and power, depending on the spar match, and attack, doing my best to get past his weapon(because its better at range, like 2 feet?) and throw some muaythai moves, striking him aback.:hat:

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

And as you have no skill or training whatsoever you would have been knocked flat on your ass

Stop offering advice when you have no knowledge

17. Hannibal

@ Aaradia - as kali is a big favourite of mine I thought I would share some love with you...

Here is "Lucky Dog" with a simple yet functional disarm. It can be readily modified for EH vs stick (and has been) and you may have fun playing with it

Enjoy!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ9qQuq9xhM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ9qQuq9xhM[/ame]

18. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

What 'Annibal said.

One of the simpliest but functionalist :)p) disarms...bit of a favourite of mine.

19. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Eskrima/stick fighting gloves. They give more coverage for your fingers.

Day to day stuff I use a cheap pair of TapOut MMA gloves but they aren't very good when you are going all out with sticks, or I don't bother unless we're putting some umph behind things.

20. Hannibal

I use Lacrosse gloves - they are pretty cheap and offer mobility and protection...plus you can punch in them

Hockey gloves are also useful, but are a bit unwieldly for my tastes.