Gymnastics In The Martial Arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Chazz, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

What do you all think of people adding gymnastics moves to martial arts when the compete in a MARTIAL ARTS TOURNAMENT?

:cool:

2. waya

waya Valued Member

I think they are great to watch, but I'm not sure that they have much real connection to the actual art or to defensive use, although doing the more complicated technique could improve the performance of the basic. To me it is a promotional evolution of techniques more than a usefull one. But then again I'm not a gymnast so I could be wrong lol. But from a viewing standpoint it has to be difficult and it's fun to see.

Rob

3. Chazz

I love to watch it but when its done in a tournament all traditional martial artist will loose 95% of the time. I think that they are great in Demos but should be left out of the traditional forms.

Thats just my thougths
    Chazz

4. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

I am no gymnast either! LOL

Gymnastics is the art of balance and flow is it not? We are (eventually) expected to do both in our kata so I can see the validity of gymnastic movement, but how it could be put accross in a defensive way must be quite challenging. Something I would like to see eventually.

Is there any room for this in MA - that would be worth having a go at answering if only I was experienced enough....:(

Melanie

5. waya

waya Valued Member

I have a younger aunt that does it (she's 21 in May). But I haven't seen her actually apply it in a defense situation. She did incorporate martial arts techniques into gymnastic dance and won several competitions that way before she stopped competing though. Maybe there are uses for it but I agree that they should be seperated from traditional forms and techniques.

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

It depends what you mean by gymnastics. While studying the martial arts we're expected to achieve a high level of balance, co-ordination and physical fitness which are also the key points of gymnastics. I think that its good to incorporate it into your training as long as its just an aid to help you improve balance, co-ordination etc. As long as we don't start teaching people to do cartwheels and backflips when someone tries to mug them we should be ok :)

7. waya

waya Valued Member

lol Those are the things I was thinking of. The flips and things of that sort that you see in demos now. 720 degree arial kicks etc. Those are the things my aunt did when she did dance routines, she would use the gymnastics techniques (backflips, arial flips etc.) and add kicks to them. I have to admit, I may not see it as being very usefull, but I have alot of respect for anyone that can do it.... I'd break my neck if I tried lol.

8. Chazz

Yeah the kind of thing that im talking about about the back flips, and cartwheels, and all of those arial kicks and punchs. I live to watch them and i do give them a hand that they can do it but most of them have no practical use what so ever. They may say that the back flip has a double downward kick to it, but when would something like that ever work and how likely would it be for someone to land it in a fight?

-Chazz

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

A pet annoyance of mine is when people find out that you practice martial arts and they expect you to be able to perform buffy the vampire slayer or Jet Li choreographed flying spinning techniques

10. Chazz

*LOL* Tell me about it or ask you to fly and stand on leaves like on Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

-Chazz

11. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

What are you all bitching about?

I'm 67 years old, with one leg ( and that's wooden ) and I can still do a back flip an land in the splits.

i tell you, you young people... no appreciation.......mumble..............mumble

12. waya

waya Valued Member

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like those old "I walked 12 miles to school up hill both ways in the snow" things. I usually respond to the backflips by telling the person they have it switched around..... The person I am fighting does all the backflips after a shot to the stomach followed by a round or front kick to the face when they are bent over lol. At least it ends the subject quickly lol. :)

13. Kat

Kat Valued Member

I think people have to understand that MA is no longer about pure Combat.A perfect example is modern Wu Shu which will be included in the upcoming Oylimpics.Wushu is more or less dance routines that derive from Chinese MA.Don"t get me wrong,the average joe could not perform this stuff,I would put it on the same level as gymnastic floor routines.These people are strong fit and flexible,many do spar,but its not combat training.
    Tae Bo and Boxercise is other examples,I train with many women and men who have undoubtly increased their fittness but have little impact value in their uppercutts.
    I just want to make the point that people join and stay at MA schools now for a variety of different reasons then just pure I want to learn to defend myself vibe.:woo:
    ps just wanted to use that icon,no offence
    As long as people recognize the differing preceptions.all cool.:D

14. Chazz

Well as i said before, I understand Wushu. BUT, cartwheels, tucks and thing of that nature are not Wushu. Yeah they look like a dance, but there is a difference when a korean styleist does a back hand spring round off and says they are kicks. Thats what i dont like

15. waya

waya Valued Member

I don't train purely for defense.... Although that is the majority of the type of training I do, the largest reason for my training is to better myself as a person and to learn and expand my mind. The fighting abilities are a large part but to me are nothing without the mental aspect...

Rob

16. Chazz

Point taken.
    To me martial arts is a mental art as well. It learn the history of a country, a style, and the meanings behind things can be mind bending. That a reason i love so much.
    -Chazz

17. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Hey Chazz
    I understand about the Backflip deal,but I find some schools see this sort of stuff as methods of training as in balance coordination intent,which they can then apply to fighting.Thats not saying that they will do a backflip and kick them in the head.
    The other aspect is that,hey it looks cool to do those things.
    Waya
    I am down here in OZ but you may have seen some interesting rolls jumps flips at that Bujinkan seminar,its often used as warmups in our dojos.

Your right,I don't buy it when they say it is a combat effective application

Last edited: Feb 23, 2002
  18. waya

waya Valued Member

Kat,
    They did some rollouts from falls which were practical but there ws not one single backflip lol. I do more acrobatics in TKD than those guys do in that art.
    You guys have a large following for Hapkido down there I have heard...

I guess in a way gymnastics could be compared to some of the flying and spinning kicks in TKD, the tornado kick, tornado axe kick etc. nice to watch but how effective will they be when you try them on someone with experience?

19. Chazz

We (TKD) do use a lot a jump spin kicks and we do practice simple rolls, but we dont do the back flips and cart wheels or anything like that *LOL*

-Chazz

20. waya

waya Valued Member

lol the day I get told to do a cartwheel I will retire to a rocking chair on the porch and let them younguns do that stuff LOL