Gym for martial arts noob

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by zakariyya21, Dec 2, 2012.

1. zakariyya21

zakariyya21 Valued Member

When you train in the gym what are your aims for gym? Do you train for looks, endurance, strength etc?

For a beginner martial artist what would you recomend focusing on in the gym?

2. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Treadmill for when I can't jump rope or run outside in winter. Other than that I just do basic compound lift. Squats, deadlifts, bench press, bent over rows, military press. Sometimes it's nice to throw in some heavy bodyweight exercises like pull ups, chin ups, dips. I also do diamond push ups and a single dumbell press along the centerline on the bench to increase strength and coordination for straight punches.

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I do "general training" with all machines but I'll use the following 3 machines to tain someting "special".

I use this machine to train my "arm twisting".

[​IMG]

this machine to train my "leg lifting".

[​IMG]

and this machine to train my shoulder throw, leg block, ...

[​IMG]

4. Considered

Considered New Member

• Not getting into a fight
    • Running on the treadmill
    • Messing about with the swiss ball

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  5. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Everyone can benefit from better fitness. As long as you're not injuring yourself or burning yourself out go for it!

6. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Strength and Explosive power. Although I'm currently finishing a sting with Bodyweights, tomorrow I should start Rushfit (just to see what it does).

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I asked GSP about rush fit. His response was that if you train regularly (if your not a fan boy) the rush fit isn't for you.

8. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I've been taking a break from powerlifting for a couple of months now, working on other stuff, rushfit is only 3 days a week, and they reccomend "cardio" on the off days. For me, rushfit is going to be the off day and the other 3-4 on Muay Thai and BJJ.

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Cardio, and basic compound lifts IF you have someone to show you how to do them safely.