Gym Etiquette

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Combatant, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

In the gyms I go to there seems to be a growing number of people with absolutly no 'gym etiquette'. So I thought I would start a bit of a rant thread to see what annoys people the most in gyms!!! :bang:

My worst pet hates are;

1) People not wiping sweat off benches they have just used.

2) People doing bicep curls in the power rack or spot rack. This is such a waste of a good bit of equipment.

3) People walking around you when they have no need to be that close while you are doing very heavy squats and deadlifts. All it takes it for you to move a little out of your groove because some idiot bumped into you and you could have a serious back injury.

4) Gym gurus (instructors and patrons alike). you know the ones I mean, the one who stands in the gym doing nothing but talking to everyone and shelling out his wealth of fitness knowlegdge which is straight out of the muscle comics.

5) People chucking dumbells and barbells on the floor after EVERY set in an attempt to get attention.

6) People who feel the need to scream on every set and even get there freinds to join in on it by 'phsycing them up' and getting them in 'the zone' by slapping them around the head or something.

I have hundreds of others but I wont go on too much. I will be interested to see what others pet hates are and whether I am or have been guilty of them in the past. :p

Last edited: Oct 7, 2005
  2. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

People who wee on the coals in the sauna for a laugh!!!! :bang:

3. Combatant

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p I always get burnt with the steam when i do it! :D

4. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

The people that walk round in the look at me I'm so big and hard kind of way....

They'll walk past the punch bag and hit it with a few of the worst punches you've ever seen.

And the best bit, they decided they wanted to be gym buddies after they saw I could do a bit of something on the bag!!!

Go away :D

5. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I have not been to a gym in ages, prefer to workout at home. But a few things that I found irritating were:

People flexing in front of the mirror. That just makes me laugh.

People who don’t know what they are doing, keeping bad form, using extremely light weights and doing reps really fast, basically getting all flustered over nothing. I find it scary to watch, its captivating though cause any second you expect them to injure themselves.

6. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

There used to be this guy who worked out at my local gym. He was about 600lb. I'm not kidding you. When he would get off a bench the thing would be nearly dripping wet and he never wiped any of it off.

7. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

I don't understand how they manage it?!?! They race through everything and I just sit there, captivated, waiting for something to just go *pop*, but oddly enough it never happens. :confused: :bang:

8. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

People who hog all of the equipment like they have a towel on a bench then their maximuscle shaker on another, about 5 sets of dumbells, then you come across to take the bench that they havent used in half and hour and get a reply of im using that :bang:

Another 2 that have all ready been mentioned is the curling in the rank that annoys me soo much on leg day, along with those damn uninformed fools that call themselves personal trainers giving me their so called "right" info in the middle of a heavy squat.

But one that seriously annoys me is when people stare at me in the middle of a set i dont mind people looking its those that stare. I feel like grabbing my dumbells and chucking them at them. :D

Last edited: Oct 7, 2005
  9. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

The people where they come in a massive pack and hang aruoind and giggle/cackle and so on and never actually do anything!
    The people who do anything other than a powerlift or olympic lift and drop the weights its just like dude, your a fool. Bicep curls do NOT warrant dropping the dumells, just show your too weak to curl it and control it properly!
    The people who ask 'Are you finished with that?' when your sitting on the bench, looking at your watch to time your rest.
    The peop[le who are doing like 60kg dumbell press and ttheir spotter is getting the best upright-brow workout in history

10. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

My pet hate is... people.

I hate them being in my gym - if you're in my gym then you're probably annoying me.

...get out.

11. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i also hate it when people leave their sweat behind. it's so irritating and so low.

i don't like when people make really loud noises while lifting a lot of weight. i always get the impression that they will burst like a bubble. :D

and what i really hate is when someone showers and doesn't clean it afterwards, like leaving hair all around, especially in the case of women with long hait etc.

and BTW why is this thread in the health section? :confused:

12. Combatant

Because I am mainly asking with regards to commercial gyms not really dojos so the H+F area seemed most appropriate. :)

And I only really come on this area of the site now because I got bored of the 'my martial art is best' and 'who would win out of spiderman and tyson' etc. :D

13. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

As gyms are usually only spoke about in the Health section :confused:

On a side note; I can't understand why theres not more chi threads in here!?!

:D

14. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I'm not going over this again, how the hell would Tyson get out of the web!!!!

:rolleyes:

15. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i thought that general discussion would have been a better place for such a thread, but let's not get off topic. continue with the discussion

what i hate about women in the gym is when they show up like their going to attend a gala event or something, full make up, hair, jewelry. talking about inappropriate. :bang:

16. Combatant

LOL :D

The men are just as bad believe me! The ones that have to have the latest trainers on that are totally wrong for what they are doing anyway. They look like the male version of the steriotypical essex girl. :p

And lycra has no place on any mans body end of story. :eek:

17. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

The screaming is another thing. There was this big fat guy in the gym the other day he was using the squat rack. He loaded the bar with like 4 20 plates each side or something so heres me thinking ahh he must be a powerlifter then he takes the bar off goes a quater of the way down yes not even parallel and screams at the top of his voice. I heard this guy from the changing room before i even got to the freeweights section. Then he gets everyone clapping at the end of it :rolleyes:.

18. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Got to disagree with you here as I think this is one of the better things about the gym ;)

In fact, I hate the fact there not many women go to my gym....

19. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I can cope with the rest (don't like them, but I can deal with it), but this one annoys the hell out of me.

"While you're this close to me why don't you just sit on my lap?"

20. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i assume you're a guy then and that's ok :D you look at it from a different angle. there is this woman for example who comes to the gym with a lot of make up and a lot of jewelry. she takes part in the aerobic classes, so after a while the make up starts running and that's not a pretty site you have to admit, and the jewelry around her neck starts bouncing up and down, left and right and the girls next to her have to keep an eye on her to avoid being hit in the head with it.