gykyos

Discussion in 'Judo' started by johnson, Aug 7, 2003.

1. johnson

johnson Valued Member

I recently learned that the kodakan syllabus is organised on the basis on methods of generating power. The first gykyo (de ashi barai - seo nage) use 1 power arc; the second use 2 arcs eg harai goshi - waist twist and sweeping thigh. Does anybody know about the remainder?

2. Jim

Jim New Member

May be better to send an Email to www.judoinfo.com . Let us know what kinda reply you get.

3. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

johnson:

Did you ever find out anything more on this?

I have never herd of it before, but it sounds interesting.

4. johnson

johnson Valued Member

sorry, bit stumped on this

5. johnson

johnson Valued Member

Certainly in the first set of throws power is genetrated in the opponent by one arc; in the second set each throw on the first set is supposed to have a second power arc in it . This means the uki hits the ground with more whallop but also makes it harder to avoid the throw.

eg
    de ashi barai ko soto uchi
    etc

6. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

johnson;

Please forgive my lack of experience, but I am not fam. w/ ko soto uchi. The only techniques close to that in name that I know are ko soto gake & ko soto gari. If you could discribe it for me perhaps I could follow along w/ the priciple you are working on.

7. Jim

Jim New Member

'ditto' :D

8. johnson

johnson Valued Member

sorry i meant gari.

9. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

Well I'm still not getting the drift of what your shooting at here. But don't give up on us.

My Japanese dictionary has no words that start w/ gyk....
    It is a very big dictionary, but it doesn't always show all the verb forms.

I have done a fair amount of searching and have found this piece of info:

"Gokyo No Waza: means the five principles of technique. In Kodokan Judo, it is the traditional teaching method grouping eight throws into five groups demonstrating five levels of arcs."

I'm not sure I understand what that means either, but what do you think?

P.S. Don't sweat messing up technique names, I do it all the time. Okazaki Jujitsu & Kano Jujitsu have the same throws and the same names but not paired up the same & I study both so I am always messing up names.:D

Last edited: Aug 29, 2003
  10. Jim

Jim New Member

I thought you meant the Gokyo No Waza. I had assumed it was a typo.

It sounds about right (re: the set sequence being geared towards a set style of throws rather than a set type.)

Ko Soto Gari and De Ashi Barai are sometime mixed up as being the same throw.

11. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

I should have asked you about sp. right off Jim. I'm not up on all the Judo lingo so had to piece it together.

johnson are you still there? Take a look at

http://www.judoinfo.com/gokyo.htm

Take Care: David