Gyaku Waza Question:

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by zenpokaiten, Feb 10, 2006.

1. zenpokaiten

zenpokaiten Valued Member

Just wondering if anyone could give some tips for Ura Oni Kudaki? Or just how you all were taught so to say. Thanks in advance.

2. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

go to a dojo, you cannot possibly expect to get correct info over the net!!!

3. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

isn't it on the video?

4. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

i could explain it but you really need a partner to experience and get the 'feel' for the lock.

Don't get it confused with Muso Dori or Musha Dori though.

A step by step explaination in written form is alot longer than actually applying the lock and feeling what it does to you.

If you can apply Oni Kudaki and understand it then Ura Oni Kudaki should not be a great leap.

You could try googling for videos, i'm sure i've seen a few on the net but you'd be better trying it in person or better still having it applied on you.

5. zenpokaiten

Yes it is but it looks alot like Musha Dori.

6. zenpokaiten

No I wouldnt get in confused with muso dori because muso dori looks nothing like musha dori. I dont have a problem applying omote oni kudaki, just trying to get some tips for ura oni kudaki. Thanks anyways.

7. zenpokaiten

Cant do that at the present time, but thanks for the great info.

8. Kikaku

Kikaku Gakorai Tosha Akuma Fudo

Demon crusher ?
    Basically you want to have both palms facing you so to speak. Have your left wrist on his right, and then you right arm goes under his elbow (palm facing you), then adjust the movement so that your palms are together.

The key is to keep your arms close to your chest, so there is no gap, between you and your Uki.Take one big smooth step behind him, and then viola !

9. Dale Seago

Dale Seago Matthew 7:6

You're talking about the omote form and he's talking about the ura form. In the latter your right arm would go over the elbow, palm facing away from you, as Takamatsu sensei demonstrates below:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  10. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

'No I wouldnt get in confused with muso dori because muso dori looks nothing like musha dori. I dont have a problem applying omote oni kudaki, just trying to get some tips for ura oni kudaki. Thanks anyways.'

hmm..right

:)

11. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

we actually do a version, similar to muso dori(a tiny bit, work with me)in which the 'figure 4' is inverted, and behind the uke's back, much like the old 'arm up the back' thing every kid and his dog knows.

it cannot be written and understood, or atleast only at a very superficial level, the level at which incedently you here a lot of other m.a bagging us at.whack in a bit of speed and muscle and you've got it right?, wrong. the more of the bujinkan studies i learn the more depth i realise there is in almost all of it.

how can you explain a feeling, to someone who hasn't felt it.

good luck finding a good shidoshi, videos i think make you a spectator not a practicioner.

no offence intended, i feel for your frustration.

12. zenpokaiten

Thanks that picture helped me out. How Richard demonstrates it,the punch comes in, and the hand comes from the inside like musha dori, but you continue into a break position. So in a sense its a one handed ura oni kudaki. Another person gave me the tip of evading to the inside while doing jodan uke, step in as you shuto with the right hand, then scoop with the same hand you did the shuto with, then attain the lock. From what I see of the picture it looks alot like that. Feels like an arm bar! Hurts more than omote oni kudaki thats for sure.

13. Kikaku

Kikaku Gakorai Tosha Akuma Fudo

Thanks for the clarification dude...btw I just got promoted again to 8th Kyu :)

14. poryu

poryu Valued Member

Not sure what your learning but....

Musha Dori does not look like Ura or Omote Oni Kudaki, your arm and body placements are in completely different places.

15. zenpokaiten

Yeah I had the same question. One person replied with" what Richard is demonstrating is not ura oni kudaki, maybe he was teaching a henka of musha dori, but nobody else in the Bujinkan calls what he demonstrated ura oni kudaki" I asked him to reply to that comment, but that went nowhere. The whole thing is I just did it the way he showed, and another way. So we will see what happens on that note. Im hoping for the best.

16. Dale Seago

Dale Seago Matthew 7:6

Poryu is right, ura oni kudaki doesn't look anything like musha dori (or muso dori for that matter).

I believe the version of ura oni kudaki which Takamatsu sensei is showing in the photo to be the correct one. . .

17. zenpokaiten

Yeah, I did it the way in the picture as well as the Vandonk way. So we will see what happens. Richard doesnt demonstrate it how it is in the picture, so we will see what Linda says about me doing it that way.