Guro/ Gura

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by E-Rocker, Apr 16, 2013.

1. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

In the past, I've always heard FMA teachers reffered to as Guro regardless of the teacher's gender. This is, of course, assuming that the FMA system we're discussing is one that uses the term "Guro." At the school I visited this past weekend, the owner made a point of referring to female instructors as "Gura." Have you heard this before? It would makes sense if "Guro" was a Spanish word, but to the best of my knowledge it is not. Thoughts?

2. blindside

blindside Valued Member

So my spanish isn't great, and my various attempts at learning Tagalog/Filipino were probably doomed by my brain locking on to all the Spanish borrow words and it telling me to talk in Spanish. (Which is probably better than when I was in Japan, and my poor brain was telling me to talk in Spanish, that was just embarrassing.)

Anyway, as I recall, Tagalog was supposed to be gender neutral with regard to nouns, and I didn't think "guro" was a Spanish word, I usually used "maestro" or "professor."

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I think Blindside is right. Technically, "maestra" would be used for a female teacher in Spanish. But "gura" isn't a term I've ever heard before.

4. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Exactly. "Guro" is not Spanish, we use "maestro/a", "profesor/a", "instructor/a".

Of course, we also use japanese Sensei, Sempai, etc.

5. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Ang guro (the teacher) is genderless. Actually, pre-hispanic tribes in the Philippines hardly used gender. It was the spanish that made the gender differential in our language and culture. Guro actually stems from the hindi word guru.

Gura means nothing in tagalog or the other filipino dialects. Gurang is slang for old geezer.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

*checking to see what they called me for that seminar I did at the college*

Dammit.