Gun taolu kata etc?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by mewtwo55555, Oct 5, 2014.

1. mewtwo55555

mewtwo55555 Valued Member

So I am more of a "modern" martial artist not really a traditionalist. I do martial arts more as a exercise than a self defense practice. I am wondering if anyone on here knows of any forms taolu's kata's etc involving guns? Does anyone know if there have ever been any competitions with gun forms in them?

Thanks

Lets try and keep this on topic and relevent. A joke post is allowed as long as there is a relevant point in the same post.

2. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Actually the Chinese word for staff is gun so there are hundreds of gun forms and they've been seen in just about every competition.

3. mewtwo55555

Thank you I was going to put in my first post about how I wanted to talk about the weapon that use's an ancient Taoist elixir of immortality to propel a piece lead out of a barrel not a weapon made of wood about 5 feet in length.

:bang:

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

There were various firearms schools in Koryu, don't know how many are extant though.

5. blindside

blindside Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMUO0UbeK-4"]How to Perform Hojutsu-Ryu Kata: Shooting as a Martial Art - YouTube[/ame]

Probably not what you are looking for....

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Why would you WANT a kata with a gun?

Seems weird for a "modern" and SD orientated practitioner to want to have a rigid pattern for their training

Grab an airsoft and practice deploying it under stress and weapon retention...problem solved, no kata required

7. mewtwo55555

8. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

equilibrium... The movie, that's why! Gun wushu!

9. blindside

blindside Valued Member

The guy in that video has a DVD, I have no idea about quality or content, but his firearms background is actually pretty respectable. I just don't get the merging of the cultural trappings of Japanese kata and the gun, it may be comfortable for him, but I think it is a big turnoff for the target audience.

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

To each their own and if others find they get something out of it great, but I personally just don't see the point.

I totally get traditional Kata/ forms.

I also get modern weaponry.

I just find mixing the two in such a way odd. But maybe I am missing something about it.

11. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

There's a Hsing I form for bayonet use.I have the book it's in,it's in Chinese and I've forgotten the author's name.Originally published sometime in the 1930's I think.

Don't think there are any pistol whipping forms tho'.

Outside of those things,I think all the "kata" you need for a firearm would just be the basic pre-fire drilling -(load,position,aim,etc)- you'd find in a surplus military handbook.

Or a paint ball manual.

Edit,10/6/14--It's "Hsing I and Weapon Instruction" by Huang, P'o-nien

12. mewtwo55555

Yes that, anyone know of anything like this. Something that would impress judges at a competition. I knows its fictiony but so is alot of the competition bo staff stuff.

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Basically... No. There is no "gun kata" that is respected in the gun community or the martial arts community. Sorry man, but that's the truth.

14. ned

ned Valued Member

Seems incongrous to describe yourself as a modern ,non traditionalist with an interest in firearm kata.Surely any surviving such katas would be obsolete by now unless you have an interest in antique weapons.
    Better to get yourself down to a gunclub with qualified instructors.Obviously it depends on the context(sport/self defense)but first and most important lesson is safety;
    as a kid,first thing I was shown was the safety catch and taught this mantra,
    "Never ever let your gun,pointed be at anyone,
    that it may not loaded be,matters not the least to me"

15. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

The only gun kata I'm aware of are loading/unloading drills and stoppage drills. Other than that don't point it at anything you don't want to shoot and always treat it as if it is loaded.

You can get all tactical with techniques like how you enter a room and such but nothing that could be called a kata just principles to follow.

Or you could follow Steven segals instructions in under siege 2 'never look where the gun ain't pointing' because he is a proper expert :woo:

16. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Wouldn't kata with a gun just be something like quick-draw practice or target shooting?

17. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Please note I'm not a firearms guy, at all.

However it could include that, or loading the weapon while in an active situation, making it safe or weapon retention.

Also draws from different positions etc.

Like I said though, not a firearms guy.

18. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

But I don't think the OP cares about "respected". Sounds like they want tricking with guns.

How about this kind of thing?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMDlcwywwXQ"]Rifle Spinning - YouTube[/ame]

19. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Great stuff that but can he hit anything further away than his own foot?

Also for the op I think joining the U.S. marines would be a pretty extreme way to find a gun kata, probably not reccomended to join with that goal in mind lol

20. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member