Guitarists - Support Group

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Sam, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Kudos to you, I also love Marty's playing.

I've been trying to learn how to play Lenny by SRV since forever it seems like!

2. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Some good advice here. I would only add learning all possible scales and arpeggios in all octaves. The major/minor scales are the best place to start. From there start learning the modes and as many "exotic" scales as you can find (whole tone, Genus Diatonicum, Ritsu, etc). :) Happy playing! Like MA, there is virtually no end to the things you can learn about your instrument.

3. wcrane

wcrane Valued Member

Going to see Tomatito tonight...been looking forward to this show for months. Anyone who appreciates Flamenco should check him out on youtube or his own website. With the passing of Paco, Tomatito and Vicente Amigo are the best living Flamenco guitarist in my opinion (that I am aware of).

4. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Well after seeing Andy McKee again on Wednesday and picking up the below I'm planning on picking up the guitar again. Current acoustic is a £35 Falcon that I bought when I was at uni and, if I'm honest, it doesn't sound good enough to keep me playing (though many will say it's not the instrument, it's the idiot playing it) and doesn't hold it's tuning very well so I'm thinking of picking up a new one. This time I'll get some advice from a shop instead of buying online!

[​IMG]

5. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Okay I realize this isn't anywhere near the complexity of that solo, but it is Megadeth! Today I was on a guitar learning binge and learned the entire song Chosen Ones. It's not really hard. I also learned most of Devil's Island as well today - a harder song - I didn't learn any solo in it, just the rhythm parts of the song, and the tapping bit at the beginning (granted I'm a little sloppy on that bit). My plan is to go over these songs a bit till I have them fully down in memory.

Of course as you know, you can learn several easy entire songs for a lot less effort that to learn something truely hard like the Tornado of Souls solo. I love Marty's playing, but I'm pretty scared of it - the same as Jason Becker, Yngwie, etc.

6. matveimediaarts

I suggest doing an analysis of the solo/tune before trying to learn it. Break it down into chucks, too. The elements of Yngwie solos are actually pretty simple. He sticks mostly to a baroque Style, focused on arpeggiated chords and major/minor modes. He occasionally ventures into other modal territory like Phrygian. IOW, if you understand baroque and Romanticism, you understand Yngwie.:cool: With that knowledge you can learn the easier stuff like Dave Mustaine's and marty Friedman's solos.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  7. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Becker is God among men!

I've learnt a whole bunch of riffs n rhythm bits, but I'm not one for learning other people's tunes much, to be honest.

The only solo I ever learnt was Tony Iommi's from Black Sabbath's Snowblind.

Improvisation is my thing.

8. David Harrison

Dave Mustaine's solos are not in the same league as Marty or Yngwie!

9. David Harrison

Jason Becker playing Paganini:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfKD8c-WBMA"]Jason Becker - Paganini 5th Caprice - YouTube[/ame]

10. Guitar Nado

Same thing here - I made it through 30 years of playing guitar only learning bits of various solos, never a complete one. I learned a fair amount of songs as far as rhythm parts goes.

I'm trying to learn a few solos now though, just because I want to - some pretty easy ones that are already stuck in my head. Like Comfortably Numb for example - not hard to learn, but truly great! I think it would be a cool mission to learn all the solos from Dark side of the moon, Animals, Wish you were here, and The Wall - some of my favoritest lead playing is on those.

I could probably learn all of those solos before I could learn to play something like Hangar 18 100% perfect with every part down.

11. Guitar Nado

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADzIigbiIa0"]Dave Mustaine on the Drew Carey Show - YouTube[/ame]

12. Guitar Nado

Big Muff Pi

I'm not sure how I never got one of these before.

I had a Metal Muff (with top boost) that I got from a pawn shop one time - but I didn't end up actually using it much, it was OK but not special - and I sold it or traded it. I tried a nano muff, and didn't think much of it either.

But I recently have gotten one of the re-issue Big Muff Pi's that is in the giant chrome box with 3 knobs. It's so big, this size is actually ridiculous compared to modern pedals. It's a very cool sound. Endless sustain. I can see myself having a lot of fun with this.

I tried it with my bass gear also, and played some Cliff Burton bits on it, and it sounds pretty good for that too.

13. wcrane

wcrane Valued Member

The Big Muff. Back in the late 70's-early 80's when I was a high school kid with an electric guitar I had one of these. It was the coolest thing. Now that I am playing guitar again all these years later I am strictly acoustic. If I were to go electric the first accessory I would get would be a Big Muff, glad to see that that they are making the original again.

14. David Harrison

Big muffs are cool, and fuzz works great with bass.

I'm more of a guv'nor or tube screamer kind of guy, but a bit of fuzz every now and again is great :)

15. wcrane

wcrane Valued Member

Time for a practice session. 1 Hour of classical, followed by 1 Hour of flamenco.

16. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Anyone else a compulsive modder?
    I've just put the finishing touches to this bad boy
    [​IMG]
    I've had it for about 8 years, but due to kids etc modding it has been a slow process.
    It's a Dean Vendetta 4.0, the list of mods goes;
    De-glossed neck
    Planet Waves Auto Trim locking tuners
    Wilkinson roller locking TOM bridge
    BKP Cold Sweat bridge pickup https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=humbuckers&sub=contemporary&pickup=cold_sweat
    Axesrus Hot Iron neck pickup http://www.axesrus.co.uk/ARUHotIrons-s/2109.htm

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  17. wcrane

wcrane Valued Member

Just bought a Rodriguez model A cutaway guitar. What a difference it makes to play a higher quality guitar. The sound is so much nicer and it really is easier to play. In a few years I will sell a couple of my cheaper guitars and buy an even nicer quality Rodriguez, but for now I am very happy with this one.

18. matveimediaarts

:) The cool thing about Paganini is that it generally sounds a lot harder than it really is. It thus really impresses non-musicians more than stuff like the Winter Concerto which is, IMHO, more technically difficult. :hat:

That caprice, like Moto Perpetuo, is just scales and arpeggios played really fast.

19. matveimediaarts

I am! I took my off-the-rack fat strat and put a SD-1 pickup in the bridge, replaced the neck with an Yngwie Malmsteen signature fully scalloped neck, and also installed Fender custom shop chrome tuners. :cool: I think it needs chrome knobs, now that I think about it.

20. David Harrison

80's shred was all scales and arpeggios!

The point is, not many people can play them that fast, that clean, and especially not with that type of crunchy tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khvaIwonxUk

:D