Guitarists - Support Group

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Sam, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I set myself a bit of a challenge this afternoon, to learn this riff. As you can see, I'm not quite there, but I'm not a million miles off either.

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TXMPKPW5N0"]A bit of Romeo - YouTube[/ame]

2. wcrane

wcrane Valued Member

Thought I would try to get this thread going again. As I mentioned previously I play mainly Spanish classical and flamenco. In the last year I have actually had a pretty fair amount of time to play and have made some improvement. Still just a hobbiest, but having a lot of fun with it. I recently purchased a good flamenco package that has a book, dvd, and cd by Juan Martin. Just getting started on that but picking up some tips and techniques. My favorite flamenco players are Vicente Amigo, Tomatito, and ottmar Liebert. Anyone else listen to or play this kind of music?

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I'd love to, but most flamenco stuff is totally out of my league.

4. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

I have many many guitars, well i did until my little boy was born. Gave alot away but kept the four i absolutely can't do without.

Just picked it up again after about 7 months. Just finished next girl - black keys as my starter song. Next will learn and go through local hero by Mark Knopfler.

Baza

5. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

I pl... I own a bass guitar, I'm terrible for finding time to sit down and learn it though, I know my major scale (used to know minor but don't think I remember it now) and 3 riffs (stand by me - ben e king, come as you are - nirvana, shinobi vs dragon ninja - lost prophets <- the 2nd 2 from when I brought the bass at college like 12 years ago)

my ever far reaching goal would be to be able to play this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-7u9OW6iGU"]Les Claypool - The Awakening (Full Song) - YouTube[/ame]

but the likely hood of that happening anytime soon is slim to non...

6. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

For the minor scale you use a minor third and a minor seventh iirc.

I used to play the guitar religiously, but I have slipped since I got 2 hrs of drunken abuse from a neighbour...

I still own all my gear though, just don't play it anymore :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Rhythmkiller

Like that jaguar

8. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

It's a Jazzmaster :p

Refitted the stock pick ups with Seymour Duncan Antiquity IIs made by SD himself, it sounds lovely.

9. Rhythmkiller

Definately nice

10. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

yeah, I really should start playing again, or at least practicing once a week or so.

11. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

See, my skill and knowledge with my bass is such that this went straight over my head =p

I did pick up my bass last night and found a tab for the classic bass riff from The Chain :3

12. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

ok let's look at it another way

E Major
    Code:
    G
    D
    A
    E 0 2 4 5 7 9 11 12

E Minor
    G
    D
    A
    E 0 2  3   5 7  9  10  12
       I II III IV V VI VII VIII
    or
    G
    D
    A
    E 0 2  3   5 7 9   11  12

I can't remember the name of the second scale, I think it sounds odd with the major 7th

13. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

First one is natural minor, second is harmonic minor.

If you know the major scale, you actually know 7 scales. Look up "modes" :)

14. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I need more practice

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncT6wAS0PSs"]"Sea prelude" - YouTube[/ame]

15. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I'm currently learning My Own Summer (Shove It) by Deftones.

16. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Ah, another Drop-D classic.

17. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I'm doing it in C#, but yeah

18. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

yeah I tune down a half step (Or I would if I had a tuner, god knows what my guitars are actually tuned to atm)

I presumed you knew what I meant.

19. wcrane

wcrane Valued Member

just had a nice guitar workout while watching the hall of fame game. Practiced several Terraga songs on the cordoba. Next will work on some rhythmic stuff on my Yamaha flamenco. AHH football and music, life is good.

20. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I've been playing gee-tar since '97. :) I'm up to ~30 instruments now and am fluent in classical composition/orchestration. :D I'll answer any questions you've got to the best of my ability... (you can find samples of my work at the link in my sig) ...there are limits to what can be explained in type, unfortunately. :/