Guitarists - Support Group

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Sam, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Work? What's that?

That's the thing...I have the time at the moment to practice for an hour or so most nights.

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Depends what kind of tunes you're wanting to play as well.

YouTube usually has some nerdy nutter showing you how to at least get close to a tune. Even professional tabs are sometimes wrong. I guess if the players themselves are giving lessons it'll be legit.

It all comes down to how good your ear is and how you react to teachers. If you've tried free youtube videos and not got on with them, and you've found the trial of these paid ones better... go for it.

There is also the motivation factor of paying for something. If that works for you then it's money well spent.

3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I'd go so far as to say professional tab books are usually wrong. Sometimes way off the mark. Unless the artist wrote the book themselves, they're usually a lazy attempt at fitting some generic chords to the tune, rather than actually an attempt at capturing what was really played on the record or live.

5. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I use Ultimate Guitar for tabs. I know justinguitar.com but haven't used it, heard good things about the site though.

6. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

My advice-stick with standard notation and figure out the voicings and un-notateable nuances by ear.

7. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I use Justin's YouTube channel a lot. For indy and pop rock songs he's really good.

8. Ben Gash CLF

The other thing with Lick Library is what I really like of theirs is the packaged theory and technique products, and they're not available on the regular subscription, just the £25 a month one.

9. Ben Gash CLF

Pulled my finger out and started learning Pagannini's Caprice number 5

10. csoby

csoby Valued Member

I finally got back into playing... I blame it on....

Blackstar...

I picked up a little ID:Core 10 and fell in love with the sound of it... just got a second Blackstar, a HT 20 Studio... I have played more in the last 3 months than in the last 4 years...

11. matveimediaarts

My finger is going to be in a splint for a few weeks or perhaps months. I already miss guitar so much! :'(

12. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Time for some slide guitar! I've been meaning to learn Slow Ride by Foghat for a while myself...

13. Ben Gash CLF

14. matveimediaarts

Yeah, I'm aware of Django. I have a way more technical style than him though, and it requires all my fingers. I have been doing right hand technical stuff to while the time away, though. :eek:

15. csoby

csoby Valued Member

Got a new guitar this weekend. I got rid of my old, unused Vox VT50 and traded it on this Jackson

[​IMG]
    Jackson Rhoads JS32

It plays really nice and sounds surprisingly good for low end stock pickups. I didn't get the Tremelo version as I never use that anyway. I always thought these looked super uncomfortable to play but was shocked that it is actually really comfortable to play. I am liking it and it has had more use in the last 24 hours than the Vox did in the last 6 years...

16. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Sweet!

I always liked the Jackson Kelly, when I was a young thrasher :)

17. Ben Gash CLF

I'm about 15% into Caprice number 5 and I'm really enjoying the challenge. I'm really pushing my abilities but it's really paying off, I'm a much better player already.

18. wcrane

wcrane Valued Member

Well I am getting pretty exited about an upcoming concert I will be attending. In a week and a half I will be seeing Flamenco guitarist Vicente Amigo in concert. Vicente is considered to be one of the top 2 or 3 Flamenco players in the world. I have had the pleasure of seeing Tomatito, also considered one of the greats, twice in the last 4 years. To anyone in Northern California I would encourage you to attend weather your a Flamenco fan or a guitarist of any style. This concert is in San Francisco on Thursday the 21st at herbst theatre. He is also playing the next evening as well.

19. matveimediaarts

So, it just occurred to me to post about this here. :O Anyone here ever had a debilitating left hand injury? I'm struggling through a sprained left ring finger. All I can think to do in the meantime is picking hand drills-skipping strings, etc. and a few simple left hand things with the other 3 fingers. I shudder to think how rusty I will be when I can move the finger again. :O Any suggestions?

20. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

I've been lucky enough to escape left hand injuries so far (have broken a finger and some bones on the right hand, and have an amazing ability to jam or break toes), but I think there is a tremendous amount of practice that could be done without using that one finger. Michael Angelo Batio says one of his warm up exercises is to start on the 1st fret and use every a combo of 3 fingers fretting notes on the left , alternating picking on the right from low to high strings - then sort of a sweep picking move on the same pattern from high to low. The rinse and repeat on the 2nd fret, 3rd, etc. until about the 12th or so. Then repeat with a different combo of 3 fingers, and so on until you have done this with all possible combos. I have given up on trying to be a fast shred guitarist, but when I have spent time to do this practice with all combos of fingering - I've noticed I am capable of a lot more speed. So for your purposes, just do this with the other 3 fingers - only a lot more..:)

matveimediaarts likes this.