Guitar

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Shantari, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

yea yea, my cousin just brought me an acoustic guitar from mexico, and a friend let me borrow his electric guitar, haha, YEA, been practicing and i can already play a couple songs such as Smells like teen spirit, some of One by metallica, and a couple others, SELF TAUGHT IS THE BEST WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!! :woo: :woo: :woo:

2. Mister_Ball

Mister_Ball Just your average guy

Its really not lol. I thought that for like half a year and never went far, got a techer and by the end of the year i had got to a pretty good level, year after and i my teacher ran out of things to teach me, i dont care much for time signatures and how chords are played or all the millions of scales so i could have kept attending but decided to just save the money.

3. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Im self tought. But then again, I tought myself the theory via google :p

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I was self taught though you need someone to ask for tips when you get to problems....

5. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

Self taught is the way to go for some people. I'm entirely self taught from tabs and have been playing for less than a year, however I can play a bunch of high level stuff... clapton, classical gas, etc. etc. Then again I know some people who are self taught and are in some serious need of lessons.

The progression I went along was...

- very basic picking
    - basic powerchords
    - basic powerchords and picking songs to get more comfortable moving around the fretboard.
    - basic chords... the staples like D, G, Em, A, Am, C, etc. etc.
    - learnt a few songs that mixed chords picking and powerchords.
    - bar chords.
    - started putting it together learning gradually more and more advanced songs.
    ( things like hammer ons, vibrato's, bends, etc. I just learnt along the way )
    - fingerpicking.

Basically I just learnt through playing increasingly more and more difficult songs. The more advanced they got, correspondingly the greater the demand to expand my technical abilities in fluency and variety came.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  6. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

well..i am going to take lessons later one, and im already a master at the piano, so music isnt very new to me. As for the guitar, i can already play a couple of songs on it, such as "time of your life"-Greenday "master of puppets, seek & destroy"-Metallica and a couple others, im not very good at them, but i can play them o.k...

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Self taught and TAB is fine to start out with... but once you enter the world of being able to read music... it changes everything.

It takes determination and some time but the advantages over TAB are huge.

The disadvantage to being self taught is that you might be ingraining habits that work for you now at a very novice level but will ultimately hold you back when your want to move on to more difficult or in depth stuff.

There are great examples of self taught guys... Lightin' Hopkins and John Lee Hooker... but don't kid yourself people.. you ain't them. :D

Keep at it.. learn as much theory as you can and learn to read music... the older you get the harder it gets... so get to it! :D

8. Mufty

Mufty New Member

Hey as a muso youself you should not think like this, as the scales are so important, they stop you from getting lost, and help you overcome those minor penatonic meanderings, and as for chords they are so wonderful they offer so much colour if you know all the inversions, and chord scales are just amazing, up and down the fret board without a mistake, and when soloing you never have to end.

The scales are your kata
    The chords are your partner work
    Solo's are your sparring

Question what is the diffrence between a player and a musician?

Any answers it could be fun

he he :D

Last edited: Jul 19, 2005
  9. Maverick

Maverick New Member

What advantages?

10. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

i can already read music, since i also play the piano, although its useless when i try to read it and play on the guitar, hence the TAB, but explain to me, what are the advantages over tab?

11. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

The only advantage to being able to read music over tabs as far as I'm concerned is that you can take out a piece of music you've never listened to before and play it at the correct tempo. Where as a tab tells you the notes and chords however it doesn't tell you the exact pace to play them at, and how long to let them ring. However that has no purpose for me as I only learn songs I've heard before.

12. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

same here

13. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Wasn't hendrix self tought? ...anyways

This is how I learned to play:

I heard an awesome song, and learned it. Took me a million years, but I just kept playing haha. I never started out with basic songs, borrring. I jumped right into Led Zepp, Pink floyd, and Jimi. Probably not the best way, but now after 8 months of playing, Im able to play some really impressive stuff and everyone keeps telling me I'm a natural and could become amazing. :D

14. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Check out Guitar Pro tab format, or Powertab. Eliminates any advantage musical ...thing... has over tab, can show slides, note length...etc.

Generally I find only music snobs claim that musical notation (forget what it's called) is better than tab.

15. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Aside from tempo, the only reason reading music could be handy, is if you wanted to transcribe music between instruments (ex: learning the piano part of a song on your guitar)

16. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

yea, guitar pro rules, although some of the tabs arent entirely accurate and i have to make my own corrections.