Guitar restringing

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by hongkongfuey, Jan 10, 2005.

1. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

Any guitar experts out there?

I've recently (3 days ago) restrung my guitar, and it has been needing retuned constantly. However, it seems to be settling down now and is needing less and less adjustment each day (today it hardly needed any) - is this normal when you put new strings on, or is it likely I have just not strung them properly? It's a classic guitar (nylon strings).

2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

It's normal on any guitar, especially on electrics with tremelos. It should start to retain tune fairly well soon, just always make sure it's in tune every time you play and it will stay more and more.

3. bluekey88

bluekey88 whimsical in the brainpan

Also, be aware of changes in humidity as that will also affect the guitar and how well it stays in tune.

Peace,
    Erik

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Make sure you're not storing it anywhere that fluctuates in temperature a lot - like against a radiator.

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Just one of my bookmarks :)

How To Get The Maximum Life Out Of Your Guitar Strings

"Lastly, your new strings will constantly go out of tune when they are first installed. You can either keep adjusting them bit-by-bit, or you can do it all in one go.

One tip here is to physically lift and pull the string up all along the neck once your new strings are installed. This pulls your strings out of tune a lot easier than just strumming them. (You want your strings to go out of tune as much as possible). The trick here is to pull the string along the neck 2 or 3 times. This will reduce the tension in the string. Once the tension is reduced, the string is firm and tight in place. It will then stay in tune a lot longer.

Keep in mind that when you leave your guitar for a long period of time, remember to LOOSEN YOUR STRINGS! Your strings place a considerable amount of tension on the neck. If you leave you guitar for a few years without playing, the neck will bend because of the tension and sometimes-even snap.

6. choconutjoe

choconutjoe New Member

New strings always take a while to settle in. They stretch alot in the first few days hence why the guitar goes out of tune, but they eventually reach an 'equilibrium' point with the neck.

But you should be tuning the guitar everyday, certainly the first time you pick it up each day you should give it a quick tune. Also make sure you tune the guitar to A=440 and not just tune it too itself as that can lead the neck warping over time. Then when you come to tune it properly to play with other people it won't hold it's pitch.

7. Omicron

Omicron is around.

You crazy guitar players and your "tuning". You guys need to get REAL instruments that don't need to be tuned. Like a saxophone :D

8. YODA

You can tune a Sax. It's a little quicker though :D

Just wait until your Sax needs a complete strip down and new pads Muhahahaaaaaaaa....

9. bluekey88

bluekey88 whimsical in the brainpan

And let's...what kind of crazy things do you do for say...proper reed care? :D I've known way too many saxophonists to say they are the sanest bunch in the orchestra. Though, nothing compares o a drummer for sheer insanity. :D:D

peace,
    Erik

10. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Hahaha. Okay. Guilty as charged. I was actually joking about the tuning bit...saxophone players are generally known to be the most out-of-tune instrumentalists in the world.
    Yeah YODA...that's the WORST. I think a sax has to be one of the most expensive instruments when it comes time to repair them. So many buttons and pads and things...with all those little bits and pieces there are so many things that can go wrong compared with, say, a trombone.

11. hongkongfuey

or a Harmonica! ;)

Thanks for the help guys. :D

12. YODA

Tell me about it!

*Looks in disbelief at credit card statement :(

13. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Classical guitars are a nightmare to restring. Chances are its not strings stretching if its still happening after a few days (unless you use real cheap strings).

The most likely cause is the knot at the bridge slipping

check out this link

14. YODA

Nonesense! He's kept it in the house the whole time - never been NEAR a bridge :D

15. mr_yaxley

mr_yaxley New Member

Oooooh... Trombones are such cool instruments. I wish I had one. Just to pretend with, even.

16. johndoch

johndoch upurs

As James Brown said "You gotta take it to the bridge" ;)

BTW HKF your new avatars pretty scary is that the make up for the bands stage show :D

17. Omicron

Omicron is around.

I have one, and I can even play it a little! I took Class Brass last semester, which is where all of us non-brass players get to learn a little about the brass family, and I got to play trombone for a few months. It was really fun! I don't think I'll ever totally understand all that buzzing that goes on with brass embouchure though. Give me a woodwind any day.

18. choconutjoe

choconutjoe New Member

Ah it's not that difficult. It just takes time, like all these things. The added advantage with brass instruments is that they only have three notes (or none in the case of the trombone). And it's a well known fact that all brass instruments only have to play at one dynamic "fffff" which makes things easier.

Not like those silly musical typewriter saxophones :D

19. munkiejunkie

munkiejunkie sanity's requiem

Hah. You think that a trombone is hard, try a Tuba!. I have one that if you put a flute on top of it it is taller than me!

20. hongkongfuey

Thanks John - my strings were not overly cheap, and have bits on the bottom to stop them slipping 'at the bridge' - at least I think thats what they funny bits on the end were for! :confused: