Guard slamming: A tactic to be avoided?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Adam, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Adam

Adam New Member

Guard slamming: Laying in somebody's guard, standing up with them still hanging from you and ramming them as hard as you can onto their head or back.

What are your thoughts on doing this in training? On the plus side, it teaches the guy on his back not to hang on when there's a chance he'll be slammed and makes for more realistic training, on the minus side, it's not a very technical move, requiring only brute strength, and might also injure people in the long run.

Do you guard slam in training, whether MMA or submission fighting?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Guard slamming is fine as long as you like being leg locked :Angel:

3. Jamie_KB

Jamie_KB New Member

I do it occasionally, it can work but it is a bit of a brute strength, little skill tactic. If i do slam someone, i tend not to do it with full force, or onto their head, as both could cause an injury. Its like any other kind of training, you just have to be sensible really. May as well do them if you are expecting them in a fight.

4. YODA

A lot depends on WHY it is being done. If someone is guard slamming because they don't know what else to do then they need to work theor guard breaking/ passing skills. If they are doing it to open up a line to pass or set up a submission then fine.

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Two words - heel hook

(or maybe knee bar :D )

It's a last resort for me, I'd try a ton of things to open up before I would go for that.

6. JamesD

JamesD Valued Member

I agree, if the guy on the ground knows what he is doing I wouldn't do it. along with the heel hooks and knee bars, watch out for the arm bars to. especially if you aren't strong enough to keep your arms in when you pick the guy up.

7. Gyaku

Gyaku Valued Member

I apologise in advance for the following stupid question. What is a guard slam?
    I haven't much experience with MMA in this regard. I couldn't make it out from the posts.

Cheers!

8. JamesD

JamesD Valued Member

When you are in someone's guard and are having trouble escaping. You stand up with the person still holding you in their guard. you have them off the ground, still wrapped around you, and basically slam them back onto the ground to break the hold.

9. Gyaku

Gyaku Valued Member

Hmm, brutal, if it works...I don't see why not.

10. YODA

Depends on where you draw the line "in training." Sticking your thumb in the guy's eye can work too but is it condusive to learning good grappling skills?

11. johndoch

johndoch upurs

It would be worth learning techniques for countering guard slammers.

I've personally never been slammed but would sweeps be useful as the slammer tries to rise??

Even though it considered as a simple brute force technique and banned in a lot of comps it is also worth considering from a self defence aspect.

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

"not sure if this is guard slamming" but there is this one guy in my class who when doing a double leg takedown likes to lift really high and slam down.
    As he lifted me, he gave me a long enough time to get him in a guillotine so by the time he attempts to slam, i already got him tapping.

I havent really heard of guard slamming but it doesnt sound very smart, especially on the guy who is still holding on.
    Body slams are not done in class most times as the mats are quite thin, basic and more effective throws and takedowns are taught instead.

13. kenpo4life

kenpo4life New Member

You guys are tripping. In the sport of sub grappling and jj. it should NOT be allowed/ the idea of the sport is to practice without undue risk of injury. In MMA, it is a legal and condonable tactic. And for all of the newbies out there who have the two words, "heel hook" and "arm bar" I have 5 words for them" Quinton Jackson versus Ricardo Arona" If a world class bjj grappler cant stop it, what makes you think that you can, against a skilled opponent?

14. kenpo4life

kenpo4life New Member

to me guard slamming is like cross faces and jaw locks, they work in the down and dirty, but they are NOT a display of technical skill. I mean you would not call a fighter who kicks everyone in the nads a goodfighter. You would just say "damn, tht isthe dude who kicks everyone in the nay-nays"

15. JamesD

JamesD Valued Member

Aren't we talking about MMA?

16. kenpo4life

kenpo4life New Member

If we are talking MMA then all good. In sub grappling, I dont think it is good.

17. Ad McG

How many other times can you name? I've seen it happen plenty of times where someone goes to slam or looks like they are about to and their opponent quickly counters with a submission or sweep. You give one example, of a fighter who was possibly pretty damn tired (haven't seen the fight, sorry) and/or beat up. You are basically saying that there is nothing you can do against someone trying to slam you when there is a plethora of options, some harder than others.

18. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

That was a triangle choke; he could of released that much like Sakuraba did against Quinton Jackson.

19. Ad McG

Question answered.

20. kenpo4life

kenpo4life New Member

Adam,
    I dont know how many sub grappling events you have been to, but in the early tourneys they tried slams a lot. Wrestlers usually. A friend of mine, spent nine months relearning to walk after some idiot powerbombed him in a sub tourney. All of the successful subs in the world are not worth someone having their back broken by a no skill having brute.