Guard Pulling With Immpunity

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Gripfighter, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Do you feel that pulling guard should be kirbed to premote a better stand up game or do you see it as an intergal part of BJJ, and if you were to try how would you do it, allow slams, no pulling guard until one takedown has been scored previously, restart from the feet if the person can hold you up for a certain amount of time ?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Guard pulling is fine the way it is. BJJ is a great sport because it has such an open ruleset. Shouldn't change IMO.

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I find it a bit boring but I'm fine with it. BJJ is the sport of ground fighting so to me it makes sense to be allowed to decide you want to be on the bottom without having to give up takedown points if you want to. I would allow slams though. I get the problem of spazzy white belts being idiots with them but they don't really achieve much anyway (anyone who teaches you to slam out of a submission as anything other than a desperate measure is a silly person) and its a stupidly enforced rule with people getting DQ'd because they happened to lift their opponent 2 inches off the ground.

But anyway, yeah I'm fine with guard pulling. I think the stand up side of bjj could do with improvement but I also don't see it as that important unless you're trying to teach a self defence orientated version of bjj.

4. Southpaw535

Also this ^

I know I've been feeling sad about the increasing umber of rules the IBJJF has been putting on bjj and getting to the point with silly stuff like not being allowed to cover the mouth or not being allowed to touch the face. It just waters down the sport.

5. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

but is that actually written down in gospel anywhere ?

why do you not see at as important ? I'm not trying to get on at you just genuinely curious to hear your answer, its an attitude that always truly befuddled me.

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Most days I look at guard pulling as a free pass or fear of my l33t standup skills. :]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  7. Southpaw535

I don't know enough about bjj's history to know but I would assume its self evident if we take Gracie jujitsu as the basis for modern bjj.

Because I see bjj as primarily ground grappling. Its the same reason I don't expect judo people to be as good on the ground as bjjers or why I don't expect thai boxers to be as good at pure boxing as western boxing fighters. The vast majority of points in a bjj comp are on the ground so I don't see the point of wasting the quarter or third of class time I'd expect to need to use to teach standup to be worth getting the extra two points when you could of spent that time learning to sweep and hold position and gotten 2-11 points instead.

I assume people take bjj because they want to learn how to ground grapple. If you want to be a proficient stand up grappler then there's plenty of judo clubs people can go to. I don't see the point in messing with the rules and wasting time in class to tidy up what is really one small component in the entirety of bjj.

8. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Maybe your right if your training is focused on scoring points, mines isn't and I'v not trained anywhere yet were it was. When you start to understand it grappling (call it Judo, call it wrestling or BJJ) should be a dynamic thing, the flow from feet to ground back to feet etc should be seamless, the ok we are standing ok now this is the groundwork attitude is bad in my opinion, its bad for each individual art let alone saying you should go to one place to learn one and another to learn the other, I'm not saying the focus shouldn't be different but I'm never going to accept that its ok to ignore the Ground or the Feet in any grappling style, if taking someone off there feet is a very small component for most BJJ practitioners I'm thankful to train where I do.

9. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Well I'm no ground expert but I've been working on ground technique for about a year now and here's my two cents worth on the topic. If your going to allow combat to continue after the fight goes to the ground at all then the fact is if you can't survive on the bottom positions then your gonna lose fights, so for the sake of finding out who's better than who you have to allow a guy to hold his opponent in his guard as long as he needs to, it's simple he's good at surviving in the bottom positions the guy on top of him needs to knock him out or submit him if he can't after a few minutes stand them back up and see what happens next.
    From what I can tell the guy who pulls a lot of guard or that is on his back often usually gets worn out and loses anyway, sometimes this isn't the case if he's really well conditioned. So my take is yea let them pull guard and stand them back up if there's no action, anyone who uses guard to stall loses points after a warning, that's just my unprofessional opinion though.

10. Southpaw535

My training is focused on beating other grapplers on the ground. My general seamless grappling ability is where mma comes in. But yes I focus on playing the point system when it comes to bjj comps because it'd be silly to ignore it. Since you asked about changing the rules I assumed you meant looking at it from a comp point of view which means points.

11. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I think you misunderstood, my issue is not with the guard position or playing a bottom game, I think that is a very important aspect of grappling arts like Sport Sambo, CACC and maybe Judo (does closed guard count as being pinned in Judo ?) neglect to there own detriment making it one of BJJ's strongest trait's, its the passivity in the stand up portion of a match jumping guard encourages, and the attitude southpaw expressed that isn't an uncommon one of why should I bother because its not going to win me fights, I take issue with. I think a way of making the take down more important would change this attitude and be healthier for the art in general, although I wouldn't mind seeing a set of universal grappling rules come to prominence and BJJ can just stay the way it is.

12. Southpaw535

My problem with your position though is you striving towards an all-encompassing grappling style. To me that sounds less like a healthier option for the art and more like becoming a jack-of-all master of none type scenario. That's impossible to avoid as far as I can see because to become proficient in stand up you'd have to cut the amount of time you spend ground grappling. In which case you might as well go do judo. That also falls into the problem I mentioned earlier which is that if someone has walked through the door to a bjj club, and isn't cross training, then presumably all they want to learn is ground grappling and that's the bit they find interesting. Otherwise, they would be at judo. I personally don't see any problem with that.

This comes down to a "why do you train" question. If you train to be an all round grappler or win real fights then bjj in its current form isn't the best suited to do it. But there's so many other choices out there that are (judo and mma are two that come to mind) that I don't get why you'd go solely to a bjj club in the first place. I would assume, and your post there suggests I'm right, that most people in bjj are happy just to learn ground stuff and since this IS a sport that is so heavily focused on competition within a specific ruleset why would they want to learn things that don't help them win fights? Its the reason I know so many people came to bjj and K1 and mma from TMA backgrounds is because they spent so much time learning stuff that didn't seem like it wouldn't help them.

13. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

its not jack of all trades because its the one trade ! that's my point, example the Wrestler who executes a perfect double and gets choked out how many early style vs style matches are there on you tube were that happens or the excellent ground fighter who gets his face busted because he can't take the fight to his strong point.

my problem is not with the art its with the most prominent set of rules.

change the rules so that it does more to help them to win, do this and you have something better for self defence, something more applicable to other theatres MMA etc, something more exciting to watch and compete in my opinion, whether this would still be BJJ or something new is open to debate.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Just learn to counter the guard pull, this is best done by grip fighting, attacking the ass back head down stance, and the liberal use of footsweeps.

15. Dead_pool

Hahaha your a smotherer arnt you!

16. Dead_pool

Your confusing mma with bjj here my friend, anyone who punches me in a gi comp is getting upkicked straight away.

17. Southpaw535

Heh, maybe :p

Actually I've only done it a couple times but my feeling is that if you can crossface and you can still smother people with your gi then I don't see the point in banning smothering them with your hand. I get pretty much the same reaction from people by crossfacing them or just forcing them to turn their head with an elbow so I might as well be allowed to use my hand. It just seemed like a picky rule.

18. Dead_pool

Ahhh your a head turner via elbows as well arnt you.

Try using a far collar grip /shoulder hood and using the forearm to turn it.

Its higher percentage and doesnt damage your partners teeth.

There a lad at ours who trained elsewhere first who does this, noone good rolls with him as they cant be bothered risking getting hurt, so hes not getting better.

19. Southpaw535

Haha, its not something I usually do at the gym anyway don't worry. Be nice if the mma people would wear a gi sometimes though.

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I honestly don't mind it. My wife says excessive guard pulling is a sign a person doesn't have a great takedown game. She then proceeds to judo the crap out of them. I think any BJJ player who takes their sport even semi-seriously should crosstrain in judo. The gripfighting skills it develops are worth it.

But I comb peoples' hair with my foot so what do I know? :p