ground knife defence

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Samurai Jay, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Samurai Jay

Samurai Jay master of all weapons

Does anyone here with an MMA, BJJ or Wrestling practice knife defence, This is one thing these style's are criticised for, I found this vid & think i will try some of this what do you think.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut2KfJb_aY4"]YouTube - GROUND KNIFE FIGHTING DVD by Luke Holloway[/ame]

note i think this type of training would be good for everyone not just ground fighters.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Words fail me...seriously, words fail me.

Just because a knife is being held by teh attacker does not mean he will magically fall off you and lose his entire base.

Some of the techniques were passable - at best - but most was just shockingly reliant on being attacked by a complete cabbage.

0:29 was the start of the flippy uke and I kind lost all hope from there...

If you are going to show these "drills" - especially given the increased level of attack - I would expect to see slow then faster before seeing a level of drilling at realistic pace.

Frankly I would have craved him into pieces without missing a beat.

3. Samurai Jay

really i was thinking people would like this, I was only looking at the first step of each more after that i might do something different, It looks plausible to me.

can post a vid of something better.

4. Hannibal

Try it then (not for real - with a partner) and see what happens. You will be covered in marker pen if you train that way or covered in training knife burns.

It is far too fanciful and stylised. Ground fighting is hard enough as it is - against a knife it is even harder and no attacker morphs into a vegetable just because he now has a knife

5. Samurai Jay

OK is there anything i can do if i am on my back with a knife against my neck,
    or do you recommend the just die strat.

6. Hannibal

Do whatever you are told!

In all seriousness you are actually pretty much screwed in this position. Getting someone off from here WITHOUT a knife is tricky in the throes of combat so that is why I take issue with magic flippy techniques just because the guy has a knife.

The best thing would probably be to try and trap/isolate his arm and then stab him with your own knife if you carry one - which i always do.

The mechanics of groundwork still apply though, so you really need to have your jits down

7. Samurai Jay

OK what about stand up knife defence do you have any vids on that

8. Hannibal

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqy95dWUFO8&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqy95dWUFO8&feature=related[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk-EVLyIpts"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk-EVLyIpts[/ame]

or a little earlier in his career

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJGyxBgf0Is&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJGyxBgf0Is&feature=related[/ame]

9. RJDefaye

RJDefaye Valued Member

Hey guys, i generally like to be respectful and all that kinda stuff and i like to make a joke and all that - but i'm afraid it's the guys in that first set of videos that are making the joke. What rubbish. Have they ever been attacked by a knife in real life? I have.

I'm telling you right now that if i'm on top of someone and i have a knife i'm gonna have it pressed so hard into their throat that it'll be cutting a little bit and the first sign of them struggling is going to be the end of their lives.

I hate to see martial artists kidding themselves like this and fooling themselves into thinking that the stuff they are drilling is gonna work.

Also, sorry if I just offended anyone by saying what I just said - i had to get it off my chest.

RJ

10. Hannibal

No offence taken mate - You are right on the money!

11. RJDefaye

RJDefaye Valued Member

Cheers, i'm glad i didn't upset EVERYONE with those comments.

RJ

12. Samurai Jay

13. Samurai Jay

I put this on the MMA forum because, MMA is criticised alot about not having any knife defence, Does anyone have any good video's of unarmed knife defence.

14. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I'm sure someone else can dig some up but I think the key problem is knife attacks don't work like that. There was another thread not long ago about getting out of mount against someone with a knife and really the only realisitc answer in my opinion was "if you've let him get there you're already screwed"

Here's an example:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVhZBDgcUxQ"]YouTube - Dog Brothers Open Gathering 2009[/ame]

First of all DB are first and foremost a stickfighing art so sorry about that but if you watch it knives are introduced a few times and you'll see just how hard it is to realistically defend against one. I'm sure someone on here can find decent knife defence videos but that is as realistic a representation of knife fighting I've seen and the reality is you don't stand much of a chance, hell you'll be lucky to even see it before they've stabbed you, so don't be a tit and try to ninja them off you. If you've got a knife to your throat and your not dead I'd wager chances are the guy doesn't want to kill you or you'd be dead already so don't give him a reason.

In my honest opinion the only people who really come down hard on wrestling/bjj or whatever for not having knife defence are people who don't know much about it themselves.

EDIT: Also anyone criticising mma for not having knife defence is a tool. MMA is a sport art trained purely for fighting in an mma context its not some street defence system.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  15. Hannibal

It is very, VERY hard to do an unarmed knife defence. Not impossible (I have done it IRL) but very very hard.

For me I am seldom unarmed so I concentrate mainly on weapon vs weapon. I have strategies I use and train in, but you are always going to have issues. Impact based systems are - ironically - probably going to be the best bet. Just keep hitting until the threat goes away!

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What I don't get is how people try and pigeon-hole knife defence. Or specifically tackle ground knife defence.
    No need.
    It's fighting. Fighting happens all over the place.
    You hit the other dude in his vulnerable spots, control his limbs to minimise his chances of damaging you, break his balance, try to maintain positional dominance, break something if the opportunity is there and above all attack aggressively until he stops being a danger.
    That doesn't chnage if he has a knife, if he's on top of you or weilding a feather duster.
    You don't need "fighting strategy A" for the unarmed guy and "fighting strategy B" for the armed guy. If you need two different approachs then chances are your first strategy needs some work.

(Credit to Iain Abernethy for the genesis of this post)

17. Mr.Black

Mr.Black Valued Member

Is this first video a joke? Have this guy EVER saw a real fight. Or maybe a knife attack.

While you have very very very very very litlle chances to defend against a knife while standing, chances to defend from knife in this position are near impossible. When i say near i mean 1 of 1000000 will sucess to defend and you are not that one.

It's incredible, someone will think he can defend like that. Not once i saw people getting hurted because they master told them they can beat almost everybody and defend in any situation. Why is it so hard to be real? I'd like to prosecute those teachers who just taking the money by selling the people wrong idea of defending in any situation and by that putting them to danger.

I would just like to ask that instructor have he ever been holded by the sleve from a bigger man who is ****ed of, drunk, and holds knife in other hand.

God damn, this ****es me of pretty much. And now you say to you girl's dad i study martial arts and except him to respect you. NJAH.

18. Mr.Black

Mr.Black Valued Member

delete, double post

19. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

20. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

I posted a thread about knife defence a while ago (but i can't find it, can't seem to get the hang of the search function on here) and the conclusion we came to was that realistically, there is no such thing. No disarm, no pick-up, no stripping, just damage limitation, unless you have a knife of your own. All that stuff in the first video was just nonsense, unfortunately, it's quite popular nonsense. Thanks for the Paul Vunak vids, now i know why all the 'traditional' knife attacks use a thrust!