Ground, clinch, striking?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by pgm316, Jun 19, 2003.

?

Which do you train in to a good standard?

1. Striking

21 vote(s)
    95.5%
  2. Groundfighting

15 vote(s)
    68.2%
  3. Standing grappling / clinch work

18 vote(s)
    81.8%
  4. Weapons

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Then maybe the poll should have been which of these elements do you spar with regularly?

2. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Good point AG, I put train to a good standard, could be taken many way though as people often take it as the way they train...

3. sfjohn

sfjohn New Member

In my school we train and spar in all the categories, however for weapons sparring, we keep out the more unconventional weapons out and use the ones that are more likely to be found on the street, or that can be easily manufactured in an instance (like a sock with a rock in it) of course we didn't use the rock for sparring.

4. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Everyone considers their way to be "to a good standard" it doesn't really say much.

Someone could do nothing but kata (or forms for Andy :D ) and consider that striking and grappling to a good standard as kata contain those elements. I've seen many claim that some kata contain ground, although you stand for the whole kata.

Patterns alone is not what I would consider to a good standard for anything, there needs to be sparring, with as few restrictions as can be done safely.

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Okaaay. I bet their kicking Kata doesn't involve any kicks either LOL!