Groin Shots.......

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by TwIsT, Nov 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwIsT

TwIsT Son Of Odin!

Ok,This has been bugging me for a while but i'm finally letting it out. Groin Shots Are not that effective! If you think aboot it there are so many easier ways of protecting yourself than legging a dangler. Here are some of the reasons why i think that groin shots arent effective...

1:If you take the time to realise,it(No offence) is generally only a very small area to target,you could miss or get trapped easy.

2:Most guys instinctively protect that area(Rightfully so),so once again Missing or trappage may occur.

3:Alot of the time groin shots will just make a guy angry,and in my case groin shots have led to me chasing a guy down and pummeling him then retreating to be alone with my precious'.

4:It's a pain that can be crippling but ignored rather quickly,In football guy get nadded all the time and just shake it off and keep playing.

5:If they are bigger than you,and you do manage to thwack their love sack,it's likely they will tumble forward,onto youwhere after recovery they will make you sore.

There's Probably more i forgot to write but i think you can see where i'm getting at.

Opinions......

2. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

i hear these a lot, and some people may be faster then the ones i spar with, but groin kicks are pretty easy to land for me. theres not much distance between the groin and the foot, and although it is a small target, it isnt by any means hard to hit(at least compared to any other target)

avoiding an accidentally falling person is far easier than avoiding a kick or punch, which should be fairly basic. a deliberate tackle/takedown is different, however. then again, that's something you have to worry about anyway.

a trapped foot is pretty bad, but they can happen just as easily from any other kick.

as for the other two, that's why you keep hitting. you cant assume it will put someone down. its just another tool to be used, not some magic fight ender. then again, noone i've really hit there has decided to continue, but that doesnt mean it wil ALWAYS work.

3. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

This is BAD NEWS for girls/women!!! Groin shots aren't effective?!! :eek: :bang:

4. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

Well, I have to totally disagree on this one. If a guy is busy defending that area, then he is in a defensive posture, not offensive (or you are sparring and he is thinking about it). An attacker is usually to busy thinking about the attack and does not consider that area as needing defending (from what I have seen).

If a groin shot only makes the opponent angry, then you did not connect properly (likely from the fear of making them angry?).

Of course, if there is not a good opening you do not take it, as with any move, but if that opening comes to nail them in the privates...take it fast and take it hard, they will drop (males of course).

To back up my assessment, check out this site as it is loaded with good info from very qualified ppl:

http://www.realfighting.com/0102/billkipp.htm

Check about half-way down on the above page where he discusses groin attacks.

5. spooky

spooky Valued Member

groin shot

I'm a female and in the past kicked men in the groin/testicals.And it is sure not not as effective as the movies make it out to be! :confused: None of them hit the ground in pain and they were good hard strikes.I knew they had some pain but they just brushed it of like nothing!Only one guy bent a little. But one thing for sure they were all very very miffed :woo:One guy tried to snap kick me back into my groin :eek: but luckly he missed!I have known of men would like to return the favor no matter who it is, male or female.There is no words to describe the pain I feel when I'm kicked in my genitals/vulva!It just just leaves me crumpled up on the ground in absolute agony! :eek:Even a light groin strike can be painfull and debilitating!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2004
  6. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

If they did not crumple, then the kick was either not accurate, or not hard enough or they wore cups.

7. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Today, in sparring, my opponent went airborne for a lunging punch, to surprise me I suppose. It achieved it's desired effect, I threw out a sidekick in defence, it caught him right in the nuts. And down he went.
    I've been kicked pretty hard while wearing a cup, and while it is painful, it doesn't stop me. Of course how much it would have hurt had I not been wearing a cup is a matter of conjecture.

8. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

This statement, appears to be pure horse puckey. I think different people react to being hit differently.

9. tommy

tommy New Member

kick in the nuts

I do full contact Kyokushin. Obviously we wear cups, and occasionaly get a groin kcik. When it happens the person will generally go down for a couple of minutes and one of us has to hit him around the kidney area lightly.

Without a cup, with a correct strike it will be debilitating. At the least give you enough time to get out of the situation.

10. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

The harder someone is booted in the nads the less they feel it to be honest.

11. Lance Havock

Lance Havock New Member

I would much rather practice high percentage moves than rely of scrub type moves that would only tick a person off instead of laying them down completely.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2004
  12. XiaoXing

XiaoXing New Member

Adrenaline can make a hit to the groin like a small rock hitting your head.Normally when your fighting a guy whos temperature is a 100000 degree's he only concitrates on trying to hit you.After the fight he will feel the effects.

13. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

wow a hole thread about groin shots not being effective.

Like if you try to hit someone in the groin and you miss game over , but if you miss the fase or any other spot no problem...

And trying to destroy theif face won't make em angry?

The jab in the nose may be like that too. And a cross/hook in the chin , and a low kick, should we not use those stuff too?

Thats true. I wouldn't hit a guy in the balls if he didn't try to hit me first (or it was a real self defence cituation). It's a man thing, but that doesn't make the hit ineffective does it?

Not what you wanted to hear i guess but there you go. You seem to thing that a groin shot is to be used by it's own. It isn't. You can hit a guy in the balls and then knee him in the head as he bends , see what I mean?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  14. Tittan

Tittan Valued Member

Well, I've seen groin shots connect and I've seen the pain in the eyes of the guy (or girl) on the recieving end. It still isn't anything I'd do if I had other options though.
    If I didn't know what was happening - let's say I'm at work (youth prison) and suddenly I'm getting strangled from behind, I saw this happen to another guard - I would use fight-stoppers. A decent blow to the groin might stop, or I could grab the nads and pull. (Yeah, I've been to a Roy Harris seminar - he taught this technique and I adopted it.) This is only if I'm being attacked from behind though, in a face to face situation I'd rather use some low-kicks to the ancles/knees then trying to hit the nads...

15. Lance Havock

Lance Havock New Member

that is the thing, kicking people in the nuts is very low percentage. Not saying that it would not work, but the chances wayyyyy lower than any other non-scrub move.

16. spooky

spooky Valued Member

kick

Sorry your wrong MarioBro,...... The men were NOT wearing cups and I DID kick them very hard and accuratlly!I know this for sure!One day in my teen years I was at the nude beach and this creepy nude man came up and grabed my neck from the front! :eek: So I struck him with a hard square kick into his testicals,And he did not drop or even flinch! :confused: So I followed up with a hard punchs to his throat and nose and this did make him stop And thats when I made a run for it!! :cry:I just had to tell you!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  17. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Why does everyone assume a "groin shot" automatically means the genitals? The groin is a larger area than that y'know.

18. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

well, the genitals and the nerves behind them are really the only targets there (that arent well covered in muscle). the joint at the hip can be used to take someone down, but it isnt an extremely painful place to be hit.(it is painful, to be sure, but not quite as much as the genitals) and the nerves are really a low percentage place, unless you get lucky enough to open it up.

i keep hearing that the genitals are a "low percentage target". they are easier to hit than the face, in my experience, and do you not attempt face shots? or rib shots? those are a lot harder than groin hits to land.
    a groin kick wth the ball of the foot is pretty simple.
    it's a quick, powerful strike that is hard to see, and progressively harder as you get closer to your opponent.
    a punch would be near impossible and extremely unsafe under normal conditions, but #1 conditions constantly change, and there will be a use for it sometime, and #2 the fact that you cant punch the groin safely does not make it a useless target.

19. TwIsT

TwIsT Son Of Odin!

They Do hurt like hell,dont get me wrong,and all opinions are good opinions in my opinion :) What I'm saying tho,is that there are so many better places to aim,a good thigh kick can be alot easier and takem down alot faster then a Jewel robber kick.

And Every thing has merit,i have heard of a man whose every technique,be it a Punch Combo,push takedown whatever,he is holding nthe detached testes at the end of it,maybe not detached but im sure you get the picture.

Also,as i think it has been said before in this thread,adrenaline can make those shots as painful as a tiny rock bouncing off your head. I havent discounted them,i just think that there is alot of better things to do.

20. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

If a shot to the thigh hurts you worse then the same shot to the groin...I am really not sure what to say without being rude. I guess you should change your name to Jaws (remember James Bond gave him a good kick there, and it clanged like metal...no pain).

Well, I am not sure what you all are thinking, but a well connected shot to the groin will do more damage and give more escape time than most other places I can think of...even moreso when there is a substantial difference in size. I could take a shot almost anywhere from most of the women and children and alot of the men in my dojo, but I tell you..if they connect me in the groin, even partly solid when light sparring, I am incapacitated. I know I would be down with a full contact hit in that region.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.