Groin Guard Question (for TKD)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Mark 42, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Newbie

Okay, this will sound stupid... and get a few snickers, but...

I have never been an athlete, so I honestly don't know...
    Do you wear the groin guard inside a pair of jockey shorts (or jock),
    or outside of them? Mostly I just wear boxers in the regular classes
    (and a uniform, of course), but someday I will be sparring... and my
    son will be starting to spar soon.

Which type groin protector is best suited and most comfortable for Taekwondo?

Do any of the males here spar w/o one? Unicycling actually makes
    a man tougher in regards to getting squashed from time to time...
    believe it or not, you can get used to such abuse (I think).
    But can it be dangerous to spar w/o it?

Also, does my daughter need one (I know that they make female groin
    guards, and it's my understanding that they are not required, and may not
    be desirable to use).

Yes, I am a bit embarrassed to ask, but need to find out.
    Thanks!

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

perfectly valid man. I have the same problem, I'm going for compression shorts with a cup, looks like this:

[​IMG]

Pretty popular where I train :)

3. TaekwonTiger

TaekwonTiger Valued Member

might depend on the rules, for competition we had to wear a groin guard for sparring. Not very comfortable, but I was quite glad I had it - compared to free sparring I did during a grading and I wish I'd have worn my guard...
    So if your daughter is going in for sparring competitions, you might want to consider it.

oh, not sure what's usual for you guys, but I had groin guard over shorts ^^

4. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

I use a similar set up to chadderz, compression shorts with a cup. I've had no issue with it, and it's made potentially crippling blows only really really unpleasant, which is all I ask!

5. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

The compression shorts are awesome! Get a pair!
    But if all you can get is the usual cup I've always found wearing it outside the briefs to be more comfy. Less chafing, less pressure on the boys and there's a little give because of the light space created by the shorts.

But seriously the shorts are so much better.

6. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Newbie

Thanks. I hope even more people will chime in, but the compression shorts are sounding popular.

I've been doing a little research... there's one called "Nuttybuddy".
    I'd imagine it's somewhat expensive though. I haven't looked for prices yet.

Here is their "How To" site:
    http://www.nuttybuddy.com/how-to.html

Edit: I saw one price mentioned at between $27 & $28, which sounds a bit steep
    for TKD, where groin hits are against the rules.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You've got a choice of an internal or an external groin guard, depending on whether you wear it over your dobok pants or inside them.

In my experience of TKD, with no grappling involved that might dislodge an externally worn guard, most people choose to wear one as it is much quicker and easier to take on and off. So if you're doing patterns, don't bother, then slip it on when you get kitted up for sparring. They look like this. You'll see that a number of those are female guards, though not all women choose to wear them (some women do choose to wear chest protection though, so you might want to look at that).

I'm sure you could wear an internal one, to slip down compression shorts, but then you're likely to be shoving your hands down your pants part way through class, and I ain't gonna want to shake your hand after that! :D

Mitch

8. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Newbie

Thanks.
    When we went to the Governor's Cup Tournament (to watch), I didn't
    see anyone wearing groin protection on the outside. I'm guessing the
    ones who wore the external type had it under the Dobok pants but outside
    of everything else (?).

That sounds, to me (with zero experience), the most comfortable.

My son got an external one with his gear (Shhh, it's a Christmas gift).
    I think I'll suggest he try that (last outside layer before the pants).
    Kids make good subjects for various experiments. :evil:

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

At a tournamnet you have time to get ready and will only be sparring, so putting a groin guard on under your uniform is the best bet.
    It will generally fit and work better that way too.
    However for normal training (where you'll be doing exercises, linework, patterns etc, as well as sparring) you just don't need to wear one all the time. In fact it can really get in the way of doing some things. In that case one you can slip on and off quickly is what you need.

10. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

I train BJJ and I wear a special pair of compression shorts that have an internal pocket built in to hold the guard and it works quit well.

Slightly off topic but as a BJJer when I first read this I was familiar with closed and open guards, half guard even turtle guard but who the heck would play a groin guard?

11. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Newbie

A teenager or young adult. :rolleyes:

12. Ives

Ives Mokuteki o motte hajimeru

This how I layer: underpants, jockstap, uniform pants. With some jockstraps the plastic cup can be removed, which can be more comfortable during forms.

What I sometimes do is: underpants, cup, tight spandex swim shorts, uniform pants. Which I guess is rather like the compressionshorts pictured in some post above. The cup stays secure in place but can be easily removed when not needed.

13. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Newbie

I was assuming that the compression shoerts were the innermost layer (function as underwear).

Get it? - Groin Guard... Teenager... like groin pains...

14. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

That's the way I do it.

Maybe what I need for that is groan guard. :hat:

15. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Newbie

Groan Guard :happy: I like that!

16. Ives

I don't know but I'ld assume it functions as underwear.

If this was specifically addressed towards me; sorry I didn't get it at the first time.:confused: Must be due to English not being my first nor second language.
    (I think I got it now though :cool:)

Steroids might have a similar effect. People will leave you alone because of your big musclea. But you won't need that guard since there's little left to protect. :eek:

17. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Newbie

Ah... Groin Pains = Growing Pains.

It was directed at anybody who would take the bait.

You write English very well, BTW.

18. Ives

I had to pronounce that out loud to get it. Gro'in' pains. Teenager was a good hint.
    Thank you for your compliment.

19. themmaadict

themmaadict New Member

Lo Bloo is awesome

I've tried a few, and all I can say this is the most comfortable and I can use it with anything - compression or regular... what I like the most is that I can fit it properly with the front strap.... advert removed.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2013
  20. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Obvious advertising is obvious