Greetings From Germany

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Satria Stuttgart, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Satria Stuttgart

Satria Stuttgart New Member

Hey guys,

My name is Ben, I am a teacher for Satria Fighting Arts in Stuttgart, Germany.

This is a video of my class

I hope you enjoy!

Best,

Ben

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  2. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

That looks like quite an unusual and interesting art. I don't think I've ever even heard of it before.
    Nice introduction video!

Welcome! :)

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Welcome to MAP

Looks like a Pentjak Silat variant - is that the origin?

4. Satria Stuttgart

Thank you very much!

Yes it is a Silat variant, my teacher is Steve Benitez.
    Here he discusses our art:

Best,

Ben

5. Satria Stuttgart

Just saw that there is an older but much cooler video of Steve still online

Hope you enjoy:)

6. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Welcome Ben!

Satria looks very interesting and I look forward to reading more posts about it.

7. Satria Stuttgart

Thank you very much!

If you have any questions concerning Satria please ask, I am very happy to go into all the detaisl :)

Best,

Ben

8. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Thanks Ben. I’m curious about three things:
    - The stances seem very low. Please could you explain more about this?
    - How much weapons training is there?
    - What’s the relationship between Satria and yoga?

Many thanks!

9. Satria Stuttgart

Hey Monkey_Magic,
    Thanks for your interest in our style :)
    -In Silat you start your training on the ground and work yourself up, this gives you strong legs and hips which then allow you to move fluidly in low stances and also gives you stability. We try to stay both rooted and be agile at the same time.
    -Traditional Silat is weapons based, covering blades of all legths, sticks, soft weapons (Sarong,...) and some rather unusual weapons (claws and others). But in our modern time we tend to focus more on empty hands. But all movements come from weapons and can therefor be used with such.
    -Indonesian culture was influenced by many foreign cultures, one of them the vedic. Our style was formed with lots of the vedic influence, therefor it contains lots of yoga, we use it to strengthen and heal the body, this is my teachers wife performing Satria Yoga

Hope that helps:)

Best,

Ben

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  10. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Cool videos thanks for sharing and welcome to MAP

11. Satria Stuttgart

Thank you very much :)

12. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

Hi sat, the moves in the vids, it seems to be an holistic approach, are these moves done as relaxed as possible and linked to breath patterns I.e one movement on an in breath, then on full hold, exhale and empty hold?

13. Satria Stuttgart

Hey Old bloke, thank you very much for your post!
    You have a very good eye, indeed we combine movement and breathing (while beeing as relaxed as possible) to create unified body movements and a greater power output. We also combine striking combinations (called "pukulan" in our system) with breath cycles to create flow in our movement and get more speed.
    We also have a huge amount of seperate breathing exercises to build power, body toughness and stamina, this is one of the art's specialities.

14. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

Never came across satria before, but in principle it sounds very similar to the training we do in Systema in our breath/health class (which is separate from combat class), do you use breath patterns for restoration, and or putting movement/exercise under pressure in order to form a natural breath in any situation. I also see you use the term jurus is the art phillipino

15. Satria Stuttgart

Yes, we use both breath patterns for restoration and also movement/exercise under pressure to train our breathing. Our style comes from Indonesia, but you can see similar styles all around South East Asia.