Green Tea

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by M Lambert, Nov 5, 2006.

1. M Lambert

M Lambert Fitness Consultant

Searched and couldnt find anything... so...

Green tea... benefits apparently include inhibiting growth of cancer cells, helping fight tooth decay, contains less caffeine than coffee, and apparently drinking it can aid a weight-loss diet as people who drink green tea burn more calories than those drinking just a caffeine drink for the same effect...

Any ideas/information on it?

2. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

It has a high level of anti-oxidants which do all that you listed.

White tea, has ten times the level of anti-oxidants of green and so is much better for you.

3. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

Green tea contains anti-oxidents (sp?) good for your skin and all that. I'm an avid fan of green tea, it's great! I read that drinking 2 -3 cups of green tea can prolong life actually, but I'm not sure where I read it.

4. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Look here for some info.

5. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

In fact, I'm drinking green tea right now!

6. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

Technically, the best tea health wise is white tea, as the leaves are even younger and less processed than in green tea. It is harder to find, though, and more expensive, but it is, in my opinion, worth it if you can find some.

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I've started to drink more tea - that my missus is Tibetan may have something to do with that. I don't know that it will ever replace my coffee consumption - I just can't seem to say no to a good espresso or a cappucino... but tea is definitely part of the daily ritual now. :D

Primarily we make Chai tea (masala tea) at home - and we use Tibetan tea, homemade masala and full cream milk... so we only get in a bit of green tea every now and then.

Info on Chai tea: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chai_tea

We do get a fair amount of Iron Buddha Tea daily - which is one of the typical styles of Chinese Tea. That we're in Hong Kong means we can't avoid it really. Iron Buddha is a style of Oolong Chinese Tea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oolong

We also often drink a bit of Gemaicha... that's a tea that's been roasted with brown rice. If you can find it give it a try.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genmaicha

But... here's some info on White Tea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_tea

edit:

I just realize in all my blabbing I didn't say much about green tea... lol.
    So I'll just post links here and you can read what you want:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3125469.stm

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  8. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Mmmmm nice info Slip! I just got some of the green tea with roasted rice last week,mmmm! I try and drink lots of white tea, it is available on line but a bit more expensive than green tea. Well worth it though.
    Oolong is my main tipple,as well as green.I feel much better since I srtated drinking more,and generally less thirsty! Although I could never give up my coffee either!

http://www.theteahouse.co.uk/link/white_tea.html?gclid=CPHRqbjKsIgCFRbHXgodmludyQ Good online UK based tea shop!

9. slipthejab

Here is an interesting bit on Green Tea and it's alleged benefits:

10. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Turmeric tea is used to treat neurodegenerative diseases which, seeing as a recent t-nation article said powerlifters, eat your blueberries because there nuerogenerative. I think ill be adding more to my diet.

It can be drank as a tea but I find the flavour to strong on its own so I use it in curries.
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=78

I drink lots of different teas lapsang souchong being one of my favourites, its smoked(like a sausage) with pine.

White tea doesnt have much taste I just drink it because its the healthiest.

11. pinned31

pinned31 New Member

I usually go to Teavana and pick up a good amount of Silver Needle white tea...it's amazing stuff, I will swear by that stuff any day of the week

12. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Firstly, don't drink from tea bags, buy the loose leaf stuff. Tea bags are just the bits that got swept up off the floor.

As for white tea, you can pick it up fairly cheap. There are various grades, it's the top grade that is usually very dear. The second grade stuff tastes fantastic, is very distinctive and most likely healthy too. Pai Mu Tan or Gu Zhang Mao Jian are two of them I think.

13. slipthejab

Just curious your source on this one.

I've recently come back from India where I had to do a bit of work with a tea plantation and several biochemists from the Indian National Tea Board. But in all our time there (Darjeeling) I didn't see any tea being processed on the floor - the tea processing operation isn't set up like that.

I suspect this is actually just myth.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  14. slipthejab

Interesting... In the Himalaya's tumeric is often mixed hot milk as a remedy for chest colds and coughs.

15. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

I love all teas and coffees. By the way I've heard that coffee also has anti-oxidants.

16. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Yep, the darker the roast the better

17. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

I forgot the smiley. It's not a myth, just a smug, joking view that proponents of loose tea adopt.

18. slipthejab

:D

19. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Here's an interesting one....

Is there any evidence for loose tea containing healthy compounds that are not soluble in water? In other words, are there any benefits to be gleaned from.....eating tea leaves after you've drunk the tea?

20. slipthejab

Interesting indeed.

I'll have to shoot of an e-mail to friends who work at the Indian Tea Board (the faculty that tests, grades and approves all the tea grown and shipped out of India)... they'd know for sure. Had dinner with them while I was in Darjeeling and ended up with so much information on tea I felt like I was at a biochemistry lecture. :D

Some of the very first examples of tea usage come from the home of tea... Assam, India. They originally did not use tea for a drink but rather they pickled the tea leaves and ate them. The only real information I've ever found on this was several articles on Burmese pickled tea - called Laphet. It's not too shocking as the Burmese have lots of Indian influence in their culture.

My friend who is the lead biochemist at the Indian Tea Board says that he suspects that there are still tribal people in Assam who do this as well... however the area is incredibley remote, and there are intermittent low grade wars going on much of the time in the tribal areas of N. East India that make it impossible to get back up to where these people are.

Pickling is a very common way of preserving foodstuffs in India... so while in the west you will usually only come across pickled cucumbers - known as pickles - there are literally hundreds of things that are pickled in India.. so it wouldn't surprise me if it actually still did exist among certain tribes in the N. East of India.

Here is an article on pickled tea from the Burmese:

and another mention of Burmese pickled tea:

Below is an image of laphet as it is sold in cafes in Burma.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006