green belt ju jutsu

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by ade1971, Sep 1, 2013.

1. ade1971

ade1971 Valued Member

having just got my green belt in ju jutsu and now been training for over 2 years even though my confidence is growing i still feel a bit of a victim when out I try to avoid bad area and such but constantly worry I not sure if would be able to use my ju jutsu if came down to it i was wondering any one had any advice on the subject

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Avoiding bad areas and bad people is always a good idea, you need confidence, in both yourself and your abilities, try dropping into a combat sport class and seeing how you do in there sparring, judo is great for this as its quite safe, and your jujutsu should have a large amount of carry over!

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Read this.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meditations-Violence-Comparison-Martial-Training/dp/1594391181/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378058114&sr=8-1&keywords=meditations+on+violence"]Meditations on Violence[/ame]

Then look at your training.

Avoiding bad areas is just common sense, physical capability doesn't mean you would not avoid bad areas.

It's self defence 101

4. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

There should be sparring in ju jutsu too...

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Well the term Jujutsu covers a wide array of systems, in some there will be sparring in others there won't.

Also, IMO, it's not just about the sparring but also having to deal with different approaches, people and systems that have been using resistance training for a long time and at a high level.

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i think its a matter of going somewhere different to spar with varied opponents to understand your own weaknesses

7. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Good point. I wasn't thinking of it that way.

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I think the first port of call should be your instructor.

I don't do much sparring in my system, but always tell my students that if they want more sparring, or higher intensity sparring they only have to ask.

9. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I've heard that Peterborough has some rougher parts and plenty of housing estates, though as said when possible it's only sensible and what most locals would do. Just in the last couple of weeks two people have been mugged at gunpoint in Cambridge, not the kind of thing you hear much about though the particular area is one I (and many others) would know to avoid at night.

10. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Yes. Don't quit.