Greco-Roman Throw Basics

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by slipthejab, Apr 27, 2012.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

A very concise breakdown of the technique... man this is fascinating!!!! It really goes to show how much more is going on technique wise that originally meets the eye with this type of a throw!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN-DGoVbR4I&NR=1&feature=endscreen"]Greco-Romana Throws Basic - YouTube[/ame]

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

yep when we had a visiting coach teach the back arch belly to back suplex you realise how much technique goes into these thngs, and how much fun they are to do :hat:

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Belly to Belly Suplex!

I always found this harder to do that Belly to Back (German) Suplex. Can't do it now due to my knee giving way. Greco rules is always harder than Freestyle as you can only attack the upper half of the body ie no leg attacks. So you see a lot of over shoulder throws/gut wrench throws and suplexes.

Good video. We never did those warm up techniques though I've always seen them in grappling magazines etc.

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

am i right in assuming french wrestling (I refuse to call it greco-roman!) has no trips or sweeps also?

5. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

You can't attack below the waist Zaad, that is unless they have changed things since I was a lad :').

FWIW

LFD

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

yeah there are some big differences in the rules between the styles of western wrestling.

7. Mangosteen

the rules of sumo arent actually too different except they dont touch the ground at all, so they can grab the legs but it's impossible to double leg, so a lot of the non-suplex techniques are similar to greco-roman.
    hence why a few great foreign greco-roman players have really made an impact in the sumo world:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kotoōshū_Katsunori

8. Mangosteen

yay i like cross over grappling!

9. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN-DGoVbR4I&NR=1&feature=endscreen"]Greco-Romana Throws Basic - YouTube[/ame]

The "hip pop" is also commonly used in the Chinese wrestling. There is something worthwhile to discuss here. If your bear hug keep your opponent's arms

- inside, his hands can attack your groin.
    - outside, his hands can attack your head.

[​IMG]

In "sport" environment, you may not have to worry about this. In "combat" environment, you have to.

This remind me oneday my teacher taught me how to break a front belt hold (illegal hold in Judo). I asked him why couldn't I just punch on his head. My teacher wasn't very happy about my stupid question. Today I look back, my question wasn't too stupid after all. If my opponent uses one hand to hold my center belt, he only has one hand left. If I use one hand to deflect his free hand, my other hand should have good chance to hit on his head. After that day, I tried not to always look at grappling from the "sport" point of view. I don't want to ignore the other side of potential problems and possible solutions.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  10. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

IMO, it's stupid to allow the "sport" rules set to restrict your grappling skill development. You want to add new skills in. You don't want to take old skills out.

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I've done Cornish Wrestling a couple of times which was fun. You start off in a over-under hug as it were with your hands clasped (in any grip you lik, Gable or S) behind the opponent's back and vice-versa.

The aim of the game is to trip/make off balance your opponent or even make their grip come apart. Usually best 2 out of 3 as its very quick, essentially who gets the first technique out is winner. You see some interesting throws in it.