Greatest Enemy

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Judderman, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

What do you believe is your greatest enemy in a self defence/street situation?

Budo.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

The law

3. Adam

Adam New Member

Rage

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

The emeny.

5. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

your opponent(s)

6. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

Hmm, looks like great minds think alike KGirl. In that case I will change my answer to the ego.
    Often times we have to battle with our desire to pulverize and our sense of mercy. This falls into necessary force which is covered by the law so tangentially it also has the law listed as an enemy.

7. ranger

ranger New Member

compassion

8. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Yourself.

Plain and simple. It's yourself.

Why?

Because, at the end of the day YOU decide your reaction. While someone may confront you or attack you, it's up to YOU to get yourself home safely. It's YOU who are not aware of your surrondings and let a shady person approach you. And its YOU who deny that you're in a bad situation, preventing you from avoiding it. Its YOU who act as a victim putting yourself immediately on the defensive. Its YOU who let pride get in the way and not talk yourself out of a situation. Its YOU who, while you feel that you are going to be attacked, wait for the attack to come rather than striking first. Its YOU who are not prepared for the adrenaline dump and are suprised when you can't access your fine motor skills. Its YOU who hand not explored how far you are willing to go and do not act decisively when its called upon.

It's like Ed Parker states in Zen in the Martial Arts: Don't be concerned with how to make your opponent's line shorter, it's all about how you make your line longer.

In the end it's your training that matters more than their training.

In the end you are your greatest enemy, and if you understand and embrace that, it is you who is your greatest ally.

- Matt

Last edited: Feb 6, 2004
  9. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

Way to go Mat!

All the training in the world will do nothing for you if you do not have the will to act.

As my sensei says 'It is better to be sorry for what you have done , not for what you did not do'.

10. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Great post Matt.

Although Yoda's gave a smile.

Budo.

11. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

I have to agree with Matt and I don't believe there is a one-word answer for this question!

I would just add that ”yourself” to me involves the ego for most people. I don't just mean the I'm a badass and can beat everyone mentality but the most common and victimizing one " It Won't Happen To Me" because of whatever the reason. I'm a badass, I have a Black-Belt, I have a gun, Nothing like that happens around here, I'm street smart or whatever else we fool ourselves into believing!

Sincerely,
    Teacher: Eddie Ivester

12. Jordan

Jordan Valued Member

O' Sensei said that the greatest fear is not the oppenent, but your emotions, he is only a representation of fear. When fighting a person your are really fighting your self,
    like when you face your fear heights, the height is not the problem is much as your determination to overcome your fear. :Angel:

13. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Human nature.

14. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

Smith & Wesson :woo:

15. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

I agree with yoda, I say cops. The law protect those scumbags.... I can get in more trouble then my attacker, if he/she end up in the hospital after my so call self defense. They most likely charge me with assulte, unless there someone to help me out as a witness, other wise your screw defending yourself. My best advice is run your ass off.

16. kickcatcher

kickcatcher Banned Banned

Ignorance....

17. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

a gun..........................................................

18. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

I agree with yoda and toothpaste100. Knowing when to stop or when you've won is impotant depending on the situation. Also, my biggest fear in a fight would be a gun being pulled. Next is a knife, but I feel alright with knives from training.

19. Tireces

Tireces New Member

I'd have to say the law. Does anyone remember the post about that acupuncturist/MAist who was standing trial for some serious charges after his actions in defending some women from being raped? I do.

20. totality

totality New Member

staph infection. or getting someone's tooth stuck in my knee.