Great Lakes Cup Tourney...had a great time!

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by KellyOwens, Jun 12, 2006.

1. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

My son and I participated in the Great Lakes Cup tournament in Lansing Michigan (hosted by Shinn's school...anyone else go?).

We both did well...took firsts in both forms and sparring (there was no breaking). I actually got to compete in forms rather than winning by default :D !! There was no one in my division for sparring but I got to do an exhibition round...it was a blast and I won so that was an added bonus :p .

The gal was the same size but about 9 years younger (20) and 2 ranks above me. She has an excellent jump round and jump side kick. I think her biggest downfall was that she gives too much information. She spent the 10 mins before we competed telling me that she doesn't block her head very well :rolleyes: . So I kicked her in the head a lot...I didn't intentionally use the information against her; I would have kicked her in the head anyway but hearing her say it boosted my confidence and resolve. I don't particularly like kicking to the head and making contact...I know that sounds stupid but I'm not there to injure people; I just want to have a good time and do my best. I'm working on getting over that timidity :eek: (LOL, I mean I STILL wouldn't want to hurt people but I want to have confidance to land those kicks to the head solidly).

My son did awesome!! He broke down during his sparring session due to an injury (got punched hard in the shoulder...it knotted up and he couldn't move it; we stretched it out and massaged it which helped a little) he pulled it together though and won the match. The kid was fast and furious but he landed his kicks and punches just about everywhere but the dots :rolleyes: . My son said he was the hardest person he's ever sparred because he was so quick; I felt it was a good experience for him (he has a tendency to get a little lazy in sparring because he doesn't usually fight people better or equal to his ability).

It was a fantastic and exciting tournament. There's another one in September; we'd like to go but we'll see.

Hopefully the two ladies I competed against in forms will be up to sparring by then. It struck me odd that they weren't competing in sparring and so I asked why and they both said that they had JUST started sparring in class in the past month. They're both 7th gup (same rank as I am)...is that common? We have to spar at our grading for 7th gup.

Anyway, it's great to have a couple of trophies and some experience under my belt! The tourneys are always a great learning experience for me (watching the BB is an education in and of itself).

Kelly

2. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

Fantastic news Kelly, well done to both you and your son! :)

Any photos of the event you care to share?

3. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Congratulations to you both.

4. Mandras

Mandras Eats Ninjas For Breakfast

Congratulations, sounds like you and your son had a good time :)
    As to your question, we only start sparring at my club at 7th gup as well, and are only graded on it when going for 4th gup.

5. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

Thanks for the congrats!

What is the reason for beginning sparring at that point rather than earlier? I've been sparring since white belt and I love it.

Do you do any no contact sparring (without equipment) at all? What about attack and counter drills?

Just curious :) .

Kelly

P.S. I didn't get any pics this time due to having to sit at my ring (couldn't get to my camera and put it back before my own competition started...I almost didn't get to watch my son). Everyone I went with was either competing or judging so they didn't get any pics either.

We'll be getting our pic taken tomorrow with our trophies though and I'll post it if I can figure out how to resize it (I've never been able to successfully download pics to a forum...the files are too big) :p .

Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  6. Mandras

Mandras Eats Ninjas For Breakfast

Many people who start out at our club don't make it to that level so it saves them having to buy sparring gear which they might not use much.
    Sorry, I forgot about that. Yeah we do no contact sparring from the time we join :)

7. miles

miles Valued Member

Glad you and your son had a nice time! I spoke w/Master Shinn-first time I've missed his tournament in years. I had a black belt who went to help referee, and two students who took 2 3rds in poomsae and a 1st and 3rd in sparring.

Take Care,

Miles

8. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

Hey Miles, I was hoping to hear from you. I had been wondering if anyone from your school attended. It sounds like your students did well!

I'm in need of some sparring competition; 17-32 year old 7th gups (probably 6th, 5th and 4th for the next competition though) LOL, if you've got anyone, get 'em to some competitions for me :D ;) .

What school do you attend again (sorry, my memory isn't the greatest :rolleyes: )?

We're a part of Lim's (Master Yats' club specifically). Master Lim received the "coach of the year" cup this year. Although I haven't specifically trained under her she does do our gradings.

Anyway, it's good to hear from you! Maybe someday our paths will cross in "real life" :D .

Kelly