Great exercise for punching speed!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by TKDGuy, May 21, 2012.

1. TKDGuy

TKDGuy Valued Member

This is a fun exercise for developing faster punches!

All you need to do it is a long staff (or a dowel of any kind). Just make sure it has some good weight to it (so don't use those super light demonstration ones!)

Hold the staff in the center with one arm palms down (arm1) and keep the other hand drawn in like you are about to punch (arm2). Let go of the staff and quickly dart your other arm (arm2) out, touch the staff and bring it back (all the while retracting the arm that was holding the staff (arm1)). Now, before the staff falls, quickly use the hand that was originally holding the staff (arm1) to grab it.

So, arm1 holds, lets go, arm2 touches, brings back, arm1 reaches out, grabs!

This is why a slightly heavier staff/dowel/rod is good since it won't fly away when you touch it with your other hand.

Once you can do this well, just increase the number of times you touch the staff before you grab it!

Have fun!

EDIT:

Also, remember to always bring back the arms into the body completely as this will work on the speed of your punch retractions!

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  2. Meitetsu

Meitetsu Valued Member

I will give it a try

3. hardball

hardball Valued Member

If you have the resources

I like the boxers speed bag.:D

4. BILLtheSTRIKER

BILLtheSTRIKER New Member

that IS an awesome speed drill. Try this one next:

balance 2 pennies on different fingers then toss them up into the air(not too hard)

strike out and catch a penny, retract your hand to starting, then strike out again to catch the other penny in the same hand.

You have to strike, catch a coin, then RETRACT your arm BEFORE striking out after the other one.

I can do 3 pennies, but they say to work up to 4 pennies which I never actually got to. Remember that at first, your not going to be able to do it. Keep it up and you will catch those pennies, and it will make you faster.

I read this drill from the book, "Warrior Speed" which I highly recommend.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

6. GoofyCracker

GoofyCracker New Member

In my Boxing academy we have several ways to improve hand speed

One way I like is get in your stance and grab some light dumbells like a 3lb or 5lb. Holding one in each hand extend your arm to full punch length, don't throw the weight as this could injure your shoulder. We do this technique a couple times a week for 3 rounds of 1 minute each between each round is 45 seconds rest. Yes at first it seems light but after a while your arms become jello. You will notice your hands with 16oz gloves can move faster over time cause they feel light compared to the weight.