Grappling Techniques

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Cougar_v203, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Armbar to me always impies that your straighting the arm, in general I would use the term armlock for a manipulation of the elbow/shoulder (although some of these I'd call shoulder locks ;) ).

People always forget the standing grappling game for some reason!?!

The first armlocks I learned were all from standing and I've used quite a few on the door to encourage people to leave. I believe they are a highly under rated tool of the MAist. People also forget that just cause your 'grappling/locking' that you can also hit. Every time you move your arm over a part of their body you should hit something, even if it doesn't really hurt!

If you've ever seen a real fight you'd be amazed at how many times the guys will clinch, this should really be emphasised in your training!

Col

2. Solane

Solane New Member

Hi Cougar_v203

Here are 12 Ninjutsu Bujinkan techniques for grabs to your wrists.
    These are taught facing each other when standing to start with.
    These are taught at Hanchi Kyu (8th kyu)

Techniques 1, 2 & 3 are where the opponent grips your Left Wrist with his Right Hand, or your R Wrist with his L Hand.
    Techniques 4, 5 & 6 are where the opponent grips your L Wrist with his L Hand, or your R Wrist with his R Hand.
    Techniques 7 to 12 are where the opponent grips both of your Wrists at the same time.

Tehodoki 1

1. Uchi Mawashi
    2. Soto Mawashi
    3. Yahazu Gake
    4. Hiji Kime
    5. Soto Mawashi
    6. Itami Jime
    7. Soto Mawashi
    8. Uchi Mawashi
    9. Nakahiki
    10. Sayu Mawashi Dori
    11. Ogami Dori
    12. Shuko Uchiate Dori

Solane

3. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

Gracie Jiu Jitsu is the best "Grappling" art around. There is nothing more to it.

4. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

That's one opinion.

Mike

5. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

Perhaps, but is as close to fact as you can get. No other system has come close to dominating MMA as Gracie Jiu Jitsu...which happens to be a ground tech.

6. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Ahh ... but MMA is not a measure of arts. It's a measure of competitors.

Shoot has some very good groundfighting. Personally, I like Harimau Silat and, for me, Harimau is much "better" than BJJ. But that doesn't mean Harimau is "better" than BJJ or that it's the "best." Only that it's better for me. It suits my body, mindset, goals better.

BJJ may, in fact, be the "best" for you. Only you can make that call. But to say it's the "best" art is too much of a generalization.

It is a good groundfighting art. But so is Catch. So is Shoot. So is Harimau. And I'm sure there are at least a thousand other arts out there that specialize in groundfighting that I've never heard of that are good.

What's "best" or, really, even "good" can only be stated with finite parameters. It may be "best" in a particular environment. Or for a particular person. Or against a particular type of opponent. But for every "best" you can come up with, there is a "worst." It's true of everything.

Just trying to keep it all in perspective :)

Mike

7. Cain

Cain New Member

Shoot?

Is it a style? Or maybe one of those secret arts which Andy mentioned ;)

Can you give a little info on this Mike? I'd appreciate that

|Cain|

8. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

9. Cain

Cain New Member

Thanx, it seems pretty good, the muay thai/bjj combo I mean

|Cain|

10. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

MMA is not a measure of art? That seems odd to say. Of course it is; some styles clearly dominate others. If it was up to the competitors, then the larger guy would almost always win. After all, he is the more in shape and athletic competitor. It is clear that the techniques of BBJ are simply better. And until the win column Vs other styles takes a dramatic shift, it will remain that clear. So until it reaches that preverbal finite wall, BJJ will stand above other grappling arts a peg or two...times a 1000.:D

11. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Sure. Whatever you say.

When you put two men in a ring and have them fight, or people fight outside a ring, it's a measure of the men and their capabilities with their tools ... at that specific moment in time.

Also, the MMA competitions are only one environment. BJJ may well be the "best" art in that environment. That doesn't mean it's the "best" overall for everyone in every environent.

Mike

12. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

Tools should be thought of as their techniques of survival. AKA: Their style. As for one enviroment, that also is untrue. BJJ was born on the street and tested in a city/street enviroment for the past 50+ years between BJJ guys and Lutra livre guys in Brazil who had a very bloody rivalry.

13. Cain

Cain New Member

Hey, it's been a long time since we had a 'my style dominates' thread :D

Now don't let me inturrept you guys, never mind me :)

Can't comment much since I ain't a grappler, but it does seem like the pretty big generalisation to a normal kid like me.......the 'best grappling art' thingy I mean :D

|Cain|

14. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

i hate ppl's ignorance they doesn't know how deadly a TKD kick to head is ;)
    -TkdWarrior-

15. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

Wow, I didn't know TKD had the "instant death kick to the head attack." That's kinda cool, maybe I should start taking TKD:p

16. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

HA so much for the name of ignorance even ignorance felt ignored :D :p
    -TkdWarrior-

17. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

I will be here for the next few hours trying to translate what you said.

...just so you know... :D

18. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

if u understand don't forget to tell me too ... i m still wondering myself :p
    -TkdWarrior-

19. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

TKD warrior, someday I am coming to India and you and I are going to spar...to the death...? And then I will show you some grappling techniques. But wait, you will be dead...cause we are sparing to the death. :(

20. Cain

Cain New Member

HA! I can whack all ur sorry a$$es with my legendary dim-mak strikes :D

|Cain|