Grappling Options Without Forward Rolls

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Punchy, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

I mainly do boxing but started cross training in judo as well. However I had trouble doing forward rolls on my left side and went to see the doctor. It turns out that I have bone spurs on my left shoulder and nothing can be done about them, so I may have to give up judo. :bang: The question I have is, what grappling arts do not involve forward rolls (as breakfalls)? Does anyone know of any - I have only limited experience in Judo and do not know much about grappling.

2. stump

stump Supersub

Have you considered some other forms of grappling to see if they're any more comfortable for you? Unfortunately most involve considerable time on your back so they may also give you trouble I'm sorry to say.

Most MMA schools also do submission grappling or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and I'm sure you'd be able to try them out in a gentle fashion to see if it's any easier for you. MMA clubs in general are fairly scarse but they're getting more common as the sport grows.

Have you spoken to your Judo instructor about this? I'm sure they may be able to suggest ways to train around your shoulder?

I hope you're able to find something that allows you to grapple. Best of luck with it...have you researched the condition on medical websites? There's a lot of info out there that may help.

good luck

Colin