grapping/punching weights workout

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ade1971, Mar 29, 2014.

1. ade1971

ade1971 Valued Member

has any got a good weight training routine for both grappling, throwing arts and punching arts I could do in one workout? I have a some dumbbells and incline bench thanks

2. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

If you at looking to increase your physical ability, stick to compound lifts; squat, deadliest, bench press, overhead press, bent over rows. These train your body to work together in coordination, as it is meant to, helps prevent injury, increases flexibility, overall functionality, and corrects pattern overload developed through the thousands of repetitions done on the mat.

That being said, simulating the constant repetitions you do in the dojo (or whatever you call it) can further facilitate injury and wear and tear on the body. I would never recommend adding weight to a movement like a punch in an attempt to make your punch better. Just practice more punches, and practice them as perfectly as you can...with your fullest concentration and attention.

An exception to this you be some band work. I'll practice gi and grip manipulation, entries, etc, with a one inch band. Its constant resistance and isn't going to damage joints or create muscle viruses. I use it as a supplement, not addition, to my regular training and only really for speed work.

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

What exactly are you asking here? Do you want exercises that would benefit both grappling and punching while learning how to coordinate them together or are you just looking for general fitness?

If you're trying to work them together there are a few different types of exercises that come to mind, and most of it is circuit work. For example, you could set a 3 min. round and work on sprawling, then getting back to your feet and throwing a combination. This will work on takedown prevention, transition to a center of balance for punching, and punching. You could do this in front of a bag for contact. You could also lay a bag or dummy on the ground and work on keeping your center of balance on the bag to keep it pinned, and throw punches (this is a lot more tiring than it sounds). None of this type of work includes any kind of fitness equipment, and the equipment really isn't needed.

If you're looking for endurance/strength/power work, you would want to work out in such a way that your anaerobic/aerobic systems are taxed heavily in full body circuits. Any method of full body exercises done in succession throughout an intense circuit will help tremendously in this are.

4. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

join a gym, do starting strength

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

This subject has been discussed so many times here. just do some search.