Grandmaster Rene Latosa in Chicago

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by April25, May 28, 2003.

?

Is this information helpful?

1. very helpful

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. somewhat

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. not really

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. not at all

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. April25

April25 New Member

Hello,

this is for everyone who is interested in Escrima, Kali or Arnis. Grandmaster Rene Latosa is the guest instructor for the Escrima at the 2003 EBMAS Fighter camp in Chicago, IL.

For more information please visit the website www.wt-chicago.com or call them @ 312.498.1982

This will be fun for all, not fun for some. ;-)

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Sounds interesting - who won't be having fun?

3. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I might be goin'!

4. YODA

I'd still like to know who won't be having fun and why :D

5. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Well....I guess if you didn't like martial arts then, it would be not very fun. Well....If you didn't like martial arts you wouldn't be going anyway. I don't know.

6. bite

bite New Member

What is Latosa Escrima?

Guys (and Gals),

This has been bugging my head for all this time,

what is Latosa Escrima and what Visayan art does it resemble?

I am a bit familiar with Balintawak, Leskas, Pekiti Tirsia, KDL, Lanada, but have no idea or can't imagine what Latosa is all about except from what is provided on their official website.

Any help is appreciated, even an mpeg demo. :)

Thanks,
    Bite

7. April25

April25 New Member

GM Rene Latosa teaches seminars around the world. There are schools in over 35 countries that teach Latosa Escrima.

Here are also some websites including seminar listings:

www.escrima-concepts.com
    www.ebmas.net

Enjoy

8. YODA

Hi there Bite and welcome to MAP :D

Latosa Escrima is called by some "Latosa Serrada Escrima" - that should give you some clues if you're a FMA person. One of Rene Latosa's influences (but certainly not his only) was the training he did with Angel Cabales - starting around 1968 if memory serves me right.

These days Latosa escrima is very popular in some Wing Chun circles, especially the Leung Ting lineage.

9. sercuerdasfight

sercuerdasfight Valued Member

hi im new here,

just my two cents. rene did train with angel, but his current system really doesn't resemble serrada. he teaches concepts more so the technics and it seems from my outside view as the basics applied in a agressive rather than defensive manner.

10. bite

bite New Member

thanks but more ideas please

Thanks April25, Yoda and sercuerdasfight for your insights!

I was able to see a video of GM Latosa performing a manuever, just 2 nights ago. :) I had to download a mp4 player just to view it.

I have to agree with sercuerdasfight, that it doesn't resemble serrada. Some concepts of its smooth moves and fakes resemble a little of Lightning Arnis, considering Latosa's dad came from Mambusao, also the hometown of the late Mang Ben. :)

Regards,
    Bite

Last edited: Oct 7, 2003