Grand Master In Hyuk Suh's Uniform - or - Grand Master Byung In Lee's Uniform

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Ki_Power, Jul 27, 2010.

?

Which Do You Like Best

1. Grand Master Suh's Uniform

27.0%
  2. Grand Master Lee's Uniform

73.0%
  1. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

Which Uniform do you like better?

I prefer GM Byung In Lee's Uniform...

[​IMG]
    In Hyuk Suh

[​IMG]
    Byung In Lee

2. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Neither!

3. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

Sorry Ollie...I should have put an option for yours too! ;)

4. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Really Ki? WTF!

5. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Well, nuthin against master Lee, but simply reversing the colors isn't all that imaginative. :rolleyes:

And GM IHS once told me that twin phoenix (or cranes) in place of the twin dragons was the *peace time* version of the wang-sa dobok (he considered the WKSA to be at war until the public more readily recognized what kuk-sool was, similar to the recognition that TKD has).

I almost prefer the color inversion that I believe master Soon Tae Yang has been known to wear (sky blue dobok). If I can find some pics, I'll come back and edit my post. [done & done]

[​IMG]

He apparently also has a gold one.

[​IMG]

Oh! and how did this thread get *tagged* with "mu sool won"???

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  6. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Maybe I missed it, but has anyone determined why these costumes must be so garrish? I have heard a lot of complaints over the years about how Westerners would show up at public venues with all sorts of patches and fringe and what-not. Some of the feedback went so far as to say that such displays were disrespectful to the nature of MA. Maybe that judgement is a bit extreme, I don't know. But how is that different from a couple of respected leaders dressing-up like they are applying for a job with Ringling Bros? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

7. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Gotta warn you guys..Slip is a mod now and you know what he thinks of silk pyjamas.

8. unknown-KJN

Uh... actually I don't, koyo, so is it a good or bad POV that STJ has about them? (silk does feel good against your skin, although these doboks are actually sateen if not mistaken).

9. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

I prefer GM Lee' uniform. I think that the whole Mu Sool Won movement is quite interesting! He shows alot of respect for GM Suh (especially in the inverting of the uniform colors)

GM Lee still has a photo of KSN Suh in his dojang opposite to him next to the MSW Association flag. The MSW flag, dan certificate, uniforms etc are pretty much the same as KSW.

MSW is like a reconstruction of pre $ grabbing KSW...

10. unknown-KJN

I'm gonna hafta be a pr¡ck, OTL, and chide you for saying INVERT, when what GM Lee did was REVERSE the colors of the wangsa dobok (purple uniform with gold trim as opposed to a gold uniform with purple trim).

Just to help you remember, I've inserted a copy of the [in]-famous picture of GM IHS where the colors of his uniform have been INVERTED (ain't PhotoShop great?).

Attached Files:

11. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Why do the uniforms have to be so unfunctional?

They could be like this one...

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      4.6 KB
      Views:
  12. VegasMichelle

VegasMichelle Valued Member

There is a difference between CEREMONIAL and DAY-TO-DAY training uniforms.

Do you really think IHS or BIL walks around every day with those ceremonial uniforms on? LOL. Of course not. They are just that...for special occasions (demos, promotions, seminars, tournaments, etc etc etc). I doubt these folks go grocery shopping with these on...or even mow their lawns with them on.

Do most KS black belts wear their generals uniforms day-in and day-out? LOL.

I bet most KS folks practice with their normal training doboks.

As for functionality of these ceremonial uniforms...a quick look at our own President of the United States will tell you something. He is technically the Commander-in-Chief but typically wears a suit. Talk about "unfunctional!" A suit is not exactly the best clothing to crawl through tunnels, storm a beach, jump out of a plane, march through a jungle...and yet the POTUS is the top of the food chain when it comes to our military. Why is his clothing so militarily unfunctional? LOL.

And then, there is something called PRACTICAL and COMMONPLACE.

I often train groundwork in just sweats and sports top/rash guard...no dobok (no gi). After all...most people don't walk around in my neighborhood with doboks/gi's on! So training without these uniforms on is, IMO, more practical.

There is a bit of plank in ones eye that needs to be removed when talking about these GM uniforms...when those that comment negatively aren't exactly fashion guru's themselves!

13. Demdike

Demdike Banned Banned

looks to me as if IHS's uniform is nothing more than a cut down version of the (Tibetan) Kadampa Bhuddist uniform
    heres a few examples

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...l=en&biw=1024&bih=555&gbv=2&tbs=isch:1&itbs=1

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...kcvbLs&t=1&usg=__zlps3ELnKXy-sk0byDv-m4bzYCE=

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...gbv=2&tbs=isch:10,570&itbs=1&biw=1024&bih=555

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...xxzPdE&t=1&usg=__JU_dTbYAsvaOTta5U8QauVG183Q=

and PS - these guys DO wear them every day
    at least they do around Ulverston in Cumbria

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  14. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

I heard a master in Ireland uses Twin Leprechauns...their magically delicious.

15. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

nevermind

16. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

wow, this could have been easily put into the uniform thread.

anyways, the blue is for non-promotion ceremonies and has a link to the blue outer robes used in joseon times in place of gold in court by those of high rank. to the best of my knowledge, master yang also has an emerald green one.

birds were worn on a civil official's outer robe, beasts on military officials. dragons were reserved for the imperiql family as well as the 9 symbols of longevity...FWIW

17. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

I'll have to snatch that design up for myself before someone else takes it!

18. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

You probably think rubber also feels good against your skin Unknown! :rolleyes:

19. KIWEST

KIWEST Revalued Mapper

So has GM BIL reversed the colours out of repsect for IHS or to show that he takes an oposite opinion on some matters?
    Knowing BIL I believe the former is most likely, but it could be taken either way.
    I too would like to display a picture of GM IHS at our dojahng even though we have left the WKSA. However I have not done so as it would not seem right to do so without a similar sized pic of NKMAA GM Rudy (Saja) Timmerman on display. I can't seem to get hold of a decent quality large photo of GM Timmerman, who does not require that his photo is displayed at all of his charter schools. (I hope to take my own picture in a couple of weeks time!) And if the photos on the website are anything to go by he doesnt use a garish uniform for himself either, preferring just a gold trimmed standard Generals dobok or training unifrom. I believe the same is true of Masters Marlin Sims and Larry White. Says something about humility and modesty don't you think?
    So asked which uniform I prefer, like Ollie, I too have to say neither!

20. unknown-KJN

For the record, I didn't cast a vote in the poll, not because I like neither uniform as is the case with Pugil & KIWEST, but because I don't have an opinion as to which looks better (although I am leaning in the direction of the BIL camp as it's hard to not have ANY feelings, even on such trivial matters).

Interesting spin on things, kiwi. :thinking:

What!? Where did this come from? But just to flaunt some little-known trivia, it was actually lamb intestine tied off with a pink ribbon that was the choice of contraception used by Casanova, and why I guess that Trojan-brand condoms offer a lambskin condom in their line of products. :p

Don't doubt your sense of humor... the leprechaun thing was actually pretty funny IMO (sorry I didn't acknowledge it via the "Thanks" button). :bang: