Grains(heavily refined) good or bad

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Kat, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Last edited: Oct 28, 2003
  2. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

A bit of an extreme article, scaring the reader into avoiding grains when in actuality the point is to continue eating it as part of a balanced diet.

Not arguing with the research results presented but white bread and other refined grain products such as white pasta will make you fatter than the wholemeal varieties while providing less goodness than the wholemeal varieties. Go figure!

Is rice a cereal? It's referred to as one in the article but I thought it was something else.

Rgds,
    David

3. MuayThaiGuy

MuayThaiGuy New Member

To sum that article up, no one type of food is a miraculous health panacea, just like no one type of food is a super villain. Eat a balanced diet, including plenty of whole grains, and you'll do very well. Just like it's always been.

4. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

Rice is a cereal grain, along with oats, wheat, corn, millet, rye, barley, sorghum, quinoa, triticale, and wild rice. Any edible grain from a member of the grass family is considered "cereal".

I also thought the article was a little extreme. Of course grains aren't going to be healthy if that's all you eat. Many of the problems the author cites could be avoided by simply eating a wide variety of foods from different food groups. As far as the increase in disease mentioned by the author (he blames it on grain consumption), maybe we have more disease simply because people are now living longer than 30 years (when you die that young, you don't generally have time to develop heart disease or the types of cancer that appear in older people). If paleolithic people had lived to 80 or 90 years old, they may have had similar disease levels.

As far as whole grains, I wish someone would figure out a way to cook brown rice in less than 45 minutes (I've tried the "quick cooking" stuff; don't like it). Maybe the microwave?

5. Kat

Kat Valued Member

While many of you are growing up with a good variety of Deit information,I find it refreshing to see more variety on such topics.While at school I was heavily involved with Endurance based sports (Triathlon/Distance Running),then theory suggested loading with Carbo's usually in the form of heavily refined ones,before an event (night before).Now theories are considerably different,and different sources for carbs and more importantly vit and minerals are emphasised.
    As I get older I find more and more that sources of raw foods with little or no refining(human intervention)to be perfect for my body.And it would seem the relience on hevily refined grains is more due to storage factors rather then any ideal food source for our bodies.

Read, Do, then think your own thoughts.

KT
    I don't know if you can acess one but I own a rice cooker with a timer function,so you can set it to have your rice just cooked when you wake up or whatever time .