Gradings

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Pretty In Pink, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I was wondering, one 3 hour class a week, will I grade at all in a year?

2. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

BJA? The first few grades are comedy simple and can be done in your club, so there's no reason why not.

3. Pretty In Pink

Awesome, would be nice to have a grade in something new :)

4. Niinpo

Niinpo 万変不驚 Banpen Fugyo

If it is the same in my day, the tests are largely what throws and ground holds you know, so you can study up and a man of your calibre would fly through them :)

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Damn I'm dong 1x1 hour lesson a week. :(
    As I understand it Judo grades have become more technical in nature over the years but you still need compete to get the higher grades.
    Although I think you can go totally technical but it takes much longer?

6. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Everything up to and including brown is now "technical" i.e. demo some things. You can fight for black, line-up or competition points, but you can also go the "technical" route at any age.

http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/gradings

7. Pretty In Pink

Ground holds you say? :evil:

8. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Yes, but keep in mind that a lot of what you do in BJJ would be illegal in judo, and there are a couple of ground holds in judo that you need to know but which you would never ever user in a BJJ setting.

9. Pretty In Pink

Chances are I've used them at some point :p

Like kesa gatame? I know that a lot of submissions are illegal, like the kimura isn't allowed and absolutely no leg locks at all.

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You should be able to grade every three months for the first 9-12. The first three kyu grades are pretty straightforward, after that, they start to get a bit busier with more throws.

11. Pretty In Pink

I can't tell you how excited I am to start throwing people!

12. Niinpo

Niinpo 万変不驚 Banpen Fugyo

Dont forget the arm bars and chokes! ;)

13. Pretty In Pink

Meh, I can do enough of that throughout the week :p

14. Count Duckula

Yes.
    And Yoko-shiho-gatame and worst of all Kuzure kesa gatame. Those holds are just begging for you to be punched in the the head repeatedly.

15. Pretty In Pink

I googled them. I use these positions all the time, both in BJJ and MMA. Kuzure kesa gatame is fine, I won't be getting punches from there, I'll probably be doing the punching, and setting up the armbars.

16. Count Duckula

In kuzure kesa gatame, isn't the opponents left arm (assuming you sit on the right) completely free? Meanwhile, you're holding their right arm with your left, and their shoulder with your right. How are you doing any punching from that position?

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Kuzure Kesa - as you can see punching with the hand is not too difficult, especially the "short and nasty" type

[​IMG]

I prefer "standard' kesa myself, but that's because I neck crank a lot

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  18. Pretty In Pink

Not really. Maybe elbows. You can also just burry your head into his left shoulder to avoid that though. Mostly I use it to advance and get submissions by doing things like bringing my left leg over his head, or reversing sides.

Anyway, use it all the time. If they're hitting you then they don't know what they're doing (because they should be trying to escape). :)

19. Pretty In Pink

We've been learning a whole lock flow from that position but with the CACC mindset. It gets pretty nasty.

20. Count Duckula

Ok in that scenario I can see it. You're not really using it as a 'hold' then.