Gradings and Ranking

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rhea, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Grades/ranks etc. It happens in everything. You've got grades in music, school exams, dramatic arts and many more. I'm just too wound up to think of it right now.
    Now, a lot of martial arts originated in the East. China, Japan, Korea to quote what are probably the most known.
    So is this a Western thing? Probably not. It's a human thing to want to have hierarchy, and it's been developed into a fine art. It's possibly been going on since the first tribal chief decided he was just that. Maybe he was elevated because he was an absolutely amazing example of humanity, perhaps he was just excellent at killing his rivals and experienced in forms of politics. (i.e. bribery. See, things don't ever change ;) )
    I have absolutely no idea to be honest. But it's an interesting subject to think about when I maybe have a bit more time. See, my imagination is better than I thought, I could write a whole story on the subject.
    But this isn't what it's about.
    There's been rank and hierarchy for as long as anyone can remember. Maybe it's a good thing, maybe it's bad, but it's when people abuse it, or see it as the be all and end all. The absolute mark of who you are and skills.
    I play the clarinet. Just because I only ever took one formal examination, does that mean I'm no good? I like to think not. But since I'm not trying to be a professional musician, it doesn't mean that much to me. I do it for what it is. Music is meant to be enjoyable.
    Everyone is going to enjoy different aspects of what they do. Possibly they do want to go into the music profession, and they need the grades, a piece of paper to say they are absolutely excellent, or at least play their instrument to a certain level. Maybe a music school needs to see they can do that in order to audition the very best? Whether they enjoy grading in this case goes out of the window, as it becomes a necessity.
    (BTW, I think if people actually enjoy these exams, I think you're nuts. No offence, but I really hated the experience. That's why I never did any more ;) )

How about GCSEs? A Levels? Or in other countries, the school leaving exams. They're supposedly necessary, but I think the same situation applies. If you want to work in a job that requires no qualifications, then that's OK by me. Then why bother taking the exams in the first place? If you're sure you won't need them, then why waste your time? Obviously, they are extremely useful, and in a world where it's becoming more and more important to not just be able to be someone who can do pretty much everything to an amazing standard, but to have that <em>piece of paper</em> that says you can. If you don't want to be a professional in something, it kind of stands to reason in my opinion you don't need to be majorly qualified in it, although any background you have may help you someday. Knowledge is power after all. And you never know when being "someone who knows what they're doing" may endear you to someone nearby.

So where does this fit in to martial arts?

The majority I see these days have some kind of grading or belt system. Some have you do formal tests to promote in rank, some instructors decide when you are ready and just say "Well done, here's a belt. Now let's work even harder, and I'm fighting you first!"
    Some have no system at all, you prove yourself by who you can beat, and your respect is gained through that. Anyone with any sense can see who is good at something and who isn't. Especially as you do more of an activity yourself.

This brings me to think, why the ranks and formal tests anyway?

Obviously, it stands to reason you must have some way of defining your instructor. For those who now generally that a fabled "black belt" is an instructor of some kind. (This isn't always the case, I know.) And then the higher the number of stripes he/she has, he/she must be better, right?
    Sometimes, the answer is a resounding "NO" but anyway.
    It stands to reason that an instructor must be able to teach their art well, and have a good standard of knowledge. Sometimes, it means they have a black belt around their waist. Often, not. I've been with black belts who didn't have a clue, sometimes about how to even do their art! That rings alarm bells, and tells me that something has gone wrong there. When you see more of it, and thankfully it's fairly rare, it brings doubt to the mind. What does it actually mean?
    Not much in my opinion, if there's never any set standard.
    So we're back to the pieces of paper.
    An instructor needs loads of them. Sometimes meaningless. The criminal record check that's negative may mean they've never been caught. An instructor's certificate may be worthless, or faked.
    But a <em>professional</em> needs to have all the paperwork, again. And it's usually enough to impress people.

Gone off track again, haven't I? But I do have a point I'm trying to make.

So, these belts.
    A good motivational tool for children, and usually a boasting tool for a select group of parents. But it shows how long they've been training, and can sometimes be a good indicator of progress.
    Or maybe not.
    Even in the 8-14 age group, there's some exceptions. A new person coming in that has so much talent or natural ability, or maybe previous training. They may deserve to be much higher than they are. Sometimes they may be offered an opportunity to progress quicker, but sometimes not. Jealousy being ripe in children, (and adults, I'm not altogether innocent myself) it may be a good idea to just progress them like anyone else. Another reason in my opinion, why it may not be more than an indicator of time served...
    For adults, I believe it is a different story.
    Motivation for children is apparent in a belt system, they will usually like to see how they are progressing. Again, you may have the odd one who just isn't interested. What about if everyone is doing the same techniques for a grading? The only thing you will see is a difference in how good someone is at it. If a new white belt like the two examples I've mentioned is as good as the blues, maybe browns, and can hold their own with them on the terms of that grading, should they have that? Yes, I believe so, if their attitude and etiquette is desirable. Not likely to happen though, really.
    Adults should use training and learning as their motivation, not some pretty colours. I'd like to think we're more sensible than that. As summed up in a quote from Brazilian Jiu-jitsu master Royce Gracie, "A black belt covers two inches of your ass, you have to cover the rest." How true.
    Personally, I like blue, it's a good colour. But does me taking it off, or wearing anything different, change who I am, or what I've learned? What I fight like? No. If it's meant to be an indicator of skill, why am I always getting beaten on the mat then? (Maybe because I'm usually outweighed and out powered by the majority of people I know, but I'm not using that as my point)
    Should I be demoted? No, not really. I passed gradings on their terms, and did what was required of me against a reasonably compliant opponent. That's what they usually are. If you want self defence, that's not really a good option. We do train with resistance, and that's good. I want more of that. Let me develop the techniques that work, and leave the syllabus more to the side. It may be good fun to learn, with bits of cool flashy stuff, as well as the nice classical bits that have remained from the formal training that originated with the Samurai class. It's great to learn, but I don't feel I need a coloured belt around my waist to explore it. (Unless I'm doing sword of course, it's kind of handy to put your scabbard in :p)

Of course, there maybe more arguments to the need for belts. Competition divisions and so on.

Now, call me wrong if you want, but I didn't think we were into lethal competition any more. No one will be beheaded in shame if they lose, and you won't lose any body parts or a bet, only an entry fee.
    What's wrong with grouping by age and weight maybe, and not worrying about a little coloured belt or years of training? Sure, it's not nice to lose, but there's no shame in losing to someone who is better than you, or has been training longer. You'll learn from the experience, especially if you have a video, and/or an understanding coach who will help you. Even your opponent with more experience can offer suggestions as to how you can improve. That's how you learn, and work out how to adapt strategy. Commanders did it all the time in wars and battles. Study the "enemy" and learn from mistakes. Sure, some didn't, but then, survival of the fittest, eh? If you refuse to learn from **** ups, you won't get better and you will just continue to lose. There's a lesson right there. From someone who has been in that position. I'm still getting beaten, but I'm working on it.

Another reason, maybe your style or organisation is huge, and the instructor needs to know what level everyone is? That might not be entirely useful, it means they've satisfied some requirements, that's about it. It's not that well rounded a picture, and in my opinion, a decent instructor should be able to tell by what he is seeing whether a student is of a good standard or not. They should be able to watch and observe closely, and be paying attention at all times.

Maybe a student wishes to become an instructor. In a system of grades, there's usually a necessary requirement for this, such as a certain belt colour, number of years serve etc. That's a professional reason for such a piece of paper, right there.
    An assistant instructor usually requires a certain level too. Boom. Once they have those, is there any need for them to grade up further if they're still gaining knowledge? I doubt it. They've satisfied a professional requirement, like a GCSE or degree shall we say, and now they're doing "professional development." This is the learning of <em>how to do their job</em>. That's what makes them good. The work they put into being there. What's the colour got to do with it? Brings me back to my original point.
    In the job world, employers often value the experience over the paper, especially for a mature adult. That's the way it should be. Life experience. Then you have something to teach, and can bring this to the table. You can compare it with the book learning just a graduate has and take a new twist on it. That's how things get better. A new way of looking often brings enlightenment.
    A good way to look at the martial arts in my opinion. If something doesn't work for you, like a technique, adapt it so it works for you. Someone who can teach you to think, as well as a set series of moves, is a good instructor. (A good sense of humour helps too.) This is what should matter, not age, what's on paper, or a coloured belt around a waist. Not even a different coloured snazzy uniform, sorry! In that way, we're all teachers, and all students. Why set each other apart?

If all this is true, why don't more people choose not to grade? If they don't like them, don't need them, and just want to learn, why bother? If your learning isn't restricted, why don't we stay where we are, or drop them? Is it because it's a system we're afraid to break?

Will we be set aside and ignored if we don't do the norm?
    If the answer to that is yes, I don't believe you're in the right place.

2. Mider1985

Mider1985 Banned Banned

what do you think of things like combac bas or krav maga, and shoulin and tai chi and wing chun?

3. righty

righty Valued Member

Reading that make me think of another point of gradings, at least from my experience.

Grading night is often a challenge. Physically and mentally.
    In a normal class you may practise a technique, but then you have a bit of a sit down while your instructor gives a bit of a talk about what you are going to be doing next and maybe give a bit of a demo.

Gradings are different. It's normally being told what to do, technique after technique. You are the one demonstrating. It's not just that you are being pushed to the limit physically by doing every technique as fast and as hard as you can, but also mentally, because you are being tested on your knowledge by remembering certain techniques or drills, and making sure you do all the technical stuff as well. It's not just trying to show off to the other students or your instructor either, it's also a chance to test yourself, regardless of whether you pass or not.

I won't lie, I like gradings. They give me something solid to aim for. Something to train for. Something that is a better indication of my progress than results from a competition. Sure, I always train to be a better martial artist overall. But longer term goals like that just don't do it for me as well. Plus, once I start training harder, whatever the reason, I never want to decrease the level of training I do.

I don't think of belt as the be all and end all, far from it. I don't expect respect just for the fact that I wear X coloured belt. Hell, I can get my **** handed to me by lower ranks. But for me personally, taking off the old belt and being given permission from my instructor to wear instead something of a higher rank means a lot. It's telling me that all my hard work has been noticed and that I have improved and I am learning. It's recognition from a person I respect.

But then again, I get the same kick out of him saying 'Nice work'.

The moral. Horses for courses. Some people really work well with grading, whereas others don't. Certainly, no martial arts system really needs them and focusing too much on the colour of the belt can create a huge opportunity for overly large egos to creep in, as well of course fakery. But it can be an advantage to some students to have something physical.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  4. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

The grade maybe says what you known about the system you have been studying (my lass studies flute and has shown her scales etc) and that you are proficient at least to a minimum standard... think this is what used to be what people did in the east for many years (although maybe no formal test and only given a grade after you knew the 'system' completely) until Prof Kano came along in the last century.... he was trying to make things more sporty/give motivation I believe.

Funny thing is that I think that he also left it so challenges were allowed irrespective of grades achieved. Have heard of BB guys fighting at 'masters' level meeting white belts that could hand many their proverbial 'as*es!

Think that the business ethic (where would things have gone without TKD/sport karate eh), egos etc have made a big mess of things... not sure that anyone can totally blame the west for these.

Chose not grade? Well sometimes you don't have a choice heh heh.... have seen more than one guy refuse to wear a belt/grade... doesn't really help things. Sometimes you do (ie in judo there is no mandatory testing from what I can see....).

Sad thing is that when grades were more of a motivator (ie for getting higher gradings) in judo then more people were interested in actually fighting/testing their stuff..... which goes to show that the Prof saw something about human nature!!!

Interesting in wrestling there was no 'grading' system but you were restricted in the level you could compete in unless you had won at lower levels to show that you were safe enough not to hurt/damage yourself or others by your lack of skill/knowledge.

So the answer? Why be concerned? If you get something out of testing etc, it makes you happy or whatever then go for it. If you don't then find out what you want to do/achieve and don't get in a tizz about those that want something more formal ego building.

Been in both positions... something that has changed back and forth for various reasons. Never been concerned that much and recognised that maybe the gradings sometimes are more for those around you than for yourself... if you didn't have grades then how would the BJJ guys know who to challenge ;' ) ... who would the lower ranks know to run to when someone was taking the pi** and last but not least how would you stop all the arguements about how to line up at the beginning of classes (you would not believe the sh*t the girls in my daughters gymnastics club go through try to appear to be 'taller' so they can stand at the top of the que heh heh).

Play hard, have fun, no one gets seriously hurt.. great motto from the sixties..
    ? a test of our skills as people that our training ends up this way :' )
    maybe the only grading that truly should be mandatory :' )

fwiw

powchoy

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  5. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I do not have any coloured belts other than black or white in the makotokai. We use the sempei kohei system where the senior grade is expected to challenge and assist the lower grade.
    This was the original sytem in JMA .

regards koyo

6. Addy

Addy New Member

For me i have done other martial arts than the ones i do at the moment

but when i moved house and had to join a new place...(i got brown belt before i moved)...there martail art was simlar to my old one, i knew all the stuff one of there brown belts knew and becasue of the belt system i was limited to doing stuff i already knew easly and only getting a very little time on advanced stuff. Obviously im doing advanced stuff now as im a 2nd dan.

but i always felt the belt system actually limits you. you oftain learn whats on the system and in some martial arts there are some moves you will use. But other moves you wont ever use in your life and some that are so ineffective you would likely end up dead after trying to use it. When you have the tecniques down you have to wait for a grading aswell when you could be learning other stuff. now i still do a belt systemed martial art but only becasue my instructor does lots of stuff that isnt in the system such as teaches us boxing aswell becasue hes a boxing coach, teaches us effective knife defence that works and is simple, lets us do alot of stuff that isnt in the system, but thats just my instructor being that our lessons are 1 and a half hours long instead of typical hour we get alot more done especally since warm-ups are done before class so the whole 1 and a half hours is done without warm up included

still more to the point ive got off topic

After doing a none belt systemed one, i didnt feel so limited becasue of the belt i felt more free to do things

being that all my other martial arts are none classical having no forms/kata and no set tecniques needed for a system...You learn ALOT more inside the classes, its ALOT funner as its less repetative not doing the same system everylesson...and its ALOT more street fighting (the jeet kune do i do) or sport (the kickboxing and thai boxing i do).

Im not putting any martail art down but im just stating that sometimes the systems, dont need to go...But i think if u are having one...

It could be modified with things that less repatative as i oftain fight it boring doing the same form or somethings many times i wanna try something new

Not trying to put the system down im just saying...

Ofcourse alot of people will like it, im not a fan of it but i do a martial art with one anyway and i respect it

But for me i do prefer not having a system as i dont belive you can learn everything about fighting (putting the art asside)...with a system, when combat has no system to it at all and is completly unpredictable you cannot always use a set patten or system.

But on the other hand, if you love the art...the system is perfect personally i love both so i do one with the system but i value the defensive and fitness more than the artistic part, that and i belive just doing it without a system shows your comitment to do it as you wouldnt do it if you didnt want to, and every move you make is a form of expressing yourself with the body

just my opinion anyway not trying to shove down any martial art with or without a system

Adam

7. Bruce_Lee93

Bruce_Lee93 Martial Movie Addict

I'd probably agree with you there. I've been doing Karate for 2 years and I'm easily as good as some of the yellow belts in my Dojo, but since gradings are only held once a year, I'm stuck in red belt until God knows when. I just started crosstraining in Kickboxing as wel, and I think that the lack of a grading system is good, since because of my Karate background I can do all of the suff that the experienced kickboxers can do, and I'm not told not to cos I just started.

8. TRK

TRK Valued Member

I've been thinking about this a lot recently and have decided I am firmly of two minds about it. I have moved around a lot, so I have trained in different arts, as well as different versions of different arts. I have trained in Aikido dojos that follow Koyo's traditional approach, as well as some that use colored belts. I trained in Seibukan Jjujutsu (a Hakko Ryu derivative), that emphasized gradings and progression to an extreme, with a pretty strict curriculum enforced at each level. Now I train in a reasonably traditional Goju Ryu karate dojo and passed my first grading last night.

I agree with righty's comment above. There is value in practicing something, then pressure testing it in front of your peers. Obviously, that doesn't require that you do formal gradings and change the color of your belt, but gradings do provide a system to ensure that happens. A colored belt also gives an easy estimate of your partner's skill level when training with somebody new. You might respond differently to a person wearing a white belt than one wearing a brown belt either taking it easy or being careful not to anger them, depending on your relative skill level.

Gradings and hierarchical belt structure can also impose artificial constraints on what you are allowed to learn. This can be frustrating to a person like me or Bruce Lee93 who comes in with experience from another system. I try to see it as a chance to learn another approach to fighting without prejudging. Goju Ryu is very different than anything I have studied before. Being a white belt forces me to spend the time to learn the basics carefully without adding any of my ideas from other styles on top. It is also, frankly, a good lesson in humility.

I don't train to gain a colored belt. I train to learn. But I enjoy the added stress of the test because it helps me push myself. I also enjoy the recognition of my skills that comes with the visible manifestation of the belt. Where I think there an be trouble is when gradings become pro forma exercises and people are promoted simply because they show up, and they took the test. That isn't what a test should be. There should be a chance of failure. Social promotion in schools is bad. Social promotion in MA is scary because it gives people who have no idea what they are doing the idea that they can fight.

9. Zerodauto

Zerodauto Valued Member

Actually back in the 1800's there were only two belts black and white. It wasn't until the early 1900's until the founder of judo created the belt system to show a clear indication of one's progress. Before then, practitioners would just train until their master felt they were skilled enough for a black belt then they would go straight to black from white. It's only really now of days when we find that there are those who have black belts that don't deserve them, because most school are only out for a profit.