Grading

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by JamesR, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

No

2. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

Sorry Obewan, but I have heard of some school owners that do. When I was researching contracts when I first started teaching Kuk Sool I came across several KSW teachers that have it in there tuition agreements. I never put one in any of mine and it is NOT (that I know of) a WKSA thing. They were funnier then h$@@. They was also a no compete clause. For 5 years after you quit there school you could not teach any Martial Art within 20 miles of any KSW school. That is how it read. There was even a penalty amount of some outrageous amount if those clauses where broken.

Again for Obewan, I do not think it was a WKSA thing. But it was very very interesting. :evil:

3. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

No kidding? Well I never heard of it, but doesn't mean anything. I can see it at BB level but under BB I wouldn't think it would be an issue. It's common place in business to have no compete clauses for employees and or partners. I could understand not wanting a BB to open up in the same community.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  4. karma

karma Valued Member

But I don't think that would apply to someone no longer with the wksa.

5. karma

karma Valued Member

get along? Sure. I am not trying to be discourteous towards anyone, just trying to express another aspect than someone else.

6. karma

karma Valued Member

Not missing any point. What is overcharging and what is not is up to each individual. Some people may think 50 bucks a month is overcharging, whereas I think you'd be hard pressed to find decent instruction anywhere near that low, unless at a y or something. I am not arguing the point of people that have very little martial knowledge or skill charging an ARM and leg for classes, but for those that do have good skill and good knowledge, is it overcharging to make a living? If all someone is looking for is the cheapest out, there are plenty of instructors out there teaching that I would be happy to refer someone to, but a skilled teacher probably is not going to be the cheapest around. I charge a certain fee and that's what my students pay. Some teachers incorporate testing fees etc. into their monthly price. I am one of those that can't stand the nickleing and diming stuff that does go on. And James is right, there are places you go and every single thing has a charge. That can be annoying, but that is that instructors prerogative, choose another school. The underlying thing here is, he feels his brother is being overcharged. A question I always tell prospective students to ask ( if they are shopping around ) is how do you arrive at your price. Are testing fees included within this price structure? Is there any " extra" equipment that will need to be purchased up front? Are there hidden costs that are not in the monthly tuition and if so, what are they? And what qualifications do you have that warrant this fee. It is not disrespectful to ask these things up front, I encourage it as the person knows what they are spending because most folks are on a budget.

7. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

Oh YES, YES, YES, there are allot of questions that should be asked. I am about to start teaching once again since the economy seems a little more stable (please keep it that way) and when I do, as I have always have, TOTAL COST estimates will be given to all prospective students. My tuition will not include Testing Fees. However they will be in writing. I use Applications for each belt and stripe testings. They have the prices printed on each one. My student hand book has all of these in it. That way the student or Parent has it up front. Nickel and dime'ing people sucks. Low balling them to get them into the school and sign a contract and then hitting them with sky high testing fees is also terrible. I hope for JamesR's brothers training he continues. :evil: