Grading - what happens?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Gadetgirl, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Gadetgirl

Gadetgirl New Member

My son has been doing martial arts (Matt Fiddes*) for a few months and wants to do his grading in a few weeks time.

Could anyone tell me what happens at grading? It takes place during the normal lesson time from what I can see. Do all the kids do their stuff together?

He has been given tabs and the instructor says he is ready for it.

* I can see from other threads that Matt Fiddes isn't always well spoken of, but our local instructor is brilliant, and it offers flexibility with classes that fit with my working hours. He is doing it for fitness, coordination and discipline.

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Can’t speak for Matt fiddes specifically , but generally, people going for the same grade tend to all get up together and do the same movements/techniques, the teacher may choose to ask indidual students to do something again individually if he thinks they’re borderline.
    As a rule of thumb , honest teachers tend not to tell people to grade unless they believe they’re ready , especially with kids , so just tell your son to do his best and enjoy the experience I’m sure he’ll do great.

Mitch and Gadetgirl like this.
  3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I know a few kids that go to the same organisation.

The instructors I've seen have been good at only sending those to gradings if they are ready.

They will be tested on moves, drills they learnt in class for their belt level.
    They will most likely be grading with various different belts, but only partnered with similar belt levels.

You should ask the instructor on what happens in the grading, they are often approachable (well certainly should be).

Gadetgirl likes this.
  4. Gadetgirl

Gadetgirl New Member

Thanks.
    I'll chat to the instructor next lesson.
    He is rather nervous about unknown things so I want to be able to prepare him what to expect.