grades

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by matsloth, Oct 5, 2003.

1. matsloth

matsloth New Member

hi im not a jkd man myself but i am hopeing you can clear something up for me,how do you have a gradeing system in a formless style designed by a man who held no grades .this is not a critasism merly a observation i have read a great deal on the great man himself and wondered if he thought of the gradeing system or wether it was derived after his death ,so if someone could clear that up for me , as he said a belt was only good for holding up your trousers ,yet again not a critasism but a observation.
    :cheers
    confused:

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

You don't.

3. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

another good thing about JKD, u cant be charged more money because theres no belts. :D

4. YODA

LOL - if only that were true Marku.

Sadly - the McDojo franchise is alive & well in JKD land :(

5. matsloth

matsloth New Member

its just i recently visited bob breens site and dan inosanto is 2nd degree black jkd under bob breen could be a miss quote

6. YODA

LOL - I think so :D

Dan Inosanto is Bob's instructor

2nd Degree BB in JKD - Bwaaaaaaaahahahahaaa

7. matsloth

matsloth New Member

sorry re quote http:www.bobbreeb.co.uk dave birkett 2nd deg jeet kune do bob breen black belt under dan inosanto ,black belt 5th deg full instructor in jun fan gung fu ,jeet kune do and kali under dan inosanto winston fraser black belt in kkd and kali under bob breen and apprentice level 3 instructor under jkd kali international,im just confused thats why i ask

8. YODA

Yes - it seems black belts in JKD are Bob's thing. Dan Inosanto does NOT award BB's in JKD.

9. matsloth

matsloth New Member

also uk jun fan jkd have 8 grades from white/yellow/red/orange/green/blue/purple/brown/black
    its just most styles are honest about selling grades /or haveing a ranking system thats not a bad thing you need to know were you stand

10. YODA

Sigh

11. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Odd...

Could just have been added to please the masses....

As soon as anyone finds out you do martial arts they want to know if you're a black belt....

12. YODA

True Andrew

Personally "pleasing the masses" is not on my agenda :D

13. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Need to get people in the door :D

14. matsloth

matsloth New Member

not being offencive but why not just admit jkd has a gradeing system maybe not your club but jkd as a whole from the sites ive seen (all official jkd sites bb d ino ect) which was not lees vision (this is only from my limited reading on the subject)im not trying to iritate im just interested

15. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

Number 1) Why do you need a belt to tell you were you stand? My school has no belts and I know exactley where I stand.
    Number 2) JKD IS NOT A STYLE.
    Number 3) I think belt systems only incourage vanity in martial artists. Your black belt means nothing to me. It may mean something to you (you worked very hard, trained long hours ect).I am not saying that you yourself don't impress me, I am just saying the color of your belt doesn't. I have meet orange belts with more skill than blue belts, and white belts with more skill than orange belts. It's not the belt that makes the man, it's the man that makes the man.

Anyone agree? / disagree? / Why?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2003
  16. matsloth

matsloth New Member

what you are saying is true im an instructor in american kenpo also licenced to teach kickboxing /tai jitsu and i am mma and have a interest in many styles (sytems/ideas/concepts/ect)i am dan grades in all my systems an i have worked many hours for my belts and it does mean a lot to me personaly (no vanity i have no vanity only humility )it is the man and not the belt ,but my thread was about jkd and gradeing systems people say you dont have a belt system but clearly some jkd schools have im asking why .are you saying they have vanity, jkd is a concept art like parkers kenpo there are great differences but they are concept arts bruce spent a lot of time with ed parker at long island beach .lee was a great man but his art is still being sold belt or no belt .

17. YODA

Now THAT I can agree with.

18. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

So Yoda, how does one become a JKD Instructor? I believe that there are different levels of Instructors, so to the uninitiated this could look like grades.

Col

19. matsloth

matsloth New Member

true and true i love martial arts ALL MARTIAL ARTS it should be a comunity there are many great men in martial arts lee was definatly one of the but there are others before him and after him this is not a critasm of the man just an observation ,but i think it is great to debate, im not a jkd man but i can still debate on jkd and i have enjoyed all the opinions i have heard and i hop it continues:D ps i still love my belts:love: