Gracie Barra

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Awakening, May 13, 2007.

1. Awakening

Awakening is on vacation

Forgive me if this is a silly/obvious question, but I'm a total BJJ newbie. Such a newbie in fact, that I haven't even started training! I've been looking around for some local schools, one of which is Gracie Barra. Would that be a good place to train? I'm looking for high calibur training...would that be a good place to go? If not, does anyone know any other good BJJ schools near Vancouver, BC?

2. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Gracie Barra is a good name.

3. Atharel

Atharel Errant

Yeah, I've never heard anything but respect when the name Gracie Barra is mentioned.

4. Lekta

Lekta Super-Valued Power Member

If you want to learn true Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, go to Gracie Barra

5. Atharel

Atharel Errant

True Brazilian Jiu-jitsu? Gracie Barra is good, but I hope you're not implying they have some sort of monopoly on teaching "real" BJJ. I'd have to ask why there are so many champs who aren't associated with them.

6. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Personally, I'd go check this school out: http://www.kelleesama.com/

I read a writeup about Liz Posener in NW Fightscene magazine, and then met her at the last BJJ/Sub wrestling tournament in Seattle. They don't teach BJJ, but seem to have a well rounded curriculum including pankration and muay thai among others. The guy who teaches there has numerous belts, and Liz (his wife and also an instructor there) is fighting at the next Smack Girl even in Japan later this month.

If I wanted to learn to fight, I'd definitely check them out!

7. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

Gracie Barra is a well respected name.

8. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Gracie Barra is a big name in BJJ, but not the only one. You should check out as many schools as you can and choose the one that suits you best.

9. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Out of interest, what are the other club names in BJJ? I train at a Gracie Barra myself, and am just curious to know what else is there?

10. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

I train at a lotus club affiliate.

11. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Some big names in the UK are:
    Roger Gracie academy (although this is really a Gracie Barra offshoot)
    Brazilian Top Team
    Alliance Jiu Jitsu
    American Top Team
    Carlson Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    De La Riva Jiu Jitsu

There are also lots of clubs with an affiliation to an MMA gym that teach BJJ, such as Next Generation and Wolsflair in the Liverpool area. And obviously, lots of other good clubs that don't necessarily have a 'team affiliation.

12. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

What exactly does that mean? I haven't researched it, but I know the nearest BJJ place is a Lotus Club one (actually, I think both of the two nearest ones are) and I kind of wondered what that meant.

Edit: Whoa. Didn't notice you're in Covington. You probably ARE at that nearest BJJ place. :eek:

13. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Well, I don't know all the details. LotusClub Jiu-Jitsu is a brand/club in Brazil. I train with James Foster, who got his black belt from Juliano Prado, who got his black belt in Brazil at this LotusClub school.

Basically, all of this is just lineage. Personally, the only important thing for me is whether it's legit. Is the school or club teaching legitimate BJJ or are they crappling? Knowing the lineage can help with that. So, an Alliance BJJ, Gracie Barra, ATT... that kind of thing helps you know. Also, knowing who gave your instructor his black belt helps. For example, a guy I know trains in Idaho under a Pedro Sauer black belt.

So, you're in the area? I really like my school. It's, in my opinion, the best option in the south king county area. :)

14. alister

alister Huh?

Rickson Gracie Jiu Jitsu Association - only two of those in Europe - one in Holland and one in the UK - the rest are US & Japan.

15. Awakening

Awakening is on vacation

OK, so another question: does anyone know anything about Carlson Gracie Jiu Jitsu? The two big BJJ clubs I've found here in town are Gracie Barra and a Carlson Gracie school. Are there any big differences between the two?

16. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Well, they're both legit programs. Honestly, you need to do some legwork. Go down and meet the guys who run each school. That's critical. I know that I couldn't handle some schools, even though the quality of instruction is very high. I get frustrated when things aren't structured well. I don't like going to class at 6 and sitting around shooting the bull til 6:15 and before warmups start. I don't like getting done with my 7pm to 8:30pm class at 8:45 or later. I couldn't do it. Some places are run loose and relaxed. I need structure.

So, my point is, both programs being high caliber, you need to go down and see if either program fits your personality. Do you like the club? Do you like the schedule and the price?

17. Awakening

Awakening is on vacation

Thanks for all the great info everyone. I know the best thing I can do is go out and try a class or two at the clubs I'm interested in, but since I'm out of town for a few months I'm doing as much online research as I can before I get home.

18. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

''Some big names in the UK are:
    Roger Gracie academy (although this is really a Gracie Barra offshoot)
    Brazilian Top Team
    Alliance Jiu Jitsu
    American Top Team
    Carlson Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    De La Riva Jiu Jitsu ''

Dont forgot the SBG guys!
    http://www.karltanswell.com/

19. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

LOL. how could I forget SBG, home to Britain's top female MMA fighter, Rosi Sexton: http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?FighterID=5358

:)

<--What he says. The core of the technique they teach will be the same, but the way it is delivered will vary from club to club, even within the same team. You need to find somewhere that suits you because BJJ is a long-haul art and you need to stick at it for a few years to get anywhere.

20. James L

James L Valued Member

The Carlson Gracie academy in Vancouver is run by Marcus Soares, 7th dan from Brazil (directly under Carlson).

His academy has other black belts training at it, including people like Stephan Keasting (if you are active in BJJ you know who Stephan is).

You can't go wrong.