Gracie-Barra UK?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Emil, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Hi guys. I'm looking into starting Gracie-Barra BJJ soon. I know of clubs in Manchester, Birmingham, Brighton, and Oldham. Can anybody please tell me where there are others?

Regards

Em

2. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Check here! ;)

3. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Ah thanks. I looked on that flamin' website too, but couldn't find it lol

Em

4. alister

alister Huh?

Any reasons why Barra? Nothing wrong with that - it's not the only association to teach BJJ, that's all.

5. spirez

spirez Valued Member

The best schools in the country are Barra ;)

6. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

Sheffield, Doncaster, Essex i think, one in the midlands somewhere too. And London obviously.

7. BroKicker

BroKicker New Member

Anyone know of any BJJ in the Southampton or Porstmouth area?
    This MA seems to be a rare thing down South

8. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Not sure about pure BJJ, but there are several MMA gyms around that will offer grappling sessions

9. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

The results of the Bristol Open back in March (not August) mention a David Cooper coming 2nd in the Super-Feather category: his club is listed simply as 'Portsmouth'. That would indicate there is some kind of BJJ instruction in the area, or at least something closely related.

Depending on how far you'd be willing and able to travel, there's a good BJJ class in Brighton under black belt Marcio Gomes, who I can personally recommend having trained with him a couple of times. There's also someone on here who trains with him regularly, I think.

Alternately, you could the Bulldog Gym in Bournemouth, which apparently has MMA. I've also read that another BJJ black belt, Alex de Souza, teaches there - not seeing the relevant listing, except for this old website with out-of-date times and prices (according to this link, anyway).

10. BroKicker

BroKicker New Member

Thanks guys,

Bournemouths and Brighton are a bit far. I'll do a bit of digging on the Portsmouth'Cooper'. Thanks for the ideas. I have found a gym in Southampton but they are MMA but do list BJJ and many other MA. Any ideas on this type of place.
    Can they really give the true BJJ or is it just another Jack of all trades(MMA)

I have been searching on web for hours but nothing local. I know there are loads of MA clubs around that do not have web sites. So I am hoping to stumble on a BJJ club near me, maybe through word of mouth. Hence using this site.

Any other ideas out there greatfully received

11. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

If your only interested in grappling i wouldn't bother with MMA unless its the only option. Think about it, your going to be wasting 50% of the time doing striking, while other places will be doing 100% grappling.

12. 2cube

2cube New Member

Ben Poppleton is one of the UK's BJJ black belt's, based in Doncaster. He's always going to Brazil for a few months at a time so is well up on the latest techniques. Top guy, if your near Doncaster get down to his club.

13. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

Can't seem to find the thread now, but I seem to remember you mentioning how you had to travel a long distance, as there was no BJJ in North Wales?

Now there is. Ok, so still not super-near Trawsfynydd, but closer than the ones in England:

SBJJ
    Kinmel Bay Leisure Center,
    12 Rhys Avenue,
    Kinmel Bay, Rhyl,
    Conwy, LL18 5
    steve@lfpt.co.uk
    07799 532725 (Steve)

14. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Kamon have a class in Portsmouth I believe.

ENSKA Keep Fit Martial Arts Centre 222-223 Kingston Road Fratton Portsmouth PO2 7EG

Thursday
    Kamon Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class 7:30pm to 9pm

Saturday
    Kamon Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class 10:00am to 11:30am

Contact details on the above website.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  15. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

my kamon club in Portsmouth is gracie-barra team

16. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

probably should have read that one before i posted