Gotta skip competition class due to weakness...

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by KellyOwens, May 5, 2006.

1. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

I'm so frustrated with this! I started feeling poorly last Saturday (for me that means not able to eat well, sleep well, achy joints, cold w/ hot flashes and tremors). By Tuesday everytime I did a kick my legs would literally go mostly numb on both legs down into my feet.

It's now a 24/7 issue. Both of my arms and legs feel as if they're "waking up" after being "asleep". Tonight at class I was functioning at about 15% of my normal capabilities (my instructor was very understanding thankfully).

Tomorrow is competition class. It's a 2 hour work-out geared towards training for competition (obviously :rolleyes: ). I hate missing it because testing is coming up (this is my first grading that I'll be sparring) and there's a competition my instructor wants me to go to in June.

I have no idea if I'll be feeling better by then or not. I've never felt quite like this before but due to financial constraints I can't really afford to make the trip in to the doc.

I'm mostly just venting :eek: . Hopefully this will be one of those times that the "odd-ball" symptom just up and disappears as quickly as it came. In the meantime thanks for listening ya'll!!

Kelly

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

don't you have some kind of white cross thing in america? over here white cross is a doctors place where you can go and be seen straight away for a fairly small amount of money (compared to visiting a private doctor) and if you are poor there are usually discounts you can get.

3. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Is anybody else around you showing the same signs and symptoms? It may just be mild flu. If that's not the case get yourself to a doctor and get checked out. Definitely don't train, listen to your body which is telling you to rest.

4. flutterfists

flutterfists Valued Member

You should probably be in bed. . . Are you coughing up phlegm or vomiting?

5. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

We have Urgent Care and ER but it's more expensive to go there. There aren't any low cost clinics around here (I live in a small rural area).

LOL, nope I don't have a virus or anything...it's just life being me; the symptoms I listed are common but the leg numbness/weakness is not. I've had hip/shoulder girdle weakness in the past (had to use a cane...I was 28...it was awkward to say the least :D ).

I have autoimmune disease that causes these flare-ups of symptoms...there's nothing I can do about them. The reason for my trip to a doc would be to make sure it's not something else since I've never had this symptom before. I don't go in for my "typical" symptoms...they usually pass within a couple of weeks so hopefully this will too.

I'm on medication which keeps me from being bed-ridden LOL, but it doesn't help these exacerbations.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and concern. If it persists much longer or gets worse I won't hesitate to call my doc.

Kelly

6. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

My sympathy Kelly! My wife has autoimmune issues too, degenerative arthritis, ligmentatia, spinal stenosis, and a host of other issues. Plus, she is overweight which I don't think helps any of the above conditions. Research your symptoms online and see how your condition might cause your current symptoms. Barring any new information you may dig up, you maybe just going through a different phase of your condition. Do not put off the Dr. visit if you have the slightest question about your health. :cool: :Angel:

7. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Puts a different perspective on it, but if your symptoms have changed it's definitely the right time to go and see your doctor.

8. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

Narcsarge, I'm so sorry to hear about your wife! My heart goes out to you both (sometimes I think my husband suffers as much as I do :rolleyes: ).

I'm hoping to see a holistic MD early next year. It takes a long time to get in to see him but from what I understand it's worth the wait (I also have to drive 3 hours to get there).

Bil Gee, sorry I wasn't clearer in my original post! I do feel that I should at least get my dr's opinion if nothing else. I think I'll wait out the weekend and call my dr on Monday if things haven't changed for the better.

In the meantime I'm going to start taking my mult-vitamin and extra calcium/magnesium...maybe it's something as simple as anemia or lack of calcium.

Kelly

9. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Thank you Kelly. We spouses do suffer along with our mates. One thing I have learned from my wife and her condition is NEVER let the medical community make you think it is all in your head or there is nothing that can be done. Most of us are not "Pioneers" when it comes to illness, disease, or injuries. Someone has been there before us. Read all you can about your illness and symptoms, make changes that improve your mental well being as well as your physical. The 2 go hand in hand! Don't lie to yourself either. Be absolutely dead honest! Make sure you have the correct diet, supplements, etc. for your medical well being. I hope everything goes well @ the Dr. Let us know how things progress. :cool: :Angel:

10. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

Well, I posted a week ago and wanted to update a little. I'm thankfully feeling better every day. I "turned a corner" on Wednesday (I had to sit out quite a bit at class on Tuesday) and was able to take a small part in the exhibition yesterday (broke with a skipping side kick...took two tries but I'm not complaining :D ).

I'll be going to competition class tonight but have to "take it easy" because I'm testing tomorrow. My instructor always makes those who are grading go lighter the day before.

I wasn't sure I was going to be able to test but I think I'll do okay. I feel a little weak and out of shape (the flare-ups take a lot out of me physically...including about 7 pounds). The sparring will be light, my break is simple and my kick combos shouldn't be too difficult (I'm testing for green tag).

I'm excited to be on the up road and will be working my way back up. I'm hoping to be prepared to compete in June (competition on the 10th). As a green stripe in my division the sparring most likely won't be too intense (there's not many women competing in the 18-33 year old division...I think it's just a busy time of life for women in general).

Thanks for all of your encouraging words and support. I can't tell you how much it helps :Angel: !

Kelly