Goshin Jitsu Judo

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Syd, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your help earlier in the year regarding my queries "JJJ or Judo?". I took a long break due an injury and now I've recovered and training is back to near 100% again. I have been looking for Shuai Jiao teachers in my area to compliment the throwing/takedown aspects of my Combat Taijiquan but here in OZ it's non existent. Hence my earlier search for a good Judo club or JJJ club that really handled this stuff. I was always keen on finding a good traditional Judo school that didn't focus so heavily on the Sport side but they too were nearly non existent until I found club near to me called Goshin Jitsu Judo of the International Budo Fed.

A blurb at their page says...

Quote:
    The Association teaches the full curriculum of old style traditional Judo, including knee, foot, leg, wrist and back locks and atemi. It also teaches the three lost Katas of Judo, founded by Shihan Parulski (8th Dan) of the USA. We compete in Judo, Sports Ju Jutsu and BJJ events.

I wanted to run this by the guys in Judo who know their stuff.

# Anyone heard of Shihan Parulski?

# Whats the deal with the 3 Lost Katas of Judo?

Whats your opinion in a Combat Judo sense of what these guys have to say? Do they sound the goods to you from the blurb?

Thanks, Syd.

2. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Can anybody help me out on this?

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Can't say I've heard of the guy... have you tried searching the forum for his name, or doing a google search to see if he's known elsewhere?

4. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Hey mate,

Yeah, I found him in a yahoo search and he's quite high up among the various Judo associations in the U.S and has written a few books that have recieved luke warm reviews on Amazon ... doesn't mean his Judo's bad, not everybody who's good at MA writes good books.

I'm more interested in the content of what their curriculum speculates to teach from those who know about trad Judo. Whats your thoughts on what they profess to teach?

5. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I'd guess that the 3 "lost" kata of judo are the self defence ones. They're probably not truly lost per se, just not widely taught any more...

6. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

I imagine they mean lost to the sporting world of modern Judo. From what you know, how much of this quote below isn't/is taught in the general modern Judo school?

I'm just trying to work out what they offer thats more complete than modern Sport Judo schools.

7. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Pretty much everything, when you consider that most Modern 'Olympic Style' Judo clubs teach Throwing with some limited Groundwork and a bit of choking.

You certainly won't be learning Leg, Knee, Back etc Locks or any Atemi whatsoever. Most of that stuff isn't taught anymore in most judo clubs (more's the pity).

If I could find a Judo club like that near me, i'd be there. Go and see what it's like!

8. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Well thats what my gut told me but I wanted to hear from some experienced Judoka before I trundled down. I assumed that the total lack of response for the last few days might imply that there are few Judoka who have any experience in this kind of school ... "mores the pity" indeed!

I'll check them out and report back to this thread for those interested in how I went.