Google+

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Princess Haru, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Anyone here using it? What's it all about?

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

just created a profile. haven't quite figured it out yet, but the main distinctive features appear to be easy organization of videoconferences, and a sort of stumbleupon analogue.

3. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

So far have not had much opportunity to set mine up.

Certainly seems to be things like instantaneous uploads of pics/videos as well as group messaging etc that make it unique. Would be good for conference type messaging between friends or colleagues from what I can see but as mentioned still just starting out.

LFD

4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Yes I'm using Google+. Basically it's Google's answer to Facebook. So far so good. Privacy settings as usual aren't nearly as strong as they should be by default. But you can change them. There isn't as much clutter as on Facebook at the moment. Time will tell if that'll last.

At the end of the day it really just a new front end for Google's search engine. In "Sparks" you tell Google your interests and it finds a "stream" of suitable links for you. Which you can then share with people in your "circles". For example you can have a circle of friends.

Circles is just like Facebook's groups. But the interface is cleaner and easier to manage. Which is really the major difference between all the social networks. They all let you have some kind of space of your own where you can create a profile and post photos and such. One thing to watch out for though. The mobile app is set to share your photos by default as you take them. Meaning as soon as you've snapped a photo on your phone it uploads to Google+. You can disable this though.

So far I like Google+ It's a better way to search for content on the web and share that content with interested parties. Everytime I make a post or decide to share something I select the circle I want to share with. And only that circle of people gets to see the post or share.

Now if only they would get a move on and open it up to everybody. This invite only thing is stupid.

5. Fish Of Doom

speaking about invites, anyone want one? alternatively, what are your google+ usernames?

6. Princess Haru

I did wonder who got the first invites and why I didn't. Quite liked some of the Google wave features, would be really handy at work as do a lot of stuff across several locations

7. Fish Of Doom

shoot me a pm with your e-mail and i'll invite you, if you want. i got my invite like two days ago from another contact who was offering them to those who asked.

8. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Likewise. Anybody who wants an invite. Just drop me a pm. I'm aikiwolfie on Google+. Why would I be anything else :p

9. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

David Britten, add me if you wants me

The Bear.

10. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Suitable is a somewhat relative term. I put running in as an interest. So far I've had links on running a business, running from the law, running software, yet nothing on actually putting one foot in front of the other at a faster pace than walking. Hopefully they'll improve this.

I like the fact that there are no apps or games which I'm constantly receiving invites to as well, though I'm sure it won't last.

Invite only is a good way for them to stir up interest - gives it a level of exclusivity and means that most people on the system will have at least a handful of connections starting out.

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

It seems anybody can add anybody to a circle. Kinda like anybody can follow anybody on Twitter. So we have Google search, Twitter and Facebook rolled into one. :D It just keeps getting better.

12. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Thanks Aikiwolfie, I am now signed up. Lee Edwards is the name to go by i think, can't quite figure out if you can have nicknames or not.

13. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

No problem. I think you can. Check out the settings on the top right hand corner. Click on the little cog thingy.

14. Princess Haru

It will change what Google knows you as, first name and second name. I just have first name and initial of second name in case it's more searchable than I thought

15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Meh! I've had a Google account for ages now. Basically the first rule of the Interweb is, if it's so super secrete privet nobody can know about it... keep it off line! If it's on-line. Google already knows ;)

16. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

id like an invite if anyone can, thanks.

17. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

How do you check it out? I wanna see.

18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

If you guys send me a PM with your e-mail address I'll inivite you in.

19. Princess Haru

I've been exploring the settings in that little icon on the top right. So you can filter a lot of your standard Google account settings like you would with Buzz but on a greater level, and with Custom choose which Circles can see or are limited. I don't mind adding more people to my Far Flung Friends :)

20. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

went to have a look. they wanted me to verify my account by giving phone numbers and stuff. Forget that. I aint doing that. Besides I have a perfectly nice fb one.