Good UK karate instructors?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by GojuKJoe, Mar 24, 2006.

1. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

This year I'm hoping to broaden my horizons by travelling the country a bit to train with as many different karate instructors as I can. I'm only really interested in Goju-ryu, and kyokushinkai and it's off-shoots, so can anyone recommend any instructors who would be worth training with?

2. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

3. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

how old is arniel now? does he still teach in wimbledon?

4. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

gavin mulholland, dan lewis, steve morris, nick hughes, iain abernethy,

5. b19vny

b19vny Valued Member

Steve Morris isn't a karate instructor. He is however - from what I've seen and been told by people I've trained under (Terry O'Neill, Harry Cook, Dave Hazard, Simon Oliver and my own instructor Steve Cattle) - the #1 person to train with if you want to learn how to fight.

6. kitsune

kitsune New Member

for Shukokai - Sensei Robin Horsefall

7. Alberta

Alberta A legend in my own mind.

seiki juku (an offshoot from kyokushin) headquarters in twickenham the busen

8. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I'd heard that Steve Cattle had died. Is he still with us and I'm thinking of someone else? :confused:

9. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

Just to add to that, chief instructor is sensei Frank Perry, 7.th Dan kyoshi and his assistant and main contact person at the headquarters is sensei Carol David, 5.th dan renshi.

Christian

Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  10. b19vny

b19vny Valued Member

Steve has passed away. I trained under him as a member of the ESA and under his top student as a member of SRKH (Taiji Kase's group) for 20 years.

I no longer practice karate.

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Ah! That explains it.

12. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

What sort of training do you normally do in seiki juku?

13. JSKdan

JSKdan Valued Member

One more to add Sensie Paul Perry ( we do Shotokan but you might like the we he trains )http://www.jinseikai.co.uk/ . Also try the link for Enfield Town as it is run by the number two in Jin Sei kai Sensie Barry Shearer 7 dan and Paul Shephard 5 dan.
    Ps We also do Goju kata's as well as Shotokan, I train at Enfield :)

14. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

Normally at beginners level we go through the moves and katas for our style and then more advanced we do free sparring and pad work alot also. Our classes are very different every time as our senseis and sempais like to vary them. Also, depending on the day a different sensei (not always our assistant chief instructor Carol)takes the classes so they also bring their own style into the teaching.

Should pass by our dojo one time if you feel like it. Guests are always welcome.

Christian

15. Fire-Horse

Fire-Horse Valued Member

Okinawa Goju Ryu

If you're interested in Okinawa Goju here is the Dojo/Instructors link from the EGKA:

http://www.egka.org.uk/Dojo-Index.htm

I would recommend any of the senior instructors, contact details are on the web-page. EGKA also holds regular Gasshukus with senior instructors from the IOGKF, if you're interested it would be worth contacting EGKA admin.

16. Alberta

Alberta A legend in my own mind.

Well it depends on where you train, you can train at the head quters or with one of the senior instructors.
    We have sparring lessions, basic lessions, kata lessions and circuit training lessions

my instuctors web site
    http://www.hometown.aol.co.uk/sjkarateinfo/index.html

17. kyokutsuki

kyokutsuki Valued Member

Shian Alwyn Heath is a great instructor for Kyokushin