good psychological horror films?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by GojuKJoe, Jul 21, 2005.

1. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

Can anyone recommend any good horror films along the lines of The Grudge, The Ring etc? (meaning, not slasher horror types, but more supernatural)

2. Lekta

Lekta Super-Valued Power Member

Donnie Darko. Not as super natrual or scrary, but still creepy.

Hannibal

Silence of the Lambs

Red Dragon

3. gerard

gerard Valued Member

Mr. G.,

I simply cannot understand why have you posted a thread on a topic that has been posted by me this week, which also includes a poll.

Question:

Can you read?

Duh!

Watch Jacob's Ladder and The Changeling and let us know what you think?

Another good flicks are:

1. The Believers

2. The Ninth Gate

3. The Seventh Sign

4. Life Force (bit more sci-fi horror kind of movie though)

5. Sleepy Hollow (horror/thriller)

I am mixing here release dates. Sorry.

P.S.: Donnie Darko is not a horror flick. It would be sci-fi thriller. Nothing scary on it ??

Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Good grief Gerard. Was that really necessary? How about just being helpful and pointing him in the right direction? Do you really need to be so rude?

If you'd talk to someone like that in real life, I'd deem you unpleasant. If you wouldn't, I'd suggest that you rely a little less on the keyboard courage here.

To answer the original question, I recently saw White Noise and The Darkness. I thought both were worth checking out (though I was a little disappointed with the ending of White Noise).

Stuart

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

PFFTTTttt!!!!!!

LOL. Gerard lighten up already.

GojuKJoe,

I have a thread going here:http://martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36280&highlight=The+Shining

On a good psychological/supernatural film. One of the classics and one of the best in my opinion.

Check it out.

6. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

Cheers, I've seen White Noise, and was also disappointed with the ending, but I agree, The shining is a great film.

I've never heard of The Darkness, who's in it?

7. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I'd agree with Donnie Darko. Good film, kinda weird.

Obviously the Grudge. (D'uh, lol)

The Shining, as slip mentioned.

I like Stigmata, not too gory. Same with The Order. Not necessarily horror movies per se, but very psychological.

If you want really old, go with something like Rosemary's Baby. That was interesting. Or the original Stepford Wives.

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

One that might count and is worth watching none the less is:

David Lynch's classic

Blue Velvet

with the always psychotic Dennis Hopper.

Attached Files:

9. Lilika

Lilika Scientia est potentia

White Noise was Ok.
    Secret Window ( My Favorite.)
    Anything by M. Night Shyamalan.
    That is all I can think of right now.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

M. Night Shymalan definitely!

The Darkness has Anna Paquin from The X-Men (Rogue) in it. It's directed by a Spanish director named Jaime Baguero (if I've spelled that correctly).

Some of Guillermo del Toro's less sensational stuff (which I love too) might fit the bill. Try out The Devil's Backbone for example.

The Kevin Bacon flick Stir of Echoes is quite good too. It kinda got drowned out by the excellent flick The Sixth Sense (because they're very similar plotwise). But it's worth checking out on its own merits.

If you haven't watched the original Japanese version of The Grudge yet (aka Ju-On), that's well worth a watch as well. The American version is more streamlined. Which is better in a lot of ways. But I really liked the original as well.

Stuart

11. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

I actually just watched the japanese version of the grudge the other day. I thought it had a better, more adventurous storyline than the american one, but i thought the american one was a little bit scarier, probably because of better special effects. Although I thought the scene near the end of the japanese one where the spirit comes down the stairs, was just as scary, maybe more so, even with lower budget special effects.

I watched Stir of Echoes when it came out and thought it was really good, probably better than The Sixth Sense in my opinion.

I'm looking for a film that I'm actually going to find scary, which is very hard to do.

12. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Shamylan's been lame with everything after and including Unbreakable. Signs was cheesy. The Village was horrific...to think that I spent 20 bucks to go see it.

For psychological horror, I'd say the Blair Witch Project. (Not the sequel, useless piece of film that was). Everything in the movie is implied. You never see anything. It's all sounds, and how the actor's react. Classic.

Also, Showgirls. Truly frightening. ;)

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I thought the American version was tighter in that it didn't encompass quite so many "characters." (I put characters in quotes because several people in the Japanese version aren't really characters. They exist solely to get killed and establish the nature of the curse.) But the Japanese one has an intangible feel (perhaps just by virtue of being a foreign film to me) that I found creepy.

Depending on the day, I'd be inclined to agree with this.

Start with The Darkness. See what you think. I'll keep thinking.

Stuart

14. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Blair Witch loses a bit of the impact since the mystery is so far removed, but definitely worth seeing.

I have mixed feelings about the Darkness. On one hand it was different, on the other it just seemed like something was missing. But worth checking out anyway.

Has the Forgotten been mentioned? I enjoyed that one.

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

The Forgotten is a pretty good one. The Darkness I wasn't thoroughly satisfied with myself. But it was the right kind of dissatisfied for me. The kind that makes me want to know more. Not the kind that makes me sorry I bothered. In other words, it made me want to know whether it was based on a book or something where I could learn more.

Stuart

16. Cpt_Harlock

Cpt_Harlock New Member

I would recommend a film called Audition. Its very slow in the first hour of the film, But I felt the payoff was worth it. It really punches you in the gut near the end.

17. gerard

gerard Valued Member

That's the way I am. Straight to the point. Not rude just realistic, otherwise I would have not posted any movies at all.

:love:

18. gerard

gerard Valued Member

What about The Ghost and The Darkness? My ex freaked out when she watched that flick.

Personally I found it an adventure thriller. Other people may think that is more than that.

:)

19. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

gerard, were you being serious when you made those ignorant comments? Because if you were, then why are you still posting in the thread?

If you weren't being serious, then thanks for your suggestions and i'll be sure to check them out.

20. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

Play nice kiddies.

Personal attacks such as implying someone is unable to read may get an other wise good thread locked.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2005