Good ol' Boxing

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Stick, May 6, 2004.

1. Stick

Stick New Member

Any other boxers here? Do you compete and how often do you train? I'm just getting back into boxing after seeing a need to improve in my sparring. (full contact karate)

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

There's a Boxing Forum isn't there? :D

3. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Boxed!!

Hi again Stick,

Don't know if you've accidentally posted here but I'll answer your query....

Quite a few WMA'ers include Good ol' boxing along with sword/stick....

Although from an 'all round' point of view, many tend to look back to the really ol' form of boxing which included wrestling holds, trips and kicks.

Other WMA'ers study modern boxing as part of French Savate which includes kicking.

I try to divide my class into 3 sections covering Single-stick, knife (dirk) and unarmed combat which includes the punches/kicks/trips of the early boxing era along with some traditional wrestling.

Louie

4. Stick

Stick New Member

Thanks for the comments, I did see the boxing forum but wasn't looking for sport boxing, I'm interested in boxing as a martial art. The way it was meant to be and the way modern mma'ers use boxing.

I want to (get back into) boxing to help my general sparring, I don't want to compete in boxing.

stick (and move)

5. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

6. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

You allso have Mendoza, but I don't have any links to any of his techniques. I haven't tried win-chun, but i've been told that some aspects are a bit similar to Mendoza.