Good Ninjutsu books/source's...

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by honest_john, Jan 28, 2004.

1. honest_john

honest_john New Member

Hello,

I am not new to Martial arts but am new to Ninjutsu having only studied for a few months (local Bujinken, UK), I've read the following Hatsumi Sensei books and wondered if anyone else had any other good recommendations and breif details as to why.

Ninjutsu: history & tradition.
    Essence of Ninjutsu / the nine tradition.
    The Grandmasters book of Ninjutsu training.
    Secrets from the Ninja Grandmaster.
    Good! now, Play.

I also read the somewhat dubious Stephen K. Hayes volumes 1 & 2 Ninja: Sprirt of the shadow warrior, which I found impossibly vague and lacking in any real detail.

I'm not sure where I stand on all the politics as I've not covered all the issues or source materials yet, but I can tell you this, I have gleamed a wealth of information from the Hatsumi publications that I have already put into practice but nothing from the Hayes side of things...

Cheers, HJ.

2. Mordred

Mordred New Member

I can really recommed all the Hatsumi books, also the book that he wrote on stick fighting, I can't recall the title, is an excellent book.

For a wealth of internet resources check the sites listed on http://www.winjutsu.com/

3. honest_john

honest_john New Member

Cheers Mordred, I think you mean:

Stick Fighting: Techniques of Self-Defense

I read it years ago, very good, as far as I remember it mostly covers the Jo only.

4. Mordred

Mordred New Member

Thats the one!

Actually the hanbo if I recall... It has great techniques, with good photo's. Helped me out a lot with grading.

5. honest_john

honest_john New Member

D'oh!......of course its the hanbo, I apologise, LOL.

6. johniemi

johniemi New Member

Which books would you recommend for me, I'm very interested in pressure points and I also need a book that would help a beginner train at home. I'm just starting out in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu. I would love to buy all the books but money talks and... well you know the rest.

-John

7. drew

drew New Member

honest_john I have PM you

8. honest_john

honest_john New Member

[QUOTEI would love to buy all the books but money talks and... well you know the rest. -John[/QUOTE]

I spent hours online reserching all the books I wanted and then compiled a list.

Now, every time my wife says "people want to know what you want for your birthday/Christmas/whatever" I give them the list.

Simple, yet effective, LOL.

9. Mordred

Mordred New Member

:D Thats a great idea - I'll start immediately !

Last edited: Jan 29, 2004
  10. johniemi

johniemi New Member

But how will I know which books to trust and which not? Is there a webpage with martial arts book reviews?

11. honest_john

honest_john New Member

Not sure about any specific webpages RE book reviews, other than Amazon of course - who usally let you have a few "reader reviews" and rate them too.

For me personally, the level of detail and philososphy that is apparent in the writing tells you alot about the author, the only drawback with this thoery is that you have to get the book first, so sorry!

Other than that I'm in the dark too mate, hence my original message....

12. Mordred

Mordred New Member

Check the author. Before you buy the book talk to knowledgeable people who do the art - they will tell you if the author is known or not.

E.g. Masaaki Hatsumi - if you find any books by Hatsumi you can be sure that the contents is not dodgy.

If the author is Ashida Kim , steer clear. :D

13. Kalifallen

Kalifallen looking for partner

Good advise Mordred. Masaaki Hatsumi books are all grade A reading. You won't have any complaints there.
    As for Ashida Kim, Glen Morris, Andrew Adams, etc, I don't know if they should be taken for real. They are questionable me. Don't say what type of Ninjutsu they do or anything like that. So, don't buy those books, but if you want a interesting read...check them out. I like to think of them as Ninjutsu fiction. Or at least that's the feeling I get from them. Ashida Kim one's are majorly entertaining.
    Stephen Hayes and Robert Bussey books are good. From them I recommend: Ninjutsu: Basic skills & Techniques (out of print, Robert Bussey. As the title implies it teaches the basics. But the end of the book is the best. Check it out at the library if you can.) Ninja volume 1-5 (Stephen Hayes), and The Ninja and their secret fighting art (Stephen Hayes).
    Of course for all of these books I suggest you to read them first before you buy them. Go to a library and/or book store and check to see what Ninjutsu books they have. Read them look through them to see if they have anything that you might need or find necessary for your growth as a student. Whether it is authentic (Masaaki Hatsumi) or questionable (Ashida Kim). Either way you have a full idea of the American and Japanese ways of Ninjutsu.

Well, happy reading.

P.S. I understand not all books are right for some people. So, that is why I say read them first so you don't have to waste your money or someone elses.

14. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Glenn Morris is legit, but if you are like me, it's just not your thing. Another good one is Tantojutsu by Jack Hoban. If you can find any of Jack's books, grab them. Very hard to find and OOP. Also, anything by Hatsumi Sensei.

15. ns_oni

ns_oni Valued Member

I liked #2 of K Hayes' Ninja Volumes, it was the first book i read for some reason and i liked how he shared his experiences, it also gave a good introduction.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2004