Good martial art for teenage girl?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by intently, Jul 31, 2008.

1. intently

intently New Member

My 13-year-old daughter wants to start learning a martial art, but I've got no idea what form/style/whatever she should start with. I don't want her getting hurt, so I'd rather her not be getting punched. She could stand to learn some discipline though, that's for sure!

2. erased

erased New Member

bujinkan / ninjutsu

strength need not apply.

will also help her if she dances as well.:hat:

3. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

as the saying goes, "judo is never a wrong answer."

4. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

Personally I'm partial to Shorin Ryu Karate, Aikido, and Hapkido.

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Accessory to murder.

BJJ or judo, Fighting from a prone position. They always know their attackers.

6. TheForbiddenOne

TheForbiddenOne Banned Banned

BJJ and Judo are NOT gonna stop your daughter from getting punched.

She'd be alot better off in Karate or Ninjutsu.

7. Topher

Topher allo!

Yeah, BJJ or Judo... great for women from a self deference perspective.

8. Topher

Topher allo!

Let's get real for a minute - if a young girl is attacked it will probably be by a man who will almost certainly be bigger/stronger, and may (unfortunately) be sexual in nature. BJJ and Judo are the best here. End of story. Even the better Karate styles out there are not superior than these for dealing with ground fighting, takedowns, and throws. Lets not even talk about Ninjitsu for those ranges!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  9. TheForbiddenOne

In Karate (or Ninjutsu) she will learn how to kick someones nuts and run away. That is 100 times more usefull than a young girl trying to wrestle with a "bigger/stronger" man.

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i'd say if your concern is NOW, don't get her to a martial art per se, instead get her to a special self defense system, like John Titchen's d.a.r.t.. Titchen himself posts here as jwt, and he likely knows more about proper self defense than half the forum, so i'd advise asking him, or pointing him in the direction of the thread.

11. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Judo would be an excellent choice. Boxing would be an excellent choice. Muay Thai would be an excellent choice. Filipino Martial Arts would be an excellent choice, based on your other post.

Where do you live?

Ninjutsu would be an excellent choice, but 90% of the Ninjutsu schools are crap. If you can get her in with some of the good apples, it's all well and good.

Same with Karate - 90% of the schools are strip mall, kata teaching crap that won't teach you anything about fighting but one steps and point sparring.

12. Yohan

Dude.

What planet are you living on?

This is earth.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2008
  13. TheForbiddenOne

TheForbiddenOne thanks you for your input yohan.

14. Yohan

NO worries big guy!

15. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

intently-in any good ma school she will eventually get some owies-just like if she plays any sport in school.I understand she's you're kid and you don't want her getting injured,we don't want to get injured-just understand that whether it's getting punched or locked up there is eventually some pain involved. The pain threshold increases over time.

What's available in your area? That helps us opine on the matter.

Fish brings up a very good point,if she wants to learn strictly for self defense purposes.

16. erased

erased New Member

So true. So many fakers.

You can never ensure any martial arts system will protect her from everything. Common sense should prevail (don't go out drinking and meeting the wrong guys/walking home alone, etc)

long term - ninjutsu is still my preferred choice for all women. (but yeah, decent school, not some crap rip off art)

judo isn't too useful in a club/crowd - seriously, this is a little girl you're asking to manhandle possibly a much bigger guy..
    Topher, anyone who concludes that is misinformed and likes to throw around sweeping generalisations

muay thai and boxing would be useful, but not so much for self defence for a small girl. speed and strength are important, but when strength is easily overpowered by a much bigger guy, what to do?

i'm not bagging the arts, you've already seen everyone here will say their art is the best - who can be the unbiased judge??...

but in the long run, it comes down to which one she can get the most out of, and most importantly - which one she enjoys. Because she'll train harder the more she enjoys it -and that is never a bad thing.

We can all train for the worst scenario in our own differnt martial arts, but what's to say you won't get clocked across the back of the head with a glass cigarette tray and knocked out while you were taking care of the two guys in front of you??

shop around with here for a bit; just keep your eyes open to the scammers who only want your money.

And like el medico said - it's not like the instructors wanna hurt the students, but inevitably their is pain involved - especially if you want to train properly. but the pain threshold does increase over time

17. erased

erased New Member

off topic, that's a sweet fitness journal yohan.

out of interest do you include any decent fat in your daily food?

roughly how much were you eating on your 4-6 weeks dieting? compared to how much you eat active?

good effort btw, keep it up, it's awesome to see, and i sent the link to a friend who needs motivation.

18. TheForbiddenOne

You can personal message Yohan, bra.

19. Dragonhead

Dragonhead Manchester United Fan :)

i know considering i am a beginner i shouldn't give advice but wouldn't wing tsun be good for a 13 year old girl?

sry if i'm wrong :bang:

20. mma.ufc

mma.ufc New Member

Judo first then she can try Ninjutsu.