Good MA, when in a wheelchair...

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Kata-Kid, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Kata-Kid

Kata-Kid New Member

I tried cruising this area previously, but couldn't really find the answers i needed on the following question.

I recently wound up in a chair, and therefore i had to quit my old style (BBT). What whould be a good style, when in a position like mine? I've heard Aikido or Tai Chi could be good, but are there others aswell??

2. iHeretic

iHeretic Not-for-Prophet

I suppose it really depends on why you're in a wheelchair now. Some MA will suit more than others, and what might suit you in your position might not suit someone else in the same (or similar). I'm a wheelchair use and I primarily do Aikido. I also practice Qigong and have started dabbling in Chinese broadsword... this is from an artistic rather than a practical point of view!

I'm assuming you're a manual wheelchair user, and the fact that you say you wound up in a chair suggests tetraplegia or similar injury-related reasons. In that case I'd imagine anything emphasising the upper body would be good. If there were clubs closer to where I live I'd definitely consider FMA or Wing Chun. (Incidentally, BBT = Bujinkan?)

Throwing out a couple of ideas there, but without knowing more it's hard to recommend :)

/b/

3. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

What Interests You?

The answer to your question depends upon your reasons for studying MA. If it is for spiritual well being and fitness with a little bit of self defense, than Tai Chi, Aikido, or Qigong would do nicely. This is not to say that there are not viable self defense techniques in Tai Chi or Aikido, quite the contrary. Self defense is simply not the primary focus of these arts. If you're more interested in self defense and sparring then I would suggest Xingyiquan, Wing Chun, BJJ, or MMA. HTH :)

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Depending on your range of movement, it might be worth looking at Judo?

5. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

What is your range of movement?

One of my schoolmates has a degenerative muscle disorder, is in a wheelchair, and got his black sash a couple of months ago. Ours is a hybrid style made up of Chin Na, Bagua, 5 Animals, Praying Mantis, grappling and weapons. Obviously the curriculum was modified, but he did just about everything the rest of us had to do... so perhaps one of these styles?

6. Kata-Kid

Kata-Kid New Member

My situation is that i got run over by a ,,,,, car :rolleyes:, and got my spinalcord severed at the hips (can't remember all the medical terms, sorry). I have full mobility in my upper body, but no use of my legs at all :cry:. BBT is Bujinkan, yes, and i've also done some MMA for quite some time. What i am looking for is (as i wrote) something where i won't necessarily need the legs, but where i can still defend myself and keep active. It is equally important to keep my mental training going (meditation), and i whould therefore prefer a traditional style (though i guess i can allways crosstrain):Angel:.

Thanks though, sofar there's been plenty of ideas but keep 'em comin' :love::love::love:!!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2005
  7. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Based on your range of movement, I would definitely look into Chin Na or Eagle Claw, Praying Mantis as well. They involve a lot of hooking or grabbing, especially Chin Na and Eagle Claw. If that's something you're interested in :)

8. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

How about a weapons based art? Iaido. I have never trained in it but they have sword cutting techniques from a sitting position. Thos techniques can be applied to a cane or bo.

9. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Why change styles? I can't remember the gentleman's name (perhaps Dale Seago or Ben Cole does) but at the last US Tai Kai, there was a gentleman in a wheel chair that seemed to be doing pretty good, and I'd say his range of movement was more limited than yours.
    What ever you decide, good luck!

10. Topher

Topher allo!

11. AuHg

AuHg McDojo Happy Meal

excellent link homer, i thought i was watching "ghost dog" when the rapping started.
    :D

12. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Just a thought but you may wanna try archery because with full uper body you could easily compete to a fair level in Target and Flight Archery. Field archery im not sure about however the other two you could participate in and enjoy.

13. moy vat

moy vat New Member

Stick Fighting

I would recomend stick fighting. I know an instructor who is in a chair. He is one of the best in the world. He moves his sticks hundreds of miles an hour. You can do the same.

14. speedbag

speedbag Valued Member

Wheel Chair and Speed Bag punching

Hi Kata Kid,

Diverting from a "MA Style" for a second, you could also use the speed bag to hone your punching skills and elbow strikes. People sitting in a chair cannot drop back into a classic fighting stance. You will need to learn how to punch facing forward, which is a very typical speed bag punching stance when standing,( with the shoulders parallel and square to the target) - but this is the exact position of sitting in a chair. If the degree of your injury is mostly lumbar, (or at least not high thoracic spine..) The upper body motions of normal speed bag punching will allow your torso to lean into a punch and follow through. And you can use many of the elbow techniques on the speed bag also.

This could be a great home activity for you. You do NOT have to stand up to hit the speed bag. It works perfectly well sitting down. Here are some links that may help you.

Wheel chair and speed bag/rehab possibility

Wheelchair & speed bag demo

speed bag samples sitting down * also note the elbow video clip

specific speed bag combination clips

these links should let you find enough information to start using one, even if you are a speed bag beginner. If not, PM me for some other options if you are interested.

the double end bag might also be a good choice for training and "slipping" punches at you.

I hope this helps. Your attitude is incredible! Good luck in your training.

15. drummerboy

drummerboy New Member

The teacher is more important than the art.

Hey Kata Kid:

If you are looking for self defence from a wheel chair, there are a number of arts which are applicable. Jiu Jitsu and Aikido would both offer good throws and locks based on leverage and joint manipulation.

The most important thing, however will be to find a Sensei/Sifu/Instructor who has EXPERIENCE teaching people in wheel chairs. To their credit, most intructors are willing to try adapting their style to suit anyone's needs. However, there ARE teachers who are experts in helping people with physical limitations. I have seen the difference between someone who is simply adapting their everyday techniques to eliminate the use of stances and body positioning and someone who has actually thought out self defence from a wheel chair. Here's a hint...ask them if they have ever SAT in a wheelchair before. If they haven't trained from a wheelchair themselves, how are they going to effectively teach you?

16. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Correct

DrummerBoy you have claimed ownership of the correct in admirable fashion sir. In 2003 I conducted a seminar on wheelchair self defense for the Ms. Wheelchair Kentucky Pageant. One of the young ladies had studied for six months at a local MA school and received her yellow belt. When I asked her what she had been taught, she threw a few reverse punches. When I asked what else she had learned, she said that was all. When I inquired about strength training, realistic drills, training on the ground away from her chair, etc. she replied that those things had not even been discussed. She was a college student, and her primary reason for enrolling these classes was self defense. Once she realized that was not what she was getting, she quit. After working with her to determine her existing strength level, range of motion in her arms, etc. we discussed scenarios that may occur where she would truly need to defend her self. We then worked on two or three techniques that she could apply with her existing capabilities. On going strength training, lots of drills, and work on the ground were planned for the future. She has since moved. I don't know if she has continued her pursuits. I do know it was a great compliment when she said she had learned more from me in five minutes than she had in six months at that school. My instructors tailored everything they taught me to suit my capabilities and be very effective. They then made sure that I conditioned hard in order to have the strength to actually apply my techniques on resisting opponents. I do the same for anyone who trains with me. I wrote the following in response to another thread. I feel that it is relevant here as well.

Unless the chair is the weapon, the majority of an armed or unarmed confrontation will take place while the chair is stopped. Even using the chair to attack leaves the defender vulnerable because their hands are propelling the chair. Also it is very easy to side step a moving wheelchair. Even if the defender uses an electric chair only one arm is available for defense. With a few exceptions wheelchairs manual or electric are easily toppled, leaving the defender on the ground. Therefore it is not a question of which technique or weapon. It is a question of practicality. The most vulnerable area of a defender in a wheelchair is their back. It is nearly impossible to effectively defend. With all of these variables working against a defender in a wheelchair, common sense must be the primary defense technique. Simply put avoid places, people, and situations that would put you at risk. Pay close attention to the world around you and the people in it. Hopefully you will avoid trouble, or at least see it coming and be able to escape before it gets to you. If robbery is an attacker’s sole motive, give them what they want. Money and things can be replaced, you cannot be. If an attackers motives are sicker than robbery, then the defender gains a slight advantage. In order for an attacker to touch the defender or remove them from their wheelchair, they must get very close to the defender. Depending on the defender and their wheelchair, there may be seatbelts or other apparatus that must be disengaged. The defenders advantage increases. How the defender capitalizes on these advantages depends upon their physical ability. Eye gouges, throat strikes, small joint breaks and locks can be effective without a great deal of strength if taught and applied correctly. The goal of the defender must be to end the confrontation as quickly and effectively as possible. The diversity among defenders in wheelchairs requires their techniques and training to be highly personalized. Once the defender knows which techniques will work most effectively for them, their focus must turn to conditioning so that they are strong enough to execute the techniques properly, and drilling the techniques until they are reflexive. IMO any type of weapon carried by a defender in a wheelchair is potentially a weapon for their attacker. I feel it is better to hone the skills and tools that will always be with you. If possible, the defender should also train for the eventuality of fighting outside their wheelchair.

I have 36 years of personal experience dealing with CP, 12 years of serious MA study, and 7 years of MA teaching experience. I have also worked with physically and mentally disabled adults for 7 years as a recreation aide, rehabilitation instructor, quality living assistant, and fitness instructor. I apologize if some of this post is slightly repetitive. I also see that it has gotten a bit long. Thanks for letting me ramble. :)

17. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Update Please

Kata-Kid, how goes the training in the new year? :)

18. serakmurid

serakmurid Valued Member

You might try the Indonesian art of Serak. It was developed by Pak Sera, a man who had a right club foot(short leg) and arm whose hand was attached at the elbow (he had no forearm). We do a type training called Jurus duduk, which is seated. There is also a system of self-defense using only one arm designed by the founder learned later in the art of Serak. We divide the body into three sections: the upper body, the hips and the legs. A good practitioner can do any of the throws/joint locks with any of the the 3 sections seperately. Unfortunately, the art is relatively rare. Garimot Kali is also excellent, I believe it was mentioned earlier in this thread.

19. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Cool

This looks like an interesting art. What types of conditioning do you do, and how hard do you spar?

20. Kata-Kid

Kata-Kid New Member

Sorry,,,,

I'm sorry that i haven't replied untill now, but i've been preetty busy at work (to busted at night to sit anymore at a computer). Since i've had no difficulties using the correct Kamae (well no errors that i have been made aware of:rolleyes:), i've had time to go over the miscellaneous hand-movements included in the blocks & throws. I also tried both Wing-Tsun and Aikido (not because i'm determined to change style, more to adapt to the situation & expand my curriculum according to the physical setbacks on my defense-side), and found them both pretty interesting. I haven't decided 100 percent on anything yet (except that i won't ever give up MA), but neither am i turning down ANY opportunity to learn new things :D :D !