good MA schools in/near london?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Fish Of Doom, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

sup people.

got a friend who's looking to possibly start MA as a way to re-ignite her fitness motivation via trying out new stuff after some injuries and assorted setbacks kept her out of the game for a while. anyone got any good recommendations? no preference as to style, as far as i know, so just suggest anything and everything that's accessible for a londoner :p

cheers
    fish

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Roger Gracie has a London school I believe

3. Aikidojomofo

Aikidojomofo Valued Member

They could come and check out the Yoshinkan Aikido dojo I train at

Links in signature

4. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

London is a big place fishman ...narrow down the area a bit ..

Snurf

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Narrow down the areas.

But the head Roger Gracie school (where Roger Gracie, currently considered the best BJJ player in the world, trains) is in London, Ladbroke Grove.

Lot's of females there and it's insanely well structured with insanely good teaching methods.

Also Lagarto (a world champ) and braulio estima (another world champ) teach a lot of the white belt classes, so you know your in good hands.

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Lagarto also has the second UK female blackbelt (Esther Tang) training with him and she's outstanding and a very nice person too! :)

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

There're some Choi Kwang do schools in London. :evil:

8. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

I train at http://www.londonfightfactory.com/ , I tend to think it's pretty awesome.

You should find out what area she'll be living/working in, London's a fairly large place.

9. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

11. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

the budokwai is quite an awesome place for judo!

also SOAS runs a FMA and capoeira class that is supposed to be top notch.

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I was thinking of checking out LFF, heard good things and also not too bad a price for where it is.

13. Janno

Janno Valued Member

Hey Fish - i run a class over at Kings Cross - www.london-arnis.co.uk - Monday 7pm-9pm is more about physical conditioning and combatives, and Thursday 7pm-9pm is more technical and syllabus work (there is plenty of crossover between the two though). If your mate fancies giving it a try, tell her to say "The fish sent me" and i'll sort her out with a freebie :)

14. Shardul

Shardul New Member

Sorry for the necro post but, if your friend is based around South and South West London, get her to try Fighting Fit

They do kickboxing and kung fu, and have branches in Wimbledon, Putney, Epsom, Kingston, New Malden and Tooting

15. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I went and looked at them a while back when I was recovering from a really bad back, and the impression I got was that it was extremely expensive for what you actually got.

16. Aegis

Looking on the website, I'm still of that opinion. £9 for an hour long class, then an undisclosed registration cost and a reduction in the fee to £7 for an hour long class.

17. Shardul

Shardul New Member

I think it was £65, last time I checked, for an annual martial arts license, insurance and membership fees to the club. In comparison, Holistic Fitness charges around £8.75 a class (based on their £35 for 1 class, once a week). The class length is usually 1 hour, you are correct, but it can sometimes run over this time limit, depending on the instructor.

Also depends what you want out of your martial arts - I've seen some schools that just spend an hour just doing sparring, others focus on self-defences and so on. I might be happy to pay £7 for a class where I do a little of everything (i.e. fitness, basics, padwork, self-defences) while you perhaps would rather spend the hour just doing forms/kata and their application.

18. Aegis

Those prices are very high, and the comparison with Holistic Fitness is not really the best because their prices are also very high.

For someone wanting to do just four hours of training a week, you'd be talking about close to £1,500 per year, not including the cost of uniforms (which are presumably marked up), gradings or other required equipment.

In contrast, it's still possible in London to find a decent style teaching for as little as £5 per two hour session, often with an annual fee of £20 or less to cover insurance. The same time training for a year, excluding the same costs, would be £500.

Hence why I think it's expensive.

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

This made me throw up in my mouth a little....

20. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

:eek:

Crikey, somebody report this guy for animal abuse!